Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How should fights be scored?

Go down 
+5
GolbeZ
chorky777
Farmer1906
Bigs03
Wolfgangsta
9 posters
AuthorMessage

How should fights be scored? Empty
PostSubject: How should fights be scored?   How should fights be scored? EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 10:03 pm

Do you agree with the current 10-9 rounds or would you like at the end of each fight the 3 judges say who they thought won the fight and the majority wins?

I myself prefer they say who they thought won the fight at the end of the fight.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: How should fights be scored?   How should fights be scored? EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 10:12 pm

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
Do you agree with the current 10-9 rounds or would you like at the end of each fight the 3 judges say who they thought won the fight and the majority wins?

I myself prefer they say who they thought won the fight at the end of the fight.

Ya, watch Dream 12 that aired immediately after the fiasco at 104 and then say that. Three five minute rounds with no ten point must. Very frustrating with some of those decisions. If you remove specific round by round criteria for judging then it becomes even more confusing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: How should fights be scored?   How should fights be scored? EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 10:46 pm

I think the ten point must system is fine if people were trained on how to score a fight. Also, there needs to be some kind of review board to keep the judging in check.

Same thing need to be done for the referees...Mazzagati needs his hand slapped for stopping the Cain v Rothwell fight so early. Yeah, Rothwell was just gonna get his ass handed to him more but you can't stop fights when someone is fully concious and standing back up to his feet.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: How should fights be scored?   How should fights be scored? EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 10:48 pm

I can't have a problem with the Rothwell fight for that after the three or so non stoppages before that.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: How should fights be scored?   How should fights be scored? EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 10:52 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
I can't have a problem with the Rothwell fight for that after the three or so non stoppages before that.

Yeah I agree, however, if he's not going to stop the fight in those instances in the first round how can he justify stopping it when he did in the 2nd? No consistency, I can't support it.

In that particular fight it wouldn't have made a difference, though, so no one is up in arms about it.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: How should fights be scored?   How should fights be scored? EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 11:41 pm

I don't see it as inconsistancy as much as putting a healthy limit on the level undefended strikes. Enough is enough.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: How should fights be scored?   How should fights be scored? EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 12:19 am

Keep the 10-9 point system just don't make it a 10-9 must. I want the judges to be able to score a 10-10 if a round is even. I think there should be more draws actually.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: How should fights be scored?   How should fights be scored? EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 1:37 am

Bigs03 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

Yeah I agree, however, if he's not going to stop the fight in those instances in the first round how can he justify stopping it when he did in the 2nd? No consistency, I can't support it.

In that particular fight it wouldn't have made a difference, though, so no one is up in arms about it.

I'm actually gonna defend Mazagatti on this one, because he did tell Rothwell between rounds that if he's taking shots and not defending anymore he's gonna have to stop the fight. Standing up is not what I'd call defending punches. The referee made a very clear command and Rothwell didn't follow his command.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: How should fights be scored?   How should fights be scored? EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 1:43 am

Bigs03 wrote:
I think the ten point must system is fine if people were trained on how to score a fight. Also, there needs to be some kind of review board to keep the judging in check.

Same thing need to be done for the referees...Mazzagati needs his hand slapped for stopping the Cain v Rothwell fight so early. Yeah, Rothwell was just gonna get his ass handed to him more but you can't stop fights when someone is fully concious and standing back up to his feet.

I do agree that the 10 pt. must system is the way to go, but people just have to be trained and reviewed better. There's no excuse for boxing judges to be scoring mma bouts repeatedly wrong, and not be told why they're wrong. MMA judging has gotten so bad, and all that's needed is a younger group of people to do it. People who have been watching and/or doing MMA for a long time now instead of boxing/kick boxing converts.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: How should fights be scored?   How should fights be scored? EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 2:38 am

Here is an idea. Have BJJ guys score it!!
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: How should fights be scored?   How should fights be scored? EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 2:47 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Here is an idea. Have BJJ guys score it!!

no bjj is dead remember?
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: How should fights be scored?   How should fights be scored? EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 7:55 am

I think that fights should be judged as follows... The winner of the fight should win.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: How should fights be scored?   How should fights be scored? EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 10:09 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:

it was poor timing, but still the right decision.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: How should fights be scored?   How should fights be scored? EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 4:32 pm

The scoring system isn't nearly as big a problem as the incompetent judging and reffing. The problem is the athletic commissions not giving a shit about the integrity of the sport and not getting truly qualified people in the cage and in the judging chairs...
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: How should fights be scored?   How should fights be scored? EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 1:10 am

Farmer1906 wrote:
Keep the 10-9 point system just don't make it a 10-9 must. I want the judges to be able to score a 10-10 if a round is even. I think there should be more draws actually.

I want to see 10-5 rounds or 10-7 rounds, or whatever is appropriate, why have a 10 point system when everything is 10-9?
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: How should fights be scored?   How should fights be scored? EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 2:54 am

I think fights should be scored the same. What I would like to see is a change in the judges. There should be a cap of fights that can be judged.

They have had the same dudes I've seen judge these fights(Peoples, Hamilton, and Roseales anyways) since po dunk shows in Colusa and Porterville in 2001. They have grown biased I think over time. They don't approach every fight impartially, especially the big ones. This wouldn't be the first time people have wondered what Rosales was thinking (he socred a win for Lidell over Jardine in that SD) and people have been bitching that Mr. Karate Hall of Fame Cecil Peoples is just out of touch with MMA judging for a long time.

Get new blood in there like people with a history in currnet mma like fighters or trainers. The modern history of the sport is about deep enough now that they could find some people. Getting around confilcts of interest might be tough though. But a cap would be good would be a good start to progress.

It shouldn't be like baseball where pitchers know that different umpires have different strikezones and they have to adjust to the ump.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How should fights be scored?   How should fights be scored? Empty

Back to top Go down

How should fights be scored?
Page 1 of 1