Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner

Go down 
+3
Ali
cheekynffc
timthebim
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner Empty
PostSubject: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 6:22 pm

Quote :
With no Burns fight for Broner, Schaefer said there's a possibility the lightweight titlist will jump up two weight classes to challenge welterweight titlist Paulie Malignaggi on June 22 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. (Malignaggi's hometown).

"Paulie told me he is interested, and HBO likes the fight," Schaefer said. "People will like that fight. Paulie did tell me he would take it. He's not sure Broner would take it. I put it to [Broner manager] Al Haymon to talk to Adrien. I think it would be a very interesting fight."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/id/3345/broner-gamboa-nearing-new-dates

Last edited by Ali* on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:33 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 8:47 pm

Tailor made for broner.
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 12:39 am

timthebim wrote:
Tailor made for broner.

Maybe but this is still a huge jump up in weight for Broner.
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 1:05 am

Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 11:44 am

I agree huge jump in weight but Paulie can't punch for shit.
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 1:20 am

Quote :
Brash lightweight titlist Adrien Broner will move up two weight classes to challenge welterweight titleholder Paulie Malignaggi on June 22, Golden Boy Promotions announced Thursday.

The fight, the headliner of a Showtime card, will take place at Barclays Center in New York, Malignaggi's hometown, and will include heavyweights Johnathon Banks and Seth Mitchell in a rematch in the co-feature.

"This [kind of major] fight was the main motivation for winning my second world championship last year," Malignaggi said. "I wanted be in a huge main event at Barclays Center. This is a blockbuster event, and I can't wait to make a successful title defense in Brooklyn where my roots are."

Broner didn't think the location was an advantage for Malignaggi.

"Is the weight class ready for Adrien Broner? That's the question," Broner said. "It's a helluva fight. I don't care where the fight is. I'll fight him in a closet, his backyard, my backyard, the Barclays Center, at a barbecue. It don't really matter to me. Being in his hometown ain't gonna help him when I start beating his ass."

The card will mark the Showtime debuts of Broner and Mitchell, who were HBO regulars until the network recently announced it would stop buying fights from Golden Boy after the relationship deteriorated over the past year as the promoter moved more and more of its top fighters to rival Showtime.

"Broner is surprised Malignaggi took the fight, and Malignaggi is surprised that Broner took the fight," Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer said. "The interesting thing is what that shows you is both fighters are absolutely convinced beyond any doubt they'll win."

Malignaggi (32-4, 7 KOs), 32, a former junior welterweight titlist, and Cincinnati's Broner are two of boxing's most amusing trash-talkers. It didn't take long for them to get started.

"When guys move up a lot of times, they want to force a catch weight, try to meet you in the middle like [Manny] Pacquiao does all the time," Malignaggi said. "I was never asked about a catch weight. That was a positive thing. They look at my lack of knockouts and they never came with a catch weight. I think that shows their ignorance. It shows a bit of arrogance.

"Broner's supposed to be confident, but his team should know better. Not that I would accept a catch weight, but it shows arrogance or overconfidence. I think it will bite his team in the ass and they will feel very, very stupid on June 23."

Broner, who has won titles at junior lightweight and lightweight but is skipping over the talent-rich junior welterweight division, at least for the time being, said: "'Paulette' better be in some shape. On June 22, I will be a three-time world champion in three weight classes at just 23 years old.

"[Malignaggi] is a good fighter. He wouldn't be a world champion if he wasn't. He's a [trash]-talker. I'm a [trash]-talker. He backs it up some of the time. I back mine up all of the time. I never had no beef with Malignaggi, but at the end of the day, it's business. I'll kick his ass, and then we can be friends. If he takes it personal, that's on him, not for me."

After Malignaggi was stopped in the 11th round by Amir Khan in a 2010 junior welterweight title fight, he moved up to welterweight and has won five consecutive fights, including traveling to Ukraine last April and stopping Vyacheslav Senchenko on cuts in the ninth round to win a world title. In October, on the inaugural boxing card at Barclays Center, Malignaggi got knocked down in the 11th round but hung on to win a controversial split decision against Pablo Cesar Cano in his first defense.

