Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final

Go down 
+6
Ludo
KingsOwn19
bobbitt15
Ninja
killerofchicken
Farmer1906
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:12 am

would have been nice if Cormier didnt do the back turn runaway thing at the end there, but great performance

50-45

Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:12 am

And Cormier won every round. 50-46, maybe 50-45. Cormier needs a title shot. He should get it over Cain IMO.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:14 am

i agree...and i think he will get the shot.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:17 am

Could we have another Rashad/Jon with Cain/Cormier?

Cain/Rashad the former champ about to get another title shot. The young up and comer teammate Jon/Cormier gets the title shot. Rivalry ensues.

Josh says he broke his hand in the first. Sucks. Wonder what would have happened.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:18 am

Cormier vs JDS would be sick. If Cain wins the title then I don't think he and Cormier would fight.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:18 am

anticlimatic ending for what was once a really good fight, and very good card.

Both guys were real impressive. Cormier obviously more-so.

Would have liked to have seen Daniel go harder for the finish, but Barnett was eating the best Cormier had to dish out so I can see the reluctance.

Broken hand in the first? Would it have really mattered?

Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:20 am

Farmer1906 wrote:
And Cormier won every round. 50-46, maybe 50-45. Cormier needs a title shot. He should get it over Cain IMO.

Agree let Cain win a few and build some hype back up. Cormier brings the hype right now.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:27 am

Farmer1906 wrote:
Could we have another Rashad/Jon with Cain/Cormier?

Cain/Rashad the former champ about to get another title shot. The young up and comer teammate Jon/Cormier gets the title shot. Rivalry ensues.

Josh says he broke his hand in the first. Sucks. Wonder what would have happened.

I don't know. I think there is a huge difference when you consider the personalities involved in the Team Jackson break up. I think AKA is a tighter team and Cain and Cormier are less likely to have a that kind of fall out. Evans has a huge ego that is easily damaged and Jones is Jones. Cormier and Cain are pretty humble guys. I don't think it will be a problem, though you know Dana will try to stir it.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptySun May 20, 2012 11:53 am

Frank Shamrock is the worst MMA commentator ever, but man is it nice to go a night without Goldberg
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:42 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Frank Shamrock is the worst MMA commentator ever, but man is it nice to go a night without Goldberg

Tito Ortiz was the worst of all time for Affliction.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptySun May 20, 2012 3:35 pm

Mauro and Frank and Pat were all utterly insufferable. The best fight of the night lasted thirty seconds. I liked the main event some some rounds in the Melendez fight, but Melendez is straight up gonna drop in my rankings. Cormier should have had a point taken for the incredible eye gouging and fish hooking he went back to over and over. Horrible officiating all night long.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptySun May 20, 2012 4:10 pm

Where will Gil drop to? I think I have him 6th or 7th in mine and won't be moving him either direction.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptySun May 20, 2012 4:45 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
Where will Gil drop to? I think I have him 6th or 7th in mine and won't be moving him either direction.

6th seemed low prior to the fight, I thought he was pretty clear top 3. He could have dropped but I think 6 might still be a little low post fight.

I do trust Gil on the lack of motivation factor. So I won't punish him too much for these relatively unimpressive victories.

I think Josh pumped big juice back into his career. lw is stacked so he doesn't jump into the top 10, but he's not too far outside it.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptySun May 20, 2012 8:06 pm

being potentially robbed in a fight with a top three kind of fighter, we definitely need to look at where he is in the rankings. The division has 15 top 10 fighters honestly
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptySun May 20, 2012 9:55 pm

captain organic wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:

6th seemed low prior to the fight, I thought he was pretty clear top 3. He could have dropped but I think 6 might still be a little low post fight.

I do trust Gil on the lack of motivation factor. So I won't punish him too much for these relatively unimpressive victories.

I think Josh pumped big juice back into his career. lw is stacked so he doesn't jump into the top 10, but he's not too far outside it.

I didn't punish him, I just didn't move him up. I have him behind Bendo, Edgar, Maynard, Diaz, and Showtime.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptySun May 20, 2012 10:55 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
captain organic wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:

I didn't punish him, I just didn't move him up. I have him behind Bendo, Edgar, Maynard, Diaz, and Showtime.

Ay, just talking on my own rankings(and at wolfs response to an extent) cause typically you'd want the(arguably) #1 fighter in the division to run through Josh Thomson(although as noted I thought Josh fought and excellent fight).
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 12:55 am

Maybe Josh is better than we thought+ uniquely matches up well with Melendez
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 7:47 pm

8.5/10

Great card. This was an MMA fans type of card. Exciting mix of technical straight up brawling fights, real competitive.

Cormier looked great, much better than I thought he would of. That was a great fight, Josh wasn't backing down but it was Cormier's night. SF doesn't have a fighter for him to fight. HW division needs to be fully folded over now, fuck all that the GP winner has to fight nonsense.

