Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Whats Your Opinion on Berto and Ortiz Now?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Whats Your Opinion on Berto and Ortiz Now? Empty
PostSubject: Whats Your Opinion on Berto and Ortiz Now?   Whats Your Opinion on Berto and Ortiz Now? EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 8:34 pm

alot of people bashed Berto on here as a fake, I personally think he answered the questions last night about his heart and desire, you can tell this guy jsut wants it so bad.

Ortiz on the other hand has been viewed as not having heart and as being a quitter when the going get tough. Im still shocked he got up from that knockdown in the 6th.

Both these guys had alot of doubters going into last nights fight. I am a staunch believer in both of these guys now. Would like to see a rematch, wonder if Ortiz wants Maidana rematch
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Whats Your Opinion on Berto and Ortiz Now?   Whats Your Opinion on Berto and Ortiz Now? EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 8:42 pm

Opinion on Berto is the same as its always been. He's an athlete with boxing gloves on and will never be anything more
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Whats Your Opinion on Berto and Ortiz Now?   Whats Your Opinion on Berto and Ortiz Now? EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 8:52 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Opinion on Berto is the same as its always been. He's an athlete with boxing gloves on and will never be anything more

I kinda agree with this that yes he is an athlete but he looked like a fighter last night. He showed alot of heart to get up off the mat multiple times. He wont ever be confused for Floyd Mayweather but he does have OK hand speed and descent power. He needs to get in better shape and use more movement.

Ortiz on the other hand showed me a ton last night. I questioned his heart and will to fight before last night. He showed some balls last night by continueing to fight while he was hurt and weather the storm in the 6th round when Berto was trying to put him away. He showed he really wants to be a fighter and has some skill to do it. He still has away to go because he has no jab, minimal head movement and gets hit with way to many clean shots. I heard last night they said at 1 time he was compared to ODH and he is no where near the skill level of him.

Overall I enjoyed there fight and really would love to see a rematch between 2 guys that are both better than I though(at least in the heart department).
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Whats Your Opinion on Berto and Ortiz Now?   Whats Your Opinion on Berto and Ortiz Now? EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 9:29 pm

ya Victor was compared to De La Hoya because Oscar was the one making all the comparrisons

Against Lamont Peterson Ortiz landed 2 jabs in the entire fight, so your right, dude needs a jab big time, think if he had one.

Berto fought great imo last night considering his legs were nearly killed in the 1st round, I think a year off hurt Berto also. Berto showed alot of improvement from the Collazo fight imo. This time when he was laying on the ropes it was simply because his legs couldnt do anything at the time being.

Now time for the crazy BIRD Story tie-in

I met Ortiz at Frank Erwin Center at the card that had Edwin Valero fight Pitau, and Katsidis vs Jesus Chavez. He was really nice, signed tons of autographs and took tons of pictures, I was next in line and basically let 10 to 20 kids go before me and he noticed that , he gave me a look like hold on and Ill get to you. ten minutes later and he asked if I wanted a picture or anything I just got an autograph told him thanks for taking his time to do this (he actually had a line form and they moved him from the area he initially was signing at. I was embarrassed because I told him he would have a title within a year and he told me I just signed to fight for a title and should have it in a couple months. ( He was referring to the Maidana fight.)

Then another time, I was at a friends getting drunk and my mom calls me, she was at the California airport and was sitting by a boxer and his brother with his brother wife and the boxers girlfriend, they were sitting next to each other waiting for plains. My mom said he was a strong looking guy so my mom asked if he played sports and he said he was a boxer on his way to a fight. My mom said her son was a big boxing fan and would probably now who he was so she called me, she was sitting next to Andre Berto heading to Florida to face Juan Urango. I was like hell ya I know who he is and he talked on the phone to me for a couple of minutes, was a really nice guy and you could tell he appreciates his fans. Thats why I think its ironic that he does not have a strong fan base.

Ive talked about both these stories before on seperate posts but realized the irony of having a chance to talk with both the guys fighting as I watched them saturday night. I have gotten to meet a good amount of fighters in my life (boxing and mma) and both of them were as nice as they come. They also showed they are both entertaining fighters and worthy of fans, hopefully they will both get the fans they deserve.
Back to top Go down
Deezy0814
Green Belt
Green Belt
Deezy0814

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rampage Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Whats Your Opinion on Berto and Ortiz Now?   Whats Your Opinion on Berto and Ortiz Now? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 1:07 pm

timthebim wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

I kinda agree with this that yes he is an athlete but he looked like a fighter last night. He showed alot of heart to get up off the mat multiple times. He wont ever be confused for Floyd Mayweather but he does have OK hand speed and descent power. He needs to get in better shape and use more movement.

this right here sums it up for me i could tell berto is hungry and trying to make a name for himself, but until he learns how to move that head and adds a little more lateral movement to his game he's going to be in trouble. thats just my opinion to be he's to straight up and comes to straight foward to much. As far as ortiz goes im pretty much in agreement with the majority in thinking that he proved his heart and will.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Whats Your Opinion on Berto and Ortiz Now?   Whats Your Opinion on Berto and Ortiz Now? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Ortiz a solid welterweight

Heart still a question when the going gets tough, but he has good speed and packs a punch

A threat to anyone in the division

Berto - still dont think much of him, needs to fight some more 147 lb'ers
Cintron, Bailey, Zaveck, Clottey, anybody

Just put some work in against some top 20 fighterss in his class
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats Your Opinion on Berto and Ortiz Now?   Whats Your Opinion on Berto and Ortiz Now? Empty

Back to top Go down

Whats Your Opinion on Berto and Ortiz Now?
Page 1 of 1