[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]
 
Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 London 2012 Olympics

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt


Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den
Posts : 17542
Join date : 2009-07-19
Age : 30
Location : D Town

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:23 pm

Field hockey must be extremely popular around the world .....

_________________
1X Ninjas Place Boxing GOR Champ (4 defenses)
Ninja Place GP runner up (ya i lost to the illustrious LA)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely
Posts : 21275
Join date : 2009-08-04
Age : 98
Location : Fresyes, CA

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:50 pm

Not must be, is.

_________________
captain organic wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Are u fucking serious with this post bro? ur a newbie to MMA compared to me, I watch all fights, but don't get a hard on unless guys are in the top 30.

Uh, Are u fucking serious with this post bro?



WAR WAR WAR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett
Posts : 12426
Join date : 2009-07-16
Location : Northern California

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:43 pm

popularity isnt really the issue. Even if real football was more popular worldwide nobody would be able or want to step to the US. Much like basketball was for the first 30-40 years where the US never lost.

The thing about ping pong and some of these other wtf sports in the olympics is that the field is competitive because while nobody gives a shit, people do play that everywhere. BJJ for example would be completely dominated by Brazil every time, only the U.S and Japan would be respectable. The rest of the world has no fuckin clue.

However, i think the way to make sports like real football and BJJ more popular worldwide is to make them olympic sports. The Basketball field become more competitive eventually because its olympic exposure helped the sport grow because nothing motivates a culture to look into a sport more than watching their country humiliated olympic after olympic because they don't know what the fuck they are doing.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt


Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den
Posts : 17542
Join date : 2009-07-19
Age : 30
Location : D Town

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:34 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
popularity isnt really the issue. Even if real football was more popular worldwide nobody would be able or want to step to the US. Much like basketball was for the first 30-40 years where the US never lost.

The thing about ping pong and some of these other wtf sports in the olympics is that the field is competitive because while nobody gives a shit, people do play that everywhere. BJJ for example would be completely dominated by Brazil every time, only the U.S and Japan would be respectable. The rest of the world has no fuckin clue.

However, i think the way to make sports like real football and BJJ more popular worldwide is to make them olympic sports. The Basketball field become more competitive eventually because its olympic exposure helped the sport grow because nothing motivates a culture to look into a sport more than watching their country humiliated olympic after olympic because they don't know what the fuck they are doing.

Your forgetting about the USSR era

_________________
1X Ninjas Place Boxing GOR Champ (4 defenses)
Ninja Place GP runner up (ya i lost to the illustrious LA)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt


Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den
Posts : 17542
Join date : 2009-07-19
Age : 30
Location : D Town

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:40 pm

Lichtenstein got smoked in that 400

_________________
1X Ninjas Place Boxing GOR Champ (4 defenses)
Ninja Place GP runner up (ya i lost to the illustrious LA)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:28 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
You state football isn't popular enough to be a sport yet ping pong, archery and horse back riding are sports . Your argument is horse shit which shockingly surprises no one

Lol, where did I say that those sports should be in the Olympics either? btw, at least more than 2 countries play those sports. You can't have an America vs Canada Olympics tourny for AF. Stick to terrorism topics or hanging off the Shamrocks nuts.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:30 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
popularity isnt really the issue. Even if real football was more popular worldwide nobody would be able or want to step to the US. Much like basketball was for the first 30-40 years where the US never lost.

The thing about ping pong and some of these other wtf sports in the olympics is that the field is competitive because while nobody gives a shit, people do play that everywhere. BJJ for example would be completely dominated by Brazil every time, only the U.S and Japan would be respectable. The rest of the world has no fuckin clue.

However, i think the way to make sports like real football and BJJ more popular worldwide is to make them olympic sports. The Basketball field become more competitive eventually because its olympic exposure helped the sport grow because nothing motivates a culture to look into a sport more than watching their country humiliated olympic after olympic because they don't know what the fuck they are doing.

There would be no point making American Football an Olympic sport because no other country will ever have a major league. People around the world would rather play Rugby and that will never change.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett
Posts : 12426
Join date : 2009-07-16
Location : Northern California

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:58 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
KingsOwn19 wrote:
popularity isnt really the issue. Even if real football was more popular worldwide nobody would be able or want to step to the US. Much like basketball was for the first 30-40 years where the US never lost.

