Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own

Go down 
+6
Wolfgangsta
boomer sooner
bobbitt15
KingsOwn19
killerofchicken
Farmer1906
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own Empty
PostSubject: WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own   WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own EmptySun May 01, 2011 10:57 pm

Bendo is 1-0 (Mark Bocek)
Cowboy is 1-0 (Paul Kelly)
Roller is 1-0 (Thiago Tavares)
Castillo is 1-0 (Joe Stevenson)

Any others I'm missing?
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own   WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own EmptySun May 01, 2011 10:58 pm

i believe i called this... cant wait to see Roller again though, loved his style and movements
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own   WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own EmptySun May 01, 2011 11:00 pm

Kamal is 0-1

but they are holding their own in the middle of the pack...still don't think any of them will ever be contenders with the possible exception of Pettis.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own   WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own EmptySun May 01, 2011 11:01 pm

killerofchicken wrote:
i believe i called this... cant wait to see Roller again though, loved his style and movements

The next time you see Roller, he'll be face down ass up
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, since way back

PostSubject: Re: WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own   WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own EmptyMon May 02, 2011 10:15 am

yeah, Roller is being put through a buzzsaw. Would still like to see Melvin pushed to the third round. Could see the fight goinganother way then.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own   WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own EmptyMon May 02, 2011 3:04 pm

Roller is just the type of fighter to end up holding Melvins ass down and making him say uncle though. Bendo could be a title contender in the UFC also. Athleticism - check. Work ethic - check. Natural talent - check. The way he rolled over Bocek should settle any doubt about his legitimacy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own   WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own EmptyMon May 02, 2011 3:08 pm

If Roller comes out with that same striking defense he had against Tavares, I think we're in for a short fight. That was awful. He does have the grappling chops, but as you know I'm buying Melvin from this point forward. This change in camp has been massive for him

Bendo put on the most overlooked impressive performance of the night Saturday. I can't wait to see who he's matched up with next. No real areas of weakness. Great sub defense, solid wrestling, pretty clean striking, and filthy cardio.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own   WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own EmptyMon May 02, 2011 3:10 pm

id be ok with Bendo vs Aussie George, what say ye?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own   WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own EmptyMon May 02, 2011 3:15 pm

killerofchicken wrote:

What about Bendo vs Jim Miller? Bendo is 1 kick in the 5th round away from being in line for a title shot.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own   WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own EmptyMon May 02, 2011 3:43 pm

OU wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:

What about Bendo vs Jim Miller? Bendo is 1 kick in the 5th round away from being in line for a title shot.
yeah im alright with that, as long as he gets someone ranked in the top 10
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own   WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own EmptyMon May 02, 2011 3:46 pm

The myth of "dominance" is just that. Great fighters are just that. They exist anywhere.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own   WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own EmptyMon May 02, 2011 3:54 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
The myth of "dominance" is just that. Great fighters are just that. They exist anywhere.

You mean those letters on the gloves don't tell the whole story?
WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5ICtIykPPzQ7i-2GoBt_bjslW1TMwK-6Eo7p7CIZ0AMdnat-rWA
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own   WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own EmptyMon May 02, 2011 7:11 pm

The WEC LW division was all guys signed by Zuffa and many of them would or could have been funneled to the UFC just as easily. The division on a grass roots level is just flat out that deep. A lot of it I am sure depended on when the fighter was signed, and not some significant hierarchy of talent between the two leagues.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own   WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own EmptyMon May 02, 2011 8:14 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
Kamal is 0-1

but they are holding their own in the middle of the pack...still don't think any of them will ever be contenders with the possible exception of Pettis.

Exactly, we expected most of them to shuffle themselves into the middle of the pack, but I'd give Bendo a chance at getting a Title shot someday, matchups favoring....Pettis and Bendo were the two most thought would do well.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own   WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 11:16 am

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/past-is-the-past-but-pettis-believes-wec-had-worlds-best-lightweights
Quote :
"It surprised me how good the WEC guys did (in the UFC)," Pettis told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) earlier this month. "I mean, we're at the top of the top. Everybody doubted the WEC – our skills weren't good enough. And we proved everybody wrong. Henderson's at the top, I'm right there, me and Cerrone are about to fight for the No. 1 contender. We're all very well-skilled – the WEC had the best 155ers in the world, and now we're fighting to be at the top again."

Quote :
The WEC lightweights had doubters, and lots of them. But they made their presence known in a big hurry, in particular the triumvirate of Henderson, Pettis and Cerrone. Those big three went a combined 8-2 in the UFC in 2011. In 2012, their success continued – going unbeaten at a combined 6-0.
I didn't realize that.

KingsOwn19 wrote:
Kamal is 0-1

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own   WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 11:37 am

I believe it was me killer and wolfie who were high on the WEC boys. I was at least high on Showtime. Don't think I was quite as high on Bendo.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own   WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 11:44 am

Farmer1906 wrote:
I believe it was me killer and wolfie who were high on the WEC boys. I was at least high on Showtime. Don't think I was quite as high on Bendo.
Check out LA's post. He seemed to have it right on with Bendo and Pettis. He was pretty spot on with Bendo.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own   WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 2:49 pm

I was always big on Cerrone and Bendo. Pettis was the one I was always a little skeptical of to be honest. His skillset just seemed incomplete at the time of the merger. We'll be seeing a better version of him though now that he's been working his wrestling a bit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own   WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own Empty

Back to top Go down

WEC Lightweights are more than holding their own
Page 1 of 1