"Paulie Malignaggi is the type of fighter that is not going to let anyone take his belt from him on his home turf, but he has his work cut out for him against one of the most talented fighters in the sport in undefeated rising superstar Adrien 'The Problem' Broner," Golden Boy president Oscar De La Hoya said.

Broner (26-0, 22 KOs) won a vacant junior lightweight belt via third-round knockout of Vicente Martin Rodriguez in Cincinnati in November 2011. Broner made one defense but was stripped for missing weight before facing Vicente Escobedo this past July. In November, Broner moved up to lightweight and dominated Antonio DeMarco en route to an eighth-round knockout to win another title. He dropped Gavin Rees twice in a fifth-round knockout in February.

With the top junior welterweights -- Danny Garcia, Zab Judah, Lamont Peterson, Lucas Matthysse and Khan -- all tied up with upcoming fights, Broner decided to make the jump from 135 pounds to 147 pounds when he was offered a shot at Malignaggi.

"I could have been offered a lot of fights -- Shane Mosley, Andre Berto, [Marcos] Maidana," Malignaggi said. "And I wound up with Broner. I found it ironic to be offered the most money to fight the smallest guy, a guy who has a lot to prove in my eyes. He's been fighting guys who can't fight. So when they offered him to me, I thought it was a joke at first.

"It was a no-brainer. I've always talked a big game and I've never said what I will say now -- I am going to beat the s--- out of this kid. He is not on my level at all. This is a bad matchup for him. It's not gonna be close. You got guys saying it's not going to be close at all because he's going to beat me. Well, those people are right. It's not going to be close, but they just have it the wrong way. I don't see any way he beats me."

Schaefer said Broner's move to 147 pounds for this fight does not preclude him from dropping to junior welterweight when top opponents become available.

"I can definitely see, assuming he is successful, that Broner will pick opponents after this fight that are among the top 140-pounders," Schaefer said. "There are a lot of big names and many are promoted by Golden Boy, so they are easy fights to make. At 140, there is not one name Adrien wouldn't fight. Khan-Broner or Broner against the winner of Garcia-Judah or Peterson-Matthysse, you name it. You can mix and match. He's willing to fight all of those guys, but they were not available. Not only is Broner willing, I want to make those fights. It takes a willing fighter and it also takes a willing promoter, and here you have both."

Detroit's Banks (29-1-1, 19 KOs), 30, scored three knockdowns and stopped Mitchell in the second round in November in an upset. Mitchell (25-1-1, 19 KOs), 30, of Brandywine, Md., exercised his contractual rematch option, and they were due to meet Feb. 16 on the Broner-Rees undercard. However, Banks broke his right thumb sparring, and the fight was postponed.

"I feel very good about this fight," Banks said. "I expect a more determined and a more powerful Seth Mitchell for the rematch, and I look forward to the challenge. I'm excited to be fighting and intend to put on a terrific performance."

Said Mitchell: "I'm excited about my opportunity to rematch Johnathon Banks. I was disappointed with my last performance against him and look forward to meeting him in the ring once again. My team has been working extremely hard in preparation for this fight. I'm confident that my performance will properly showcase my abilities and will reignite talks of me competing for the heavyweight championship of the world."

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9212818/adrien-broner-moving-2-classes-fight-paulie-malignaggi
Back to top Go down
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : froch, hatton, benn, duran, hagler, ponce de leon

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 5:04 am

Ali* wrote:
timthebim wrote:
Tailor made for broner.

Maybe but this is still a huge jump up in weight for Broner.

not really, i don't know what weight he walks around at but he could easily face malignaggi weighing 137 or 140 and not have to worry about being hit by that particular welterweight.
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 2:49 am

Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner BIyvodHCEAAaQJe.jpg%20large
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 6:55 am

LMAO Paulie tweeted this picture of Broner

Quote :
"No words for this, he isn't the can man. He's the purse man."
Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner Paulie-broner
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptyFri May 17, 2013 11:08 am

Paulie claims he has proof that Broner use to be a fan of his.

Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner Malignaggi-broner
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptyTue May 21, 2013 12:09 pm

Quote :
"Adrien Broner is an ugly ninja turtle looking dude. I'm fly and looking crispy. He sounds retarted. He rehearses all of his stuff. Once you come back at him, he has nothing to come back at you with," Malignaggi told The AK & Hitch Show. "Your say you're going to World Star me? I'll World Star myself, because I'm going to World Star you on that canvas and then I'm going to piss on you. Don't let me drop you because I will lift up my skirt and piss on you. I promise you."

http://www.boxingscene.com/malignaggi-warns-broner-ill-drop-you-then-piss-on-you--65756

lol!
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 8:03 pm

Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 7:08 pm

Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 1:10 pm

I've found myself rooting for Paulie to pull off an upset here, highly unlikely to happen but Broner really needs to be humbled IMO.

June 22
At Brooklyn, N.Y. (Showtime):
Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner, 12 rounds, for Malignaggi's WBA welterweight title; Johnathon Banks vs. Seth Mitchell, rematch, 12 rounds, heavyweights; Sakio Bika vs. Marco Antonio Periban, 12 rounds, for vacant WBC super middleweight title
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 5:24 pm

Paulie Malignaggi 146.4lbs vs. Adrien Broner 146.8lbs

Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner Broner-malignaggi%20(10)

Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner Broner-malignaggi%20(9)

Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner Broner-malignaggi%20(11)

Seth Mitchell 243.6lbs vs. Jonathon Banks 216.8lbs

Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner Mitchell-banks%20(1)

Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner Mitchell-banks%20(4)

Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner Mitchell-banks%20(2)

Sakio Bika 167.8lbs vs. Marco Antonio Periban 167.8lbs

Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner Bika-periban%20(3)
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 5:39 pm

These two are bound to meet in the near future.

Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner Hopkins-stevenson
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 3:49 pm

Broner gonna smash him
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 11:47 pm

3-1 Paulie
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 11:50 pm

3-2
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 11:54 pm

3-3
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 11:55 pm

I'd like to see Matthyse melt Broner's face off
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 11:58 pm

4-3 Broner
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 12:06 am

Broner's running away with it.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 5:48 am

Paulie needs to chill. It seemed to me like he was putting his Showtime job at risk with his ranting and raving at the end of the fight. Which would suck since i like his commentary.

Anyway, Broner has mad power but wasnt impressive. Somebody with workrate, skills, and power is going to dispatch of him. If Paulie just had a litle bit of power he wins this fight exacly how it played out. Plus, his act is too obviously contrived to be a true seller. A contrived act may work with MMA fans(Sonnen) but it really is an entirely different audience. He does not have the skills or the sincerity to be the next Floyd. He's just a try hard. A real boner. He's accomplished a lot while he is young and he'll be cut down while he's still young.
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 1:42 pm

I think they've made a huge mistake moving Broner up in weight so quickly, they should have took their time in allowing Broner to grow into his body by letting him compete at Lightweight this year and then moving to Jr Welterweight next year. At Welterweight he's going to be pretty small and it doesn't look like Broner will have the power to keep opponents off him. He might have a nice shoulder roll but it's not as effective as he thinks, opponents continue to tag him with ease and sooner or later he's going to face a Welterweight who's going to do damge. If Paulie had any power at all that fight would have had a different outcome.

Paulie is tough but when you consider the likes of Khan and Hatton were able to stop him that doesn't bode well for Broner.

Word is he may face Maidana next, if that happens I may strongly consider dropping coin on Maidana, sure he's tailor made for Broner to outbox but he's going to be in his chest all night long swinging away doing damage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner   Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner Empty

Back to top Go down

Showtime: Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next