The thing about ping pong and some of these other wtf sports in the olympics is that the field is competitive because while nobody gives a shit, people do play that everywhere. BJJ for example would be completely dominated by Brazil every time, only the U.S and Japan would be respectable. The rest of the world has no fuckin clue.

However, i think the way to make sports like real football and BJJ more popular worldwide is to make them olympic sports. The Basketball field become more competitive eventually because its olympic exposure helped the sport grow because nothing motivates a culture to look into a sport more than watching their country humiliated olympic after olympic because they don't know what the fuck they are doing.

Your forgetting about the USSR era

No i'm not. The USSR era came after over 30 years of american dominance...i mentioned that other countries started to come around but it took awhile. I just didnt mention them specifically but obviously the whole point of me mentioning US reign over olympic basketball was to show that the field became competitive worldwide after awhile, which obviously takes into account what the Soviet Union was able to do...and i think the olympic exposure had a lot to do with that. Especially for the Soviet Union because they were typically the distant second best country that got blown out everytime they played the US in the medal game..but they got better and so did the other countries.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
avatar

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi
Posts : 10224
Join date : 2009-07-15
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:18 am

Current Metal Count
1 China 6 (G), 4 (S), 2 (B) = 12
2 United States 3 (G), 5 (S), 3 (B) = 11
3 Italy 2 (G), 3 (S), 2 (B) = 7
4 Korea 2 (G), 1 (S), 2 (B) = 5
5 France 2 (G), 1 (S), 1 (B) = 4
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
avatar

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom
Posts : 6476
Join date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:54 am

freakzilla wrote:
Lol, where did I say that those sports should be in the Olympics either? btw, at least more than 2 countries play those sports. You can't have an America vs Canada Olympics tourny for AF. Stick to terrorism topics or hanging off the Shamrocks nuts.

But you can have it for olympic womens hockey.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:09 am

Ludo wrote:
freakzilla wrote:
Lol, where did I say that those sports should be in the Olympics either? btw, at least more than 2 countries play those sports. You can't have an America vs Canada Olympics tourny for AF. Stick to terrorism topics or hanging off the Shamrocks nuts.

But you can have it for olympic womens hockey.

Plenty of countries play this sport.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:09 am

No other country would get within 100 points of the U.S in AF.
Back to top Go down
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt


Favorite Fighter(s) : froch, hatton, benn, duran, hagler, ponce de leon
Posts : 1510
Join date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:53 am

HGH is on the olympic banned substance list so the US would have a difficult time putting a team out if gridiron was an olympic sport.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt


Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den
Posts : 17542
Join date : 2009-07-19
Age : 30
Location : D Town

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:28 pm

Damn USA boxing lost its first bout

_________________
1X Ninjas Place Boxing GOR Champ (4 defenses)
Ninja Place GP runner up (ya i lost to the illustrious LA)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt


Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den
Posts : 17542
Join date : 2009-07-19
Age : 30
Location : D Town

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:34 pm

Freak I've forgotten more about Mma and boxing than you will ever know

Your argument was nfl wasn't popular enough to be an Olympic sport, thereby inferring that all these other sports are more popular than nfl, sorry to prove you wron

_________________
1X Ninjas Place Boxing GOR Champ (4 defenses)
Ninja Place GP runner up (ya i lost to the illustrious LA)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:43 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
Freak I've forgotten more about Mma and boxing than you will ever know

Your argument was nfl wasn't popular enough to be an Olympic sport, thereby inferring that all these other sports are more popular than nfl, sorry to prove you wron

Lol, how does me saying that AF wasn't popular enough mean that all these other sports are? If it was up to me then half the olympic sports wouldn't even be there.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely
Posts : 21275
Join date : 2009-08-04
Age : 98
Location : Fresyes, CA

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:27 pm

Bird you haven't really proven anything.

Football isn't popular enough, if it was, people would actually be playing somewhere other than just one country. Simple as that. Those other sports you keep mentioning, played by tens of millions of people globally, most have official federations in the range of 150 to 200 countries out of 205 participating in the Olympics. Once people actually give a shit about football in a country other than this one, they will start playing it.

_________________
captain organic wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Are u fucking serious with this post bro? ur a newbie to MMA compared to me, I watch all fights, but don't get a hard on unless guys are in the top 30.