I had Thomson winning the 1st, 4th and 5th rounds over Melendez, but a draw might make more sense. FotN easily. These guys just always produce great fights against one another and rankings and history be damned, that is awesome to see and I want to see it again. Hate to see all the eye strikes, reminds me of all the low blows Thomson ate in their second fight. SF saying they don't want these guys to fight again is majorly asinine. Josh fought up and beyond his opponents level tonight and it was awesome.

Cavalcante vs Mousasi? Just like the other two divisions, that's it, then what? Cavalcante needs challenges.

Still haven't watched the Spang vs Burell fight so cannot comment.

The prelim show was great. So many good close fights. And what a war between Zwicker and Inocente. Love that shit.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Spang fight was sweet. Whole card was sweet.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 8:01 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Maybe Josh is better than we thought+ uniquely matches up well with Melendez

It shouldnt come as a shock. Josh is a very well rounded fighter and it's not like there wasnt already 50 minutes of available Melendez vs. JT fight video to ensure everybody that this wouldnt be a cakewalk for Gil. These guys match up very well style wise and JT also know Melendez game pretty damn well. Maybe a Pac-Marquez-esque matchup. Melendez has looked much more dominant against better fighters than Thomson and Thomson has looked much worse against lesser fighters than Gil.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 9:19 pm

JT vs Melendez got better in the last few rounds but was easily the most boring uneventful fight of the three fights they've had. Perhaps Mauro and Frank and their utterly unlistenable shilling worked against the fight. MAMA MIA WHAT A FIGHT. No, it was an alright fight dude, and a flat disappointment when graded against the other 2.

Josh and Cormier fought well for 5 rounds, and it was a pretty good paced fight for a HW bout, but the fight was marred badly by Cormier's fleeing at the end. I hated that.

You know I like Melendez, been on Cormier since before most MMA fans even knew his name(remember when everyone said I was crazy when I said he'd smash Lesnar? which he would have) and normally like Mauro, Frank and Pat, but for me, this card was a 7 at best.

I enjoyed it but not nearly as much as I do most SF cards.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 9:29 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
JT vs Melendez got better in the last few rounds but was easily the most boring uneventful fight of the three fights they've had. Perhaps Mauro and Frank and their utterly unlistenable shilling worked against the fight. MAMA MIA WHAT A FIGHT. No, it was an alright fight dude, and a flat disappointment when graded against the other 2.

Josh and Cormier fought well for 5 rounds, and it was a pretty good paced fight for a HW bout, but the fight was marred badly by Cormier's fleeing at the end. I hated that.

You know I like Melendez, been on Cormier since before most MMA fans even knew his name(remember when everyone said I was crazy when I said he'd smash Lesnar? which he would have) and normally like Mauro, Frank and Pat, but for me, this card was a 7 at best.

I enjoyed it but not nearly as much as I do most SF cards.

To be fair you said that about 90% of HWs. Throw enough shit on the wall and eventually some of it will stick.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 9:36 pm

No, I listed 8 or 10 I felt would beat him. I always said he was a top ten HW, just not the best, certainly not number 1.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptyTue May 22, 2012 4:10 am

GDPofDRC wrote:
8.5/10

Great card. This was an MMA fans type of card. Exciting mix of technical straight up brawling fights, real competitive.

Cormier looked great, much better than I thought he would of. That was a great fight, Josh wasn't backing down but it was Cormier's night. SF doesn't have a fighter for him to fight. HW division needs to be fully folded over now, fuck all that the GP winner has to fight nonsense.

I had Thomson winning the 1st, 4th and 5th rounds over Melendez, but a draw might make more sense. FotN easily. These guys just always produce great fights against one another and rankings and history be damned, that is awesome to see and I want to see it again. Hate to see all the eye strikes, reminds me of all the low blows Thomson ate in their second fight. SF saying they don't want these guys to fight again is majorly asinine. Josh fought up and beyond his opponents level tonight and it was awesome.

Cavalcante vs Mousasi? Just like the other two divisions, that's it, then what? Cavalcante needs challenges.

Still haven't watched the Spang vs Burell fight so cannot comment.

The prelim show was great. So many good close fights. And what a war between Zwicker and Inocente. Love that shit.

this is just my opinion but I really think that StrikeForce was hoping to prop Milendez up as the "real" #1 Lightweight and hope he went on a Wandy esqua Pride Japanese beatdown run over "lighter" less well known competition.

Thats why Thomson being the Mongoose to Milendez's snake (or is he the snake to my mongoose?) is a big problem for SF, hence not wanting a rematch.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 EmptyTue May 22, 2012 4:12 am

did any of that make sense? or was I just rambling?

KNIBB HIGH FOOTBALL RULES!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final   Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Strikeforce: Heavyweight Grand Prix Final
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4