Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Meathead ducks Cormier

Go down 
+4
timthebim
GDPofDRC
KingsOwn19
Farmer1906
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Meathead ducks Cormier Empty
PostSubject: Meathead ducks Cormier   Meathead ducks Cormier EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 10:41 pm

Quote :
"It f---ing makes me sick,"

"Listen, you don't want big opportunities, I hear you. I get it, then. All I can say is, I guess he doesn't want big opportunities. I get it. Duly noted.

"He wants to fight a guy who weighs 205, but doesn't want to fight the guy who's the real heavyweight, the legitimate guy who's ranked. And Mitrione's not getting any younger."

"F---in' insane," White said. "It makes no sense to me, and it's insane. I'm a little bummed out by it. We'll figure it out. Yeah, (he's already got a fight booked). He said, 'I'll just take that one.'"

"Cormier will fight anybody," White said. "The guys who are the real guys fight anybody, man. They'll fight anybody."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30874/ufc-boss-white-confirms-matt-mitrione-turned-down-strikeforce-fight-with-daniel-cormier.mma
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Meathead ducks Cormier   Meathead ducks Cormier EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 10:49 pm

He pulled a Bones
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meathead ducks Cormier   Meathead ducks Cormier EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 10:57 pm

Put Struve in there with Cormier.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Meathead ducks Cormier   Meathead ducks Cormier EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 11:05 pm

DC would have wrecked Mitrione big time. He's not ducking a fight, he's ducking an ass beating.

But it is a big oppurtunity for a 34 year old guy to turn down. Mitrione is probably alright with the money he makes now through purses and sponsers. He likely knows where he stands status wise, and at his age. I think he's a guy in his mid 30's and with only a few years of MMA training at best is only in it for the money and not to top the ranks.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Meathead ducks Cormier   Meathead ducks Cormier EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 1:56 am

Of all the names to throw in there against Daniel Cormier, Matt Mitrione is the one they try for? Maybe instead of being mad at Meathead, Dana White SHOULD GET FUCKING REAL. Mr. Hands off Strikeforce wants an undercard fighter to Headline against a guy who could potentially be fighting either JDS, Cain or Overeem in his next fight? Come'on now. That's worse then Bonnar vs Silva or Jones vs Sonnen by a wide margin.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Meathead ducks Cormier   Meathead ducks Cormier EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 3:49 am

Yeah Meathead has no business fighting DC anyways.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Meathead ducks Cormier   Meathead ducks Cormier EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 11:32 am

There's only so many guys that UFC is going to send over to SF to fight. Come on now. The only reason Mir was one was because he had just gotten his ass beat in a title fight
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meathead ducks Cormier   Meathead ducks Cormier EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 11:45 am

Should be Werdum.
Back to top Go down
cascade_run
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
cascade_run

PostSubject: Re: Meathead ducks Cormier   Meathead ducks Cormier EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 12:44 pm

Meathead would get smashed, why should he take a fight where he is overmatched, just to appease the almighty bald guy, who has Matt fought that would show White that he is ready for someone with DC's talent, I get the Jones callout he was the champ, but Meathead that is just low Dana
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meathead ducks Cormier   Meathead ducks Cormier EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 8:27 pm

Sending over Werdum eliminates a potential title challenger for 2013.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Meathead ducks Cormier   Meathead ducks Cormier EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 8:30 pm

Ali wrote:
Sending over Werdum eliminates a potential title challenger for 2013.

We have a pretty good list already.

Cain, Overeem, and Werdum/DC winner. That should cover 2013.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Meathead ducks Cormier   Meathead ducks Cormier EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 12:04 am

also considering that the title is only defended 3 times a year if the UFC is lucky. 3 contenders is fine and other guys come up. They can afford to put two of the top guys against each other.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meathead ducks Cormier   Meathead ducks Cormier EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 12:11 am

With the injuries that have been floating around lately it's better to keep Werdum ready for a title shot.
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Meathead ducks Cormier   Meathead ducks Cormier EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 11:44 am

meat did us all a favor but a barry match up is no better.
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Meathead ducks Cormier   Meathead ducks Cormier EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 7:49 pm

With the way the injury plague has hit the Zuffa family, it's virtually impossible to keep a card intact from the time the fights are matched until event night. Replacement opponents are a necessity, but seem to be in short supply, of late. Whole cards from both the UFC and Strikeforce have been cancelled, and now another Strikeforce main event is in jeopardy. Frank Mir was forced to pull out of his November 3rd meeting with heavyweight champion, Daniel Cormier more than two weeks ago, and a replacement has still not been named.

