Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tapping to Strikes?

Go down 
+4
Cu Bu
cheekynffc
KingsOwn19
GDPofDRC
8 posters
AuthorMessage
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

Tapping to Strikes? Empty
PostSubject: Tapping to Strikes?   Tapping to Strikes? EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 6:17 pm

Yes it is that time of the day when I steal threads from all over the web.

So anyways, I saw someone who felt like this
Quote :

I take a hard stance against its SHAMEFUL, the WORST WAY to lose an MMA
fight WHY you ask? It says I have the presence of mind to know i'm
taking a beating, I just lack the will/drive/determination to defend
myself.

I disagree, usually. I think that feeling works for the likes of Bobb Sapp, not many others. Shogun, GSP, Griffin etc., to me, these guys tapping in the manner they did is not all that different from if someone was tapping from a submission hold.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Tapping to Strikes?   Tapping to Strikes? EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 6:34 pm

I don't have a problem with it. Mainly only fans make fun of fighters tapping to strikes and THAT is what is shameful..sometimes you get a guy like Chuck Liddell who gets knocked out cold and never took enough of a cumulative beating to tap to strikes like some guys do making fun of people tapping to strikes. There is no shame in admitting when you've had enough.
Back to top Go down
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : froch, hatton, benn, duran, hagler, ponce de leon

PostSubject: Re: Tapping to Strikes?   Tapping to Strikes? EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 5:00 am

depends on the circumstances i suppose but if you're in a position where you're getting your face punched in and aren't in a position to try and do anything about it, the ref should have already stopped the fight before you feel compelled to tap.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: Tapping to Strikes?   Tapping to Strikes? EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 8:12 am

no tap to strikes let your corner throw the towel if the ref is not going to stop it
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Tapping to Strikes?   Tapping to Strikes? EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 11:16 am

Cu Bu wrote:
no tap to strikes let your corner throw the towel if the ref is not going to stop it

You cannot rely on that. Did you watch MFC 33? Ryan McGillivray got his ass beat and was bloodied up and KO'd several times but the ref didn't catch it or think it warranted stoppage. Greg Jackson, Mr. MMA Corner man All-Star, was cornering McGillivray and when it went to the round you could tell Ryan was not coherent and slipping in and out of consciousness. So what does Jackson do, yell at him to "Wake up! Wake up!, ..... you can still win this fight!". To a fighter that is slipping off the stool and they are propping him up between rounds. Thankfully a doctor saw this and intervened, he would not permit McGillvary to continue. But Jackson was gung ho about sending this heavily damaged kid out there to get more permanent damage.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/5/5/3000452/pat-miletich-not-afraid-to-call-out-judges-greg-jackson-at-mfc-33
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Tapping to Strikes?   Tapping to Strikes? EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 11:42 am

Good for Pat.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Tapping to Strikes?   Tapping to Strikes? EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 4:49 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Cu Bu wrote:

You cannot rely on that. Did you watch MFC 33? Ryan McGillivray got his ass beat and was bloodied up and KO'd several times but the ref didn't catch it or think it warranted stoppage. Greg Jackson, Mr. MMA Corner man All-Star, was cornering McGillivray and when it went to the round you could tell Ryan was not coherent and slipping in and out of consciousness. So what does Jackson do, yell at him to "Wake up! Wake up!, ..... you can still win this fight!". To a fighter that is slipping off the stool and they are propping him up between rounds. Thankfully a doctor saw this and intervened, he would not permit McGillvary to continue. But Jackson was gung ho about sending this heavily damaged kid out there to get more permanent damage.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/5/5/3000452/pat-miletich-not-afraid-to-call-out-judges-greg-jackson-at-mfc-33

Agree, corners let their fighters get their asses beat into bloody pulps all the time. The bad ref non stoppages we have talked about, wether it be the recent wiedman fight or the curran fight, or the worst one imo, Jones vs Hamill? Where were the corners there? Corners have proven totally incapable of protecting their fighters.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Tapping to Strikes?   Tapping to Strikes? EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 7:37 pm

The problem with letting your corner throw in the towel is that that doesn't necessarily end the fight under the unified rules. The Ref must see a thrown towel in order to act on it but even if he does see it he's not required to stop the fight because of it.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Tapping to Strikes?   Tapping to Strikes? EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 9:46 am

IMO tapping to strikes should always be ruled a TKO and not a submission. IMO when you too hurt to continue fighting due to strikes, that is a TKO. Does anyone remember when Franklin McNiel was talking about JDS' submission game leading into the Cain fight saying that he submitted Cro Cop? LOL
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Tapping to Strikes?   Tapping to Strikes? EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 12:37 pm

OU wrote:
IMO tapping to strikes should always be ruled a TKO and not a submission. IMO when you too hurt to continue fighting due to strikes, that is a TKO. Does anyone remember when Franklin McNiel was talking about JDS' submission game leading into the Cain fight saying that he submitted Cro Cop? LOL

Agree. While McNeil exposed his utter ignorance, he also shed light on how misleading it is to count tapping to strikes as a sub. We all have a common idea as to what a submission game is, and it does not include punching a guy in the face.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Tapping to Strikes?   Tapping to Strikes? EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 1:42 pm

captain organic wrote:
OU wrote:

Agree. While McNeil exposed his utter ignorance, he also shed light on how misleading it is to count tapping to strikes as a sub. We all have a common idea as to what a submission game is, and it does not include punching a guy in the face.
IMO it should be equal to the corner throwing in the towel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tapping to Strikes?   Tapping to Strikes? Empty

Back to top Go down

Tapping to Strikes?
Page 1 of 1