Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money'

Go down 
+3
cascade_run
Andrew the Raider King
josh200612
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money' Empty
PostSubject: Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money'   Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money' EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 10:33 am

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/8/19/2372747/lyoto-machida-is-not-apologetic-for-asking-for-anderson-silva-money

For almost 24 hours, it looked like Lyoto Machida would step in for Phil Davis to fight Rashad Evans a second time at UFC 133.

Tito Ortiz ended up taking the fight instead. After announcing the news, UFC President Dana White painted a picture of Machida accepting the fight in principle before turning around and asking for "Anderson Silva money," sparking a fun meme for everyone to have a fun with on Twitter. White told him "thanks, but no thanks" and calmly hung up the phone.

Machida spoke to Terra Esportes about the episode, sounding like a man without regret (translation by Tom Mendes):

"I ask forgiveness for the misunderstanding, but not for what I've done, because I was not wrong. I never accepted the fight. I was coming back from injury and I had only been training for two weeks. In fact this training routine was only to keep in shape, and not for fighting.

"To patch a pothole, the price is different. It's my career on the line. As I've said, I was coming back from injury and was only training for a small amount of time. I only asked for the type of money that would guarantee me tranquility for a certain time, because if I were to lose it would put me on the back of the line of candidates for the title. Aside from also being potentially injured, Rashad is not just ‘any' type of fighter."

I've always thought both sides share some blame here. If White's version of the events are true, demanding more money after verbally agreeing to the fight is in poor form. Any compensation requests should have been hashed out when the UFC first approached Machida's camp.

At the same time, White's refusal to negotiate comes off as an odd move. Lyoto Machida probably doesn't deserve "Anderson Silva money," even in a one-time deal, but asking for more than you deserve is a common negotiating tactic. (Conversely, I'm sure Zuffa has low-balled plenty of fighters.) White telling Machida's camp to achieve what Anderson has achieved and hanging up comes off as petulant.

It's probably best that things worked out as they did. Ortiz was a much better fight for a returning Evans, who is now back in line for his grudge match with current light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. And Machida is now the most obvious candidate to help headline the UFC's debut on Fox in November.
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money'   Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money' EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 10:57 am

Look at this fucking panhandler!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money'   Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money' EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 11:42 am

If I was a fighter I'd be in shape all year round like Hopkins.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money'   Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money' EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 2:38 pm

I never low-balled anyone! I mean, I am sure DW never lowballed anyone..;P
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money'   Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money' EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 2:44 pm

Andrew the Raider King wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
cascade_run
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
cascade_run

PostSubject: Re: Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money'   Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money' EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 3:20 pm

Andrew the Raider King wrote:

Nice
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money'   Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money' EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 5:21 pm

He doesnt owe any1 an apology because Dana should pay him. Every UFC fan out there would have rather seen Machida vs Rashad more than Tito vs Rashad.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money'   Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money' EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 5:28 pm

He shouldn't have even entertained the thought of it if he was going to ask for more money after that but before the fight. Either help them out of a tight spot(fighters who do this are always rewarded well for this. Notice Tito isn't cut after the way he lost) or say you can't because you just got back to training and can't get into shape in time. Don't say "ok I think I can make that work, by the way I want more money and a new contract".
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money'   Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money' EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Ludo wrote:
He shouldn't have even entertained the thought of it if he was going to ask for more money after that but before the fight. Either help them out of a tight spot(fighters who do this are always rewarded well for this. Notice Tito isn't cut after the way he lost) or say you can't because you just got back to training and can't get into shape in time. Don't say "ok I think I can make that work, by the way I want more money and a new contract".

1st off, love the avatar. You are right, plus, everybody who isn't waiting for the Pride people to show up and start their business practices again, knows that the UFC always steps-up. If you don't believe me, just remember that DW wrote Shogun a $200K check after the piss=poor judging on the Rua-Machida fight. In fact they have written a lot non-contractually obligated checks, because people have put on good fights...
Back to top Go down
thessy11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money'   Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money' EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 10:59 pm

I'm curious what "Anderson Silva Money" amounts to. Machida made $200k for the last fight that had his purse listed for and that was from 2009. Silva made 200k for the Vitor fight in February of this year. Tito's listed at $450k/fight and it sounds like Machida would have been a good bit more expensive than that so Silva must get a nice PPV cut.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money'   Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money' EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 11:03 pm

Pretty much what i said. He has no reason to be sorry. He was definitely due for a significant raise if he gave them a huge LHW fight with no training camp.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money'   Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money' Empty

Back to top Go down

Lyoto Machida Is Not Apologetic for Asking for 'Anderson Silva Money'
Page 1 of 1