Dana White stated that the fight was offered to Matt Mitrione, but had been declined, and not much explanation was given. When a bout is offered to a fighter on short notice, several things need to be considered, most importantly, the level of competition should be factored in first. Cormier isn't just any guy. He's a former Olympian with outstanding wrestling skills and very good hand speed and knockout power. After the whole debacle with UFC 151, I've come to appreciate athletes that weigh the options and make choices that are best for their careers.

Mitrione has been remarkably silent over the last few days, so I reached out to him through his manager, Glenn Robinson of Authentic Sports Management. Over the course of a very brief e-mail interview, I got Matt's reasoning behind not taking the fight, and further explored his recent beef with Rampage Jackson. The interview, in it's entirety is as follows:

Stephie Daniels: In your own words, why did you turn down the fight with Daniel Cormier?

Matt Mitrione: First, I want to thank Dana White and Joe Silva for even offering that fight. It was an honor to get that call, and I would love to fight Daniel Cormier, but I'm just not ready right now. He has Olympic level wrestling, and although I have spent a great deal of time working on my wresting, I don't feel it would be my best fight back after such a long layoff. UFC worked hard to get me a fight this year, but my old opponent had visa issues and it caused additional time out of the cage. Wrestling is, by far, my weakest skill. I'm working hard on my wrestling, but it would be a huge weakness against me in a short notice fight against Cormier.

Stephie Daniels: Does the fact that this fight would have been in Strikeforce, which is noticeably deteriorating at a rapid rate, have anything to do with your choice to not fight Cormier?

Matt Mitrione: Not at all, if I thought I was ready for Cormier, I would fight him in Strikeforce or the UFC, or wherever.

Stephie Daniels: If Cormier had already been in the UFC, thus making this a higher profile fight, would you have been more inclined to take the fight?

Matt Mitrione: Whether this fight was in the UFC or Strikeforce makes no difference to me. I turned down Cormier the fighter, not the fight organization.

Stephie Daniels: Some fans have a knee-jerk reaction to want to blame the guy that turns down a short notice fight, regardless of the circumstances and reasoning. Does that bother you at all, and how do you address the negativity that can sometimes run off the rails in this sport?

Matt Mitrione: The way I look at it, a fan is a fan and I'll take the good and the bad that goes with having fans. It is a great honor to have fans care about me. The UFC wouldn't be where it is without the fans, and it's good that they are educated enough about the sport to make these complaints. The way I address the negativity is just to fight and win fights and constantly push myself.

Stephie Daniels: You have mentioned on a few occasions that you're interested in fighting Rampage Jackson, and I read somewhere that you even expressed interest in fighting Jon Jones. Are you serious in that contemplation, and does it mark a possible move down to 205?

Matt Mitrione: I'm going to stay at a heavyweight. I was willing to come down in weight a little to fight Rampage because it seemed like a fun and exciting fight to me. However, if Jones decided to move up to heavyweight I would fight him. That definitely seems like a fun and exciting fight to me. BUT, I wasn't going to light heavyweight. I wanted Rampage to come up to heavyweight and was willing to fight him at 235.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meathead ducks Cormier   Meathead ducks Cormier EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 10:44 am

Quote :
@danawhite I'll fight @gonzagabjj if you can get me a visa. I turned down DC due to rasslin, lemme take this fight!

https://twitter.com/mattmitrione/with_replies
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meathead ducks Cormier   Meathead ducks Cormier Empty

Back to top Go down

Meathead ducks Cormier
Page 1 of 1