Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Planet Discovery

Go down 
+4
franklinfan2
acccardinal12
OU
GDPofDRC
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

New Planet Discovery Empty
PostSubject: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 1:35 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45554617/ns/technology_and_science-space/

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/planet-found-600-light-years-nasa-kepler-telescope/story?id=15094976

NASA's Kepler space telescope has found a new planet -- the most Earth-like yet -- circling a yellow star similar to Earth's sun and 600 light-years away, according to the space agency.

The most promising thing about this world, called Kepler-22b for now, is that it's in the so-called Goldilocks zone around its host star. Its surface temperature is estimated at an average of 72 degrees, which means liquid water -- considered essential for life as we know it -- would be possible there.

"We are certain that it is in the habitable zone and if it has a surface, it ought to have a nice temperature," said Bill Borucki, the Kepler principal investigator at NASA's Ames Research Center.

But just how realistic are the prospects for life on that distant world? Even in their excitement, the researchers caution that they have found no proof that we are not alone.

The Kepler team has done a prodigious job of detection and mathematical calculation, but Kepler has not actually seen the planet or taken any chemical measurements. They know its host star is slightly smaller and cooler than the sun, and they found that its light dims ever so slightly once every 290 Earth days. That means the dot of the planet is passing in front of it. It's a little closer to its sun than we are to our sun.

From there, they can extrapolate. For the planet to be in a nice, nearly circular orbit, not too hot and not too cold, they figured out that it's probably 2.4 times the diameter of Earth.

That makes it among the smallest planets yet found orbiting other stars, but it's a smidgen larger than an ideal candidate for extraterrestrial life would be.

"That smidgen makes all the difference," said Geoff Marcy of the University of California, Berkeley, who is one of the pioneers of planet-hunting outside Earth's solar system, and a member of the Kepler team.

Scientists know, from looking at Earth's solar system, that rocky worlds like the Earth's are a precious commodity. If a world is too small (think of Mercury or Earth's moon), any atmosphere will escape into space before life could possibly form. If a world is too large (think of Jupiter or Neptune) it's likely to be all atmosphere, a giant ball of gas or slush that thickens quickly as you plunge beneath its cloud tops, but probably has no solid surface where living things could thrive.

Kepler-22b might be the right temperature, but it is probably closer in mass to icy Neptune than to Earth. "I would bet my telescope that there is no hard, rocky surface to walk on," Marcy told the Associated Press.

Still, the discovery sets scientists' minds racing. "This discovery shows that we Homo sapiens are straining our reach into the universe to find planets that remind us of home," Marcy said. "We are almost there."
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 1:35 pm

Fingers crossed for blue monkeys
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 1:36 pm

Saw this on yahoo today. I'm going to be a Sooner in that Land Run.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 1:38 pm

Never mind searching for planets that are light years away, I want to see mankind reach Mars during my lifetime.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 3:44 pm

Question....How in the heck do they know this shit when they have never been there and they don't have any pictures, or data on the planet? I call bullshit on all of these guys claiming this shit.
Back to top Go down
franklinfan2
Green Belt
Green Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rich Franklin duh!

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 3:55 pm

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
Question....How in the heck do they know this shit when they have never been there and they don't have any pictures, or data on the planet? I call bullshit on all of these guys claiming this shit.

BBC,
I'm taking astronomy class. There is a formula called spectral shift where you can calculate the distance of any star as long as you can see it with a telescope. Once you figure out the distance of the star and the orbital period of the planet, you can use other formulas to figure out the temperature of the star and the distance the planet is from the star.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 5:13 pm

franklinfan2 wrote:

BBC,
I'm taking astronomy class. There is a formula called spectral shift where you can calculate the distance of any star as long as you can see it with a telescope. Once you figure out the distance of the star and the orbital period of the planet, you can use other formulas to figure out the temperature of the star and the distance the planet is from the star.

That just sounds like a fancy way to make stuff up. You ain't foolin me NASA! lol
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 6:43 pm

This is amazing, finally a planet for us mexicans!
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 6:57 pm

What makes you think there's a whole planet for ya'll? Most of your people live in a third world country for a reason, Killer.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 7:22 pm

Ludo wrote:
What makes you think there's a whole planet for ya'll? Most of your people live in a third world country for a reason, Killer.

Like that has stopped them from leaving before. I bet that 700 light year trip could be walked in a decade by a group of Mex-I-cans. I still don't know how we took Texas from them?
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 8:26 pm

there are millions of earth-like planets that could support life out there so this isn't big news to me.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 8:29 pm

although i dont blame people for wanting to leave this planet... its controlled by psychopaths.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 8:36 pm

oggy420 wrote:
there are millions of earth-like planets that could support life out there so this isn't big news to me.

I beleive that honestly. I just have a problem with scientists that make up a load of crap and think I am gonna beleive it. No disrespect to Noelvacine, but formula's can just be a hypothesis when it comes to a planet that is 700 light years away. Give me a formua to win the lottery if that's the case. Think about it....700 fucking lightyears away. I don't buy anything other than what scientists say about the moon. If you think we aren't wrong about some things we think we are right about when it comes to Mars then give me your bank info and I will put 100 bucks in it.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 8:39 pm

oggy420 wrote:
although i dont blame people for wanting to leave this planet... its controlled by psychopaths.

Nah it's controlled by idiots who vote for the norm or what TV sells us. I am guilty of doing it myself. I am down with Ron Paul and Dennis Kusinich now because they are real. I'm pretty sure either guy is the change we want.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 8:51 pm

oggy420 wrote:

Nah it's controlled by idiots who vote for the norm or what TV sells us. I am guilty of doing it myself. I am down with Ron Paul and Dennis Kusinich now because they are real. I'm pretty sure either guy is the change we want.

good to hear bbc. Ron Paul is the man!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 10:37 pm

oggy420 wrote:
although i dont blame people for wanting to leave this planet... its inhabited by psychopaths.

Fixed
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 10:56 pm

Ali wrote:
oggy420 wrote:
The schtick is getting old but I'm going to keep doing it until something else catches my attention

Fixed

Fixed again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 11:15 pm

Ludo wrote:
Ali wrote:
oggy420 wrote:
Ludo has a nipple fetish, he gets strippers to put clamps on them.

Fixed

Fixed again.

Fixed again.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 11:22 pm

I told you that in confidence you fucking judas!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 11:26 pm

Ludo wrote:
I told you that in confidence you fucking judas!

And it was still freaky then, you should be ashamed of yourself young man, those sort of antics conjure up the devil !
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 11:38 pm

Better the devil you know, then.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 1:11 am

Ludo i have to ask.... is ignorance really bliss?
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 1:50 am

oggy420 wrote:
Ludo i have to ask.... is ignorance really bliss?

No worse than being all about trying to shove anti-establishment down our throats for the last year or so. We get it, you don't like the government, you believe 9/11 was an inside job, Obama is a liar, and Ron Paul is the next coming of jesus for this country. But seriously, when the same shit bleeds into any and every thread you post in that isn't about Nick Diaz it gets old. I wish I were as ignorant to your proposed left wing rhetoric as you would like to think I am about anything else.
Back to top Go down
franklinfan2
Green Belt
Green Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rich Franklin duh!

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 9:22 am

Bitches, get your own thread. This one is about a planet discovery.

Hey BBC,
I just found out my final grade in astronomy is an A, so that proves that I'm right and you're wrong. geek
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 9:34 am

franklinfan2 wrote:
Bitches, get your own thread. This one is about a planet discovery.

Hey BBC,
I just found out my final grade in astronomy is an A, so that proves that I'm right and you're wrong. geek

Well we're talking about planet discovery. It just so happens oggy lives in his own little world.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Planet Discovery   New Planet Discovery Empty

Back to top Go down

New Planet Discovery
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next