Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?

Go down 
+7
Andrew the Raider King
Farmer1906
LA
bobbitt15
MMAEYES
Ludo
Ninja
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

A) Rematch vs Ben Henderson
More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? Vote_lcap80%More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? Vote_rcap
 80% [ 8 ]
B) Featherweight Title Fight vs Jose Aldo
More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? Vote_lcap20%More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? Vote_rcap
 20% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage

More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? Empty
PostSubject: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:24 pm

A) Rematch vs Ben Henderson

B) Featherweight Title Fight vs Jose Aldo
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:31 pm

Rematch with Bendo considering I think he won. Even if you scored the fight for Bendo, if that upkick never landed how different do you think the result of that fight would be?

Aldo is a pretty bad matchup for Frankie. I think Frankie could take Jose down, but could he hold him there? I'm not too sure. On the feet Aldo is much faster and hits alot harder. I think if the fight stays on the feet for any long duration, Aldo will stop Frankie.

Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:38 pm

Ninja wrote:
Rematch with Bendo considering I think he won. Even if you scored the fight for Bendo, if that upkick never landed how different do you think the result of that fight would be?

Then it becomes 48-47 Bendo instead...
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:39 pm

Tough call imo but I'm going Bendo rematch cause even though I think Bendo would win the rematch I don't know if he could finish frankie, I'm pretty sure Aldo would finish a fight against Frankie.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:41 pm

Ludo wrote:
Ninja wrote:

Yes, because getting upkicked in the face, getting your nose broken, and getting almost knocked out won't affect your performance for the rest of the fight. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:47 pm

I thought Bendo won the 2nd round even before the upkick. Thought Frankie's TD might steal it for him which woulda been BS. Tough to say how the rest of the fight would've played out. Would've been a close one
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:01 am

Ninja wrote:
Ludo wrote:
Ninja wrote:

Yes, because getting upkicked in the face, getting your nose broken, and getting almost knocked out won't affect your performance for the rest of the fight. Rolling Eyes

No more than having your face beaten with 50 punches, having your nose broken, and almost getting knocked out in a round like he took in the second fight with Maynard. rendeer
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:20 am

Ludo wrote:
Ninja wrote:
Ludo wrote:
Ninja wrote:

No more than having your face beaten with 50 punches, having your nose broken, and almost getting knocked out in a round like he took in the second fight with Maynard. rendeer

The difference being Maynard gassed because he threw all those punches, which is one of the crucial reasons why Frankie won the fight..Bendo did not... cherry
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:38 am

We were talking about the lasting effects of a single upkick to the face. It's not even close to the beating Maynard put on Frankie in that round. So all things being not so equal I stand by My original statement that barring that kick it'd have still been 48-47 Bendo. elephant
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:57 am

That single up kick caused more damage and hurt Frankie more than anything Maynard landed. Fighting with a cracked nose that affects your breathing kind of puts you at a disadvantage for the rest of the fight.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:14 am

That upkick was a last hurra in a lost rd, it more made it a 10-10 then 10-9, but Frankie could beat either of these guys equally so whateves, not worth a thread, but post...
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 9:07 am

He already came close to beating Bendo. I don't like his chances versus one of the best. He'll lose the speed advantage he is used to having. He might have some success by with good footwork and trying to outpoint Aldo, but I don't think it lasts enough to win 3 rounds.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 10:13 am

I personally think he would give Jose fits, though I don't think he is an easy fight for either fighter.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 10:19 am

bendo obviously
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 10:25 am

Looks like Aldo's coach agrees with me.

--

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/138448.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Frankie Edgar would be making the wrong career choice by moving to featherweight, according to Jose Aldo's head coach.

Edgar lost his UFC lightweight title over the weekend, dropping a controversial decision to Ben Henderson in the UFC 144 main event. The fight was so close that Edgar now wants an immediate rematch.

Certainly the idea of a rematch is a significant option for the UFC, but there is also another direction Edgar's career could take. A natural featherweight, it is widely believed The Truth has been punching above his weight, and that a move to 145lbs would benefit him.

If Edgar did drop down he could potentially walk straight into a title match against reigning featherweight champion Aldo, in a bout that would undoubtedly act as a big pay-per-view seller for the UFC.

However, Nova Uniao head coach Andre Pederneiras knows Aldo better than anyone, which means he knows how to beat the brilliant Brazilian. And in his eyes, Edgar is not the answer.