Uh, Are u fucking serious with this post bro?



WAR WAR WAR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
avatar

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi
Posts : 10224
Join date : 2009-07-15
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:45 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Bird you haven't really proven anything.

Football isn't popular enough, if it was, people would actually be playing somewhere other than just one country. Simple as that. Those other sports you keep mentioning, played by tens of millions of people globally, most have official federations in the range of 150 to 200 countries out of 205 participating in the Olympics. Once people actually give a shit about football in a country other than this one, they will start playing it.

Football requires huge athletes and money. Name a country that has both besides the US.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely
Posts : 21275
Join date : 2009-08-04
Age : 98
Location : Fresyes, CA

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:49 pm

lol barriers to participation, check off more reasons why this isn't a popular sport, thanks.

And do elaborate on the huge athletes please.

_________________
captain organic wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Are u fucking serious with this post bro? ur a newbie to MMA compared to me, I watch all fights, but don't get a hard on unless guys are in the top 30.

Uh, Are u fucking serious with this post bro?



WAR WAR WAR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
avatar

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom
Posts : 6476
Join date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:08 pm

freakzilla wrote:
Ludo wrote:
freakzilla wrote:
Lol, where did I say that those sports should be in the Olympics either? btw, at least more than 2 countries play those sports. You can't have an America vs Canada Olympics tourny for AF. Stick to terrorism topics or hanging off the Shamrocks nuts.

But you can have it for olympic womens hockey.

Plenty of countries play this sport.

Yes, and it's always US and Canada in the finals. The other countries get straight up murdered by the US and Canada in womens hockey. In the 2010 winter games the Canadian womens team had 42 goals for and only 2 goals against. The US team had 31 for and 1 against. Then in the semi finals the US beat Sweden 9-1, while Canada beat Finland 5-0. I don't know if you're familiar with hockey at all, but that's complete domination.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely
Posts : 21275
Join date : 2009-08-04
Age : 98
Location : Fresyes, CA

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:21 pm

Yet Canada didn't even qualify for women's Hockey this year.

_________________
captain organic wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Are u fucking serious with this post bro? ur a newbie to MMA compared to me, I watch all fights, but don't get a hard on unless guys are in the top 30.

Uh, Are u fucking serious with this post bro?



WAR WAR WAR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
avatar

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom
Posts : 6476
Join date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:28 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Yet Canada didn't even qualify for women's Hockey this year.

What are you talking about? Canada's womens team took gold at the World Championships this year.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely
Posts : 21275
Join date : 2009-08-04
Age : 98
Location : Fresyes, CA

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:31 pm

You must be talking about ice hockey then.

_________________
captain organic wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Are u fucking serious with this post bro? ur a newbie to MMA compared to me, I watch all fights, but don't get a hard on unless guys are in the top 30.

Uh, Are u fucking serious with this post bro?



WAR WAR WAR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
avatar

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom
Posts : 6476
Join date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:31 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
You must be talking about ice hockey then.

I was. That's why I mentioned the 2010 winter games and whatnot.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely
Posts : 21275
Join date : 2009-08-04
Age : 98
Location : Fresyes, CA

PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:39 pm

I don't generally read other peoples posts, 99% of the time I just know what to say. You have bared witness to the 1% phenomena. But you are right about two counties being consistently better then the others. But in terms of the conversation about football, it doesn't support the idea that there is a significant amount of international interest in the sport to justify it's inclusion in the Olympics. The international Women's Ice Hockey community is nearly 40 countries deep. They are interested in it, they like, they play it.

Winter games are an oddity because most countries have natural barriers that prohibit participation in those sports. There is no rich history of alpine sking in Morocco.

_________________
captain organic wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Are u fucking serious with this post bro? ur a newbie to MMA compared to me, I watch all fights, but don't get a hard on unless guys are in the top 30.

Uh, Are u fucking serious with this post bro?



WAR WAR WAR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: London 2012 Olympics   

Back to top Go down
 
London 2012 Olympics
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 Similar topics
-
» The London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics at the ExCel Centre: A Cleaner's Story - Part One
» London 2012 Edition
» London 2012 Olympic video game - improvements to be made?
» Brian Roe - Australia should have reps in 100m at Olympics
» Olympics, Day 7

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ninja's Place :: Sports Discussion :: International Sports-
Jump to: