Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots

Go down 
+2
timthebim
cascade_run
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots Empty
PostSubject: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 3:06 pm

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24724/ufc-boss-jim-miller-chael-sonnen-brian-stann-all-likely-on-verge-of-title-shots.mma

UFC president Dana White readily admits it's difficult to predict the direction of his promotion's entire roster mere moments after an event concludes.

Who gets cut, who stays, who moves up the ladder – White said he prefers to reflect for a day or two, then convene with UFC officials Lorenzo Fertitta and Joe Silva to make group decisions.

However, White did say a trio of fighters – namely Jim Miller (20-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC), Chael Sonnen (25-11-1 MMA, 3-4 UFC) and Brian Stann (11-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC) – are all within striking distance of a shot at a UFC title and will soon find themselves in potential No. 1 contender fights.

First up, lightweight Miller, who faces former WEC champ Ben Henderson in the co-main event of next weekend's UFC on Versus 5 event.

"Jim Miller is right there," White said. "He probably will (earn a title shot with a win). Again, for me to say who's going to get it, who's not going to get it or whatever – but yeah, it makes sense."

It certainly does. After all, Miller currently carries a seven-fight octagon win streak, and his career mark matches up favorably to those of UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar and top contender Gray Maynard – combined.

Perhaps holding Miller back are his two careers losses, one of which came to Edgar in the pair's pre-UFC days and one to Maynard inside the octagon. But a win over Henderson would mark eight-consecutive wins against stiff competition and give Miller a seemingly inarguable case for a shot at the title.

Meanwhile, Sonnen and Stann are set to meet in October, and while White refused to guarantee the winner a shot at the middleweight title, he admitted the contest seemed worthy of No. 1 contender status.

"I think it should be," White said. "We'll see."

Meanwhile, Sonnen's career mark in the octagon doesn't scream "title contender." But at UFC 117, Sonnen gave current champ Anderson Silva his toughest UFC fight to date. Should Silva beat Yushin Okami at UFC 134 and Sonnen prove victorious over Stann at UFC 136, the potential for a big-money rematch would likely prove too tempting for White not to book.

White laid out the scenario while also explaining why UFC 133 winner Vitor Belfort will likely need a few more wins before he gets a chance to avenge his UFC 126 loss to "The Spider."

"If they went out and had this war back and forth, if it was like the Chael Sonnen-Anderson Silva fight, that would be one thing," White said. "But it lasted 35 seconds. … It would be hard to make a rematch that quick after what happened."

Meanwhile, Stann may be the biggest stretch for now and is perhaps why White was hesitant to guarantee a title shot hangs in the balance. However, Stann's military background, his ability to mesmerize audiences with well-spoken speeches and his constantly improving game since re-inventing himself at 185 pounds have all left the "All-American" on the verge of superstardom.

In short, the UFC boss generally likes to play his cards close to the chest for as long as possible while arranging upcoming matchups. But for Miller, Sonnen and Stann, their futures apparently lie in their own hands.
Back to top Go down
cascade_run
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
cascade_run

UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 7:22 pm

I think most people would love to see the Anderson V Sonnen rematch, sucks that Stann has to get in the way of the that, but Chael hasn't foguht for quite some time and Stann has just been mowing people down his last few fights, would love to see Belfort get another shot, especially after seeing how pissed he was and what he did to Akiyama after he threw that front kick.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 10:22 pm

I love Miller cant wait till he is champ.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 11:56 pm

I like Miller as well, probably rolling with Bendo this weekend though. Not really feeling this matchup for Jim, but its obviously razor close
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 12:52 pm

Stann isn't ready for a title shot yet, he needs a couple more fights even IF he beats Sonnen.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 12:55 pm

Ali wrote:
Stann isn't ready for a title shot yet, he needs a couple more fights even IF he beats Sonnen.
thats silly talk, if he was to beat Sonnen i wouldn't wait another minute to give him a shot
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 12:55 pm

Who gets the shot then if Stann beats Sonnen? Whoever wins that fight should get the next shot.

Answer can't be GSP tongue
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 12:58 pm

I'd just like to see Stann get some more variety under his belt before he's thrown in with God.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 12:59 pm

Then who gets the next shot?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 1:03 pm

freakzilla wrote:
Depends on who wins and how.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 1:04 pm

freakzilla wrote:

George St........ Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing Silva take another trip to 205lb.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 1:07 pm

Ali wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

George St........ Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing Silva take another trip to 205lb.

A permanent 1. I'd love to see Anderson Silva vs Mauricio Rua.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 1:10 pm

freakzilla wrote:
Ali wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

A permanent 1. I'd love to see Anderson Silva vs Mauricio Rua.

I'd love to see that happen, but Silva seems to chummy with Shogun.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 5:50 pm

Shogun has said the only two people he wouldn't fight are Wand and his brother and specifically said he would fight Anderson

Silva isn't going anywhere so it doesn't matter
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 8:29 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Shogun has said the only two people he wouldn't fight are Wand and his brother and specifically said he would fight Anderson

Silva isn't going anywhere so it doesn't matter
seriously, Shogun can't wait to get his paws on the spider... shit would go down son!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 12:31 am

I think Shogun beats Anderson. Agree or disagree?
Back to top Go down
throwdownfight1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Matt Hughes,Tito Ortiz,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 8:21 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

disagree. although shogun has the power to ko anyone in the division i just dont see it. u just dont see andersons punches coming. forrest,franklin,hendo and others have claimed his punches really dont hurt when they land however all they felt was for one reason or other the lights go out for a bit and their legs wobble.

the only way i see shogun beating anderson is if he comes in with the same gameplan and mentallity he went into the first machida fight with. if he takes his time,plays it smart, avoids the exchanges and doesnt get agressive, then yes, i could see shogun gettin the dec. heck i would pick that shogun against anyone in the division not named jones
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 10:13 am

freakzilla wrote:
agree
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 10:16 am

I think Shogun would beat:
Anderson
Reem
Rampage

but he would lose to:
Hendo
Fedor
Rashad
Back to top Go down
throwdownfight1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Matt Hughes,Tito Ortiz,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 10:40 am

^^^^^^^^^

interesting thoughts. got me thinking. good picks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 11:13 am

freakzilla wrote:

Disagree, you're only saying that because you jizz all over GSP's bald head.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 12:24 pm

Ali wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

Disagree, you're only saying that because you jizz all over GSP's bald head.

No because a 100% fit Rua would do to Anderson what he did to Machida.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 12:25 pm

OU wrote:
I think Shogun would beat:
Anderson
Reem
Rampage

but he would lose to:
Hendo
Fedor
Rashad

Shogun would beat Hendo but lose to Overeem.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 12:34 pm

i think the reem is WAAAY too big for Shogun
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 12:36 pm

Shogun beat his ass pretty good back in the day. I know it's not the same Reem but I think Shogun beats him again today.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots   UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC boss: Jim Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann all likely on verge of title shots
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next