Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LaDainian Tomlinson

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

LaDainian Tomlinson Empty
PostSubject: LaDainian Tomlinson   LaDainian Tomlinson EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 2:43 pm

I was the only person that gave Tomlinson the nod over Peterson in the poll on this page. And I gave my reasoning as him being a better pass catcher, equal blocker and unsure of the running due to Tomlinson's recent injuries (But when healthy just as dangerous a runner). Now after last night, I'm convinced that Tomlinson is done as an elite back.

So I pose a question... Where does he fall in the order of things? Do we place him in that truly elite status all-time? Is he in that group with Payton, Sanders, Brown and Emmitt Smith? Do we place him in the next tier below that, but still a HOF back? Or does his injuries, recent ineffectiveness and fairly rapid decline leave him a bordeline HOF candidate with the likes of Jerome Bettis and Curtis Martin? Before you answer, remember that such dominant backs as Terrell Davis and Bo Jackson aren't in the Hall... But Gale Sayers is. He's currently 14th on the rushing yards list with such borderliners as Bettis, Martin and Edgerrin ahead of him (Faulk too, but he's not a borderliner). Five probowls and 3 all-pro selections are fairly impressive and he went through a stretch over a 3-4 year period where he was pretty universally considered the best in the game.

Personally, I see him much the same as Marshall Faulk. A solid HOF candidate, but not in that top-5 all time elite class. But in no way is he a borderliner that shold struggle to get in. Thurman Thomas got in second try so it would surprise me if it takes Tomlinson more than that and he "should" be a first ballot.
Back to top Go down
discovery99
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
discovery99

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ Penn

PostSubject: Re: LaDainian Tomlinson   LaDainian Tomlinson EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 3:11 pm

It's crazy that he's fallen so far so quickly. If you compare the numbers, his first seven seasons were better than anyone's BEST seven seasons.

Clearly first ballot HOF, but not top 5 all time.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: LaDainian Tomlinson   LaDainian Tomlinson EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 8:53 pm

These numbers in this era? Ya best of all time. Top five for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: LaDainian Tomlinson   LaDainian Tomlinson EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 8:22 pm

HOF, don't know about top 5, but up there.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: LaDainian Tomlinson   LaDainian Tomlinson EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 9:01 pm

I'd have him 5th all-time. I'd take Brown, Payton, Campbell and Sanders in front of him. I'd take LT before Emmitt personally
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LaDainian Tomlinson   LaDainian Tomlinson Empty

Back to top Go down

LaDainian Tomlinson
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ninja's Place :: Sports Discussion :: US Sports-
Jump to: