Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Marcos Maidana vs. Devon Alexander likely for Feb

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Marcos Maidana vs. Devon Alexander likely for Feb Empty
PostSubject: Marcos Maidana vs. Devon Alexander likely for Feb   Marcos Maidana vs. Devon Alexander likely for Feb EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 4:39 pm

Quote :
Marcos Maidana and Devon Alexander, stalwarts of the loaded junior welterweight division, both plan to move up to welterweight and intend to begin their campaigns at 147 pounds against each other, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com Monday.

Schaefer said the fighters and their managers have agreed to the match. He has not presented either side with a formal offer, however, because he is soliciting offers from HBO and Showtime, both of which were interested in buying the fight, he said.

Schaefer said he would like to put the match on by the end of February.

"Both guys want the fight," Schaefer said. "It's a good style matchup because you have Maidana, who comes forward and throws a lot of punches and has great power, and you have Devon, who is a very skilled boxer. Their styles mesh very well. They've both been champions and they know it's a tough fight, but that is what they want.

"I'm in the business of making fights and this is a good one."

Argentina's Maidana (31-2, 28 KOs), one of boxing's most feared punchers, holds a junior welterweight belt, but wants to move up in weight.

"They offered us that fight and we liked the idea," Sebastian Contursi, Maidana's adviser, said. "Alexander is one of the best out there. So is Marcos. Marcos knows Alexander, as he closely watched him against (fellow big puncher from Argentina Lucas) Matthysse. We are at the early stages of the negotiations but confident that we will reach an agreement."

Said Maidana: "He's a slick, talented fighter, so you have to put as much pressure as you can against him. I like the challenge. Hopefully it will be done.

"I'm excited to have the chance to campaign in a new division where huge names like Floyd Mayweather, (Manny) Pacquiao and (Juan Manuel) Marquez are. They are the best of the best. When I think of them, I feel like I still have to prove myself in order to have a crack at them, and the only way to get it is by knocking out everyone else."

St. Louis' Alexander (22-1, 13 KOs) lost his title to Timothy Bradley Jr. via 10th-round technical decision in a January unification bout, but rebounded to claim a split decision against Matthysse in June, after which Alexander's promotional agreement with Don King expired and he signed with Golden Boy.

"We agreed to fight Maidana," Kevin Cunningham, Alexander's manager and trainer, told ESPN.com Monday. "I'm waiting on Richard to get back to me (with particulars)."

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7294245/marcos-maidana-devon-alexander-plan-go-welterweight-fight-other
Back to top Go down

Marcos Maidana vs. Devon Alexander likely for Feb
Page 1 of 1