"The biggest advantage that Edgar has he would lose at 66kg, that is his speed," Pederneiras wrote on Twitter. "Aldo keeps the belt."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Both are extremely tough for Frankie, I just can't see him gaining either guys respect.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:32 pm

If you don't think Frankie has what it takes to beat Bendo, you are kidding yourself. I'm with the majority here thinking Bendo rightfully won. But that was a close fight, I saw nothing that would suggest a rematch would be any different.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:37 pm

OU wrote:
If you don't think Frankie has what it takes to beat Bendo, you are kidding yourself. I'm with the majority here thinking Bendo rightfully won. But that was a close fight, I saw nothing that would suggest a rematch would be any different.

Wasn't close to me, at my most generous I gave him two rounds.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:42 pm

Ali wrote:
OU wrote:

Wasn't close to me, at my most generous I gave him two rounds.
Wasn't close? If you can't even acknowledge that most rounds and the entire fight was extremely competitive, I don't know what to tell you. The fight was close enough that a rematch is a legit question. You lose any respectability by refusing to acknowledge this was a close fight.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:53 pm

I'm not saying the fight wasn't competitive, but it was pretty clear who was winning the rounds. This is nowhere near controversial. I do think Frankie could be competitive with Aldo, his takedowns are great and he may have what it takes to hold Aldo down long enough to do some damage from the top. Purely standing he probably gets his face busted some more, though.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:58 pm

Ludo wrote:
I'm not saying the fight wasn't competitive, but it was pretty clear who was winning the rounds. This is nowhere near controversial. I do think Frankie could be competitive with Aldo, his takedowns are great and he may have what it takes to hold Aldo down long enough to do some damage from the top. Purely standing he probably gets his face busted some more, though.
I disagree. I wouldn't call it "controversial" but I would call it subjective. I think it's unfair to brush aside any scores for Frankie as crazy talk. With how Frankie and guys like Cruz have won rounds in the past, I can see how/why some people could score this fight differently. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the dec and I'm not a fan of how the "movement fighting" is scored sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 5:10 pm

Every single media outlet scored it for Frankie....Sherdog, Bloody elbow, MMAjunkie, mmamania....Jordan Breen, Josh Gross, Jeff Sherwood, Greg Savage all for Frankie. I am in 100% agreement with OU. It's okay if you scored it for Bendo, but to say it was clear and cut...well maybe you should rethink how you judge fights.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 5:19 pm

OU wrote:
Ludo wrote:
I disagree. I wouldn't call it "controversial" but I would call it subjective. I think it's unfair to brush aside any scores for Frankie as crazy talk. With how Frankie and guys like Cruz have won rounds in the past, I can see how/why some people could score this fight differently. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the dec and I'm not a fan of how the "movement fighting" is scored sometimes.

I never said it was crazy talk. But people acting like Frankie got robbed is a little much. On the flip side the people who scored it for Edgar are acting like there's no way anyone could have possibly scored it for Henderson and that is kind of where alot of the animosity is coming from I think. Even if we go by Compustrikes numbers of 114 strikes for Bendo to 124 for Frankie we're talking about 23 strikes per round to 25 strikes per round. With numbers like that we have to start looking at who's strikes "did" more.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 5:20 pm

Ninja wrote:
Every single media outlet scored it for Frankie....Sherdog, Bloody elbow, MMAjunkie, mmamania....Jordan Breen, Josh Gross, Jeff Sherwood, Greg Savage all for Frankie. I am in 100% agreement with OU. It's okay if you scored it for Bendo, but to say it was clear and cut...well maybe you should rethink how you judge fights.

http://mmadecisions.com/decision.jsp?id=3313

MEDIA SCORES
Mike Chiappetta (MMAFighting.com) 47-48 Edgar
Chris Nelson (Sherdog.com) 47-48 Edgar
Jordan Breen (Sherdog.com) 47-48 Edgar
Freddie DeFreitas (Sherdog.com) 48-47 Henderson
FightMetric.com 49-46 Henderson
MMAJunkie.com 49-47 Henderson
MMAWeekly.com 48-47 Henderson
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 5:28 pm

If you forget about what any fans or posters have said about the fight and just look at the fight itself, you are crazy if you say it wasn't a close fight. The scores you posted just further prove my point that this is at the very least subjective. It's not like it's just noobs and Frankie fans out there that are scoring the fight in his favor. The are knowledgeable fans and members of the media the objectively watched the fight and scored it that way. Despite whatever arguments/debates/comments that happened here or anywhere, if you brush it all aside and are brutally honest. You can't deny it was a close fight. When it was over I was saying "I hope they scored it for Bendo". Just because I personally feel Bendo won and I think his performance should be awarded the win over Frankie's. But it was close enough that I was unsure how the judges would call it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More winable fight for Frankie Edgar?   More winable fight for Frankie Edgar? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next