Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session

Go down 
+6
acccardinal12
Ninja
Ludo
bobbitt15
killerofchicken
GDPofDRC
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session Empty
PostSubject: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 7:36 pm

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/7/3847076/eddie-alvarez-sued-bellator-after-they-tried-to-match-ufc-contract-mma

Eddie Alvarez has found himself in a sticky situation as the UFC and
Bellator battle for his services. He told The MMA Hour today that he's
now being sued by his former employer.

Last week it came out that Lightweight Eddie Alvarez
had gotten caught between the webs of the UFC and Bellator. Alvarez had
completed his contracted fights with Bellator after a first round KO of
Patricky Freire
in October. But when the UFC made him an offer in December, Bellator
decided to invoke their matching rights to keep him under their banner.
Alvarez announced his frustration with the situation on Twitter shortly after. On Monday he appeared on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani to discuss some more details:
Eddie Alvarez wrote:
Everyone's heard that Bellator has match and whatnot. it's a difficult
situation. We went to settlement a couple days ago. We had a settlement
meeting where everything was supposed to get worked out. I was sued
maybe 30 minutes after that. There's a lot of tension in the air.

We
don't believe it was matched at all. I wanted to give details but I
can't because we're in the middle of a pending lawsuit. If I want to go
to dinner with one guy and another guy asked me to dinner. If the
attention of one guy is to take me to a fine dining restaurant and the
other guy wants to take me to McDonald's, guy #2 just thinks dinner's
dinner.

They're going to the media and saying they matched the
offer, but in our opinion they didn't match at all. The terms are not
the same.

If this goes in front of anyone in court, they're
going to see that this is not a match. The truth is this is
disappointing. I gave a lot to Bellator and I don't get much back in
return.

If it was a match I'd be more than happy to honor the
contract. I would have no problem going to fight for Bellator. I'd love
to fight the Ben Henderson's and Gil Melendez's. The issues has to do
with being fair. The contract says at the end we get to match this
contract. I said yes to that 4 years ago. In our eyes it is not a match.
This is the difference of a lot of money.

It's up to the court now, man. I'm being sued. it's going up before a judge. I think it will become very clear.

it wasn't a Hector Lombard deal, but it was a good deal. And I consider a much bettor deal than what Bellator's offering.

Tried
to make an offer to make it fair. We offered a number, it was less than
projected UFC offer. The conversation was over in less tha a minute,
like "No way". It wasn't a half hour after that that I had a lawsuit.

This has been most violent, most tactical, most heartless battle I have ever been I and I don't have gloves or a mouthpiece in.
Eddie wasn't able to give a timeline for his expected return to
action. All he said was "A bad settlement is always better than great
litigation." For now he's being sued by Bellator for refusing to sign
the contract they presented to match the UFC's offer. According to his Twitter, Eddie believes he'd have to sit out for a year to nullify Bellator's matching rights.

Bloody Elbow will keep you updated as this story develops further.

Last edited by GDPofDRC on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 7:37 pm

They need to let him go. Bellator is hurting itself more then helping I think.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 9:02 pm

Well, i'm curious on what Bellators terms were. Id imagine it's not the same language as they have different business models so i hope Eddie isnt dismissing the contract based on that without really knowing what he's looking at. I'm sure the differences are non guaranteed terms.

Bellator either went over all the data and know their deal matches UFC's or they were trying to trick Eddie and now are trying to strong arm him. Since they are willing to present their offer in front of a court though, they must be confident they have a match. If the thing reaches a settlement then i just have the feeling Bellator was bluffing and were trying to trick Eddie into signing. Which is dirty.

I hope it is a match though. Would be a shame if UFC could keep poaching fighters with terms with no guaranteed value attached to them simply due to their PPV model. They can tell any fighter they are in line for PPV points and never put them in a position to earn those. Hector, for example, fought on FX and the big trump card in his deal was PPV points. Nothing wrong with incentive based deals, but i just hope Bellator actually does find a way to match those.

Bellator really should not have given Eddie those two fights. Patricky is alright but i don't know why they gave him the Aoki bout. I thought they were just trying to do the guy a favor and let him boost his value before he hit free agency to get him a better pay day because he was one of the foundation guys. Apprently not though..they just boosted his value to make him harder to keep. Im pretty sure it wasnt because they were trying to grab ratings because i don't think they cared about ratings for the MTV2 show. It does not make sense to give him the higher profile fights in the main event against 2 of the best non Zuffa LW's while Chandler fought an over the hill Akhiro Gono. Eddie should have been fighting Gono.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 12:11 am

Ghey!
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 4:58 pm

I am not shocked at all, had a feeling things would get ugly. I just hope Eddie doesn't suffer through this by sitting on the sidelines for too long.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:25 pm

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/01/eddie-alvarezs-ufc-offer-includes-immediate-title-shot-pay-per-view-cut

Quote :
A UFC contract outlines the company's intent to book Alvarez an immediate title shot in March and offers a cut of the promotion's pay-per-view profits, according to an exhibit in a lawsuit Bellator MMA filed against the 28-year-old fighter, a copy of which today was obtained by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

An eight-fight deal starts Alvarez at $70,000 to show and $70,000 to win and raises in $5,000 increments with each win until it tops out at a guaranteed $210,000 for a win, the exhibit states. Alvarez is also guaranteed a $250,000 signing bonus, payable in two installments of $85,000 and one of $80,000.

When Alvarez fights on a UFC pay-per-view broadcast, the offer entitles him to $1 for each "buy" between 200,000 and 400,000 buys, $2 per buy between 400,000 and 600,000 buys, and $2.50 per buy over 600,000 buys.

Additionally, Alvarez is guaranteed a fight on a UFC on FOX card and three appearances as a commentator at UFC-branded events.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 11:53 pm

Immediate title shot my ass.
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 2:16 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:

Yeah I'd love to see how that would sit with Gil, Pettis and Maynard.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 2:22 pm

Ali* wrote:
KingsOwn19 wrote:

WTF does Maynard have to complain about? 2 of his last 3 fights were for the title.
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 2:25 pm

OU wrote:
Ali* wrote:
KingsOwn19 wrote:

WTF does Maynard have to complain about? 2 of his last 3 fights were for the title.

Well to have Alvarez jumping ahead of him is a bit much, IMO Gray is only a couple wins away from getting another shot.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Personally, he is not at the front of my line at LW right now. But he has been a top contender and talent at LW imo for the last several years so if he did get the immediate shot, I'd have very little complaint. He is on equal footing more or less than those mentioned imo.
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 2:28 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:

Quote :
A UFC contract outlines the company's intent to book Alvarez an immediate title shot in March and offers a cut of the promotion's pay-per-view profits, according to an exhibit in a lawsuit Bellator MMA filed against the 28-year-old fighter, a copy of which today was obtained by MMAjunkie.com.

An eight-fight deal starts Alvarez at $70,000 to show and $70,000 to win and raises in $5,000 increments with each win until it tops out at a guaranteed $210,000 for a win, the exhibit states. Alvarez is also guaranteed a $250,000 signing bonus, payable in two installments of $85,000 and one of $80,000.

When Alvarez fights on a UFC pay-per-view broadcast, the offer entitles him to $1 for each "buy" between 200,000 and 400,000 buys, $2 per buy between 400,000 and 600,000 buys, and $2.50 per buy over 600,000 buys.

Additionally, Alvarez is guaranteed a fight on a UFC on FOX card and three appearances as a commentator at UFC-branded events.

Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session Bjorn-Rebney-at-Bellator-Press-ConferenceDH-e1335403160200
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 2:31 pm

Ali* wrote:
OU wrote:
Ali* wrote:
KingsOwn19 wrote:

Well to have Alvarez jumping ahead of him is a bit much, IMO Gray is only a couple wins away from getting another shot.
Fuck no it's not. EA beatdown Aoki and Pitbull his last 2 fights. Gray ran down huggie bear for a SD. Before that he was the only fucker to get knocked out by Edgar.
EA is closer to a shot then Maynard.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 2:33 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Personally, he is not at the front of my line at LW right now. But he has been a top contender and talent at LW imo for the last several years so if he did get the immediate shot, I'd have very little complaint. He is on equal footing more or less than those mentioned imo.
People are complaining about Gil since many felt he lost to Thompson last fight. But if Pettis loses to Cowboy then who out there is more deserving then Gil and Eddie? Cowboy sure the fuck won't be more deserving.
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 2:37 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a third Bendo vs. Cowboy fight.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 2:38 pm

Ali* wrote:
Maybe down the road. But you think Cowboy would have more rights to that shot then Eddie or Gil?
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 2:51 pm

Most peoples criticisms with Gil and Eddie has to do with UFC bias from people who do not see the real picture.
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 2:51 pm

OU wrote:
Ali* wrote:
Maybe down the road. But you think Cowboy would have more rights to that shot then Eddie or Gil?

It depends on his performance against Showtime, if Donald comes out and decimates Tony I wouldn't be shocked if he got a shot.

I think Gil will be next though.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 2:59 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Most peoples criticisms with Gil and Eddie has to do with UFC bias from people who do not see the real picture.
Exactly. I can't imagine anyone thinking Cowboy should even be in the same discussion for a title shot. Even with a win over Pettis.
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 6:11 pm

Alvarez is going to ask a judge to free him from Bellator so he can fight on the UFC 159 card.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/01/eddie-alvarez-and-bellator-head-to-court-as-potential-ufc-159-bout-looms

IF by some miracle Eddie does get free I reckon the UFC want Alvarez vs. Miller.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 6:20 pm

Ali* wrote:
Alvarez is going to ask a judge to free him from Bellator so he can fight on the UFC 159 card.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/01/eddie-alvarez-and-bellator-head-to-court-as-potential-ufc-159-bout-looms

IF by some miracle Eddie does get free I reckon the UFC want Alvarez vs. Miller.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1478368-eddie-alvarez-ufc-offer-included-pay-per-view-share-commentary-opportuities

the UFC's offer includes PPV points and an immediate title shot. Bellator probably loses this due to not being able to offer him up to 1.9mil for a single fight.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 10:26 pm

I'd be shocked if Alvarez didn't win but will it definitely get resolved Friday? I could see more hearings involved

I'd rather see EA-Maynard than Miller
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 12:18 am

Ali* wrote:

I wouldn't either considering Bendo lost the first fight.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 3:23 am

Lets not act like the Bendo of the UFC is the same fighter that fought Cowboy in the WEC, he's on another level
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 4:10 am

I'm about as big a Cerrone supporter as we have here at Ninja's, but I don't think he deserves a shot. Too many other sharks in that tank to be honest. A win over Pettis does help but he's still only two fights removed from being completely smashed by Diaz. If he gets past Pettis I say one more win would earn him a shot. I would put Maynard, Alvarez, and possibly even Melendez ahead of Cerrone in terms of the title shot pecking order. Of course this is subject to change with how the landscape at 155 is ever changing. Top 15 is essentially the top 10 in this division because of the sheer depth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session   Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session Empty

Back to top Go down

Bellator Sues Alvarez: Updates from todays court session
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next