Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Any CIvil War Buffs?

Go down 
+2
josh200612
Birdofthad
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Any CIvil War Buffs? Empty
PostSubject: Any CIvil War Buffs?   Any CIvil War Buffs? EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 3:25 pm

love talking about that damn war could for all day, anyone else.

Ima be really dissapointed in you if Freak and Ali are more interested haha
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Any CIvil War Buffs?   Any CIvil War Buffs? EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 4:12 pm

Biggest Blunders of the Civil War

Gerald B. McClellan - where to start, I figured this guy in itself is a blunder, other than raising the Army of the Potomac and caring for his men this guy was worthless. Had Lee's battleplans showing Lee had split his forces at Antietam. Someone like Stonewall Jackson would have acted instantly. McClellan decided to wait 3 days. Also failed to crush Lee's army when he could have, basically this guy could have ended the Civil War in 1862 but he cut tail and ran with Richmond in plain view. Was your classical pussy, forgive me cautious leader. Always outnumbered the COnfederates 2 or 3 to 1 but always believed the Confederates had double their actual numbers.

Lee's Napoleonic Beliefs - Lee was a believer of the Napoleon strategy of completely destroying and crushing the opposing army. Not the best strategy when your outnumbered 3 to 1. Lee did come close to crushing Union Armies but in the long run, he ended up crushing his own army.

Trimble-Pickett-Pettigrew's Charge - man , you still have to wonder what the hell Lee was thinking. Talk about sending your men to the slaughter. Still the most explosives ever fired on american soil.

Political Generals - early in the war Lincoln granted general titles to some men that were not qualified. THey were political choices and supposed to rally recruits and bring morale support. Franz Sigel is a good example. A german immigrant soldier, extremely popular with German immigrants. Served his purpose in recruiting and morale, but his division was routed by Virginia Military Institute green cadette's. Basically Franz's army was routed by teenagers. Nathaniel Banks is another example.

Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Any CIvil War Buffs?   Any CIvil War Buffs? EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 4:16 pm

Also anyone here familiar with Ebeneezer Creek?
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: Any CIvil War Buffs?   Any CIvil War Buffs? EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 4:35 pm

STFU BIRD! nah just playing. i'll get down with you soon enough cause i'm a huge history buff.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Any CIvil War Buffs?   Any CIvil War Buffs? EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 4:46 pm

thats what i like to hear
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Any CIvil War Buffs?   Any CIvil War Buffs? EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 4:59 pm

Worst Campaign

Between Fredericksburg Campaign (Burnside) or Hoods Atlanta and Tenn. Campaign

thoughts?
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Any CIvil War Buffs?   Any CIvil War Buffs? EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 10:59 pm

Tomorrow when I get home from work I will get in on this also Bird.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Any CIvil War Buffs?   Any CIvil War Buffs? EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 11:30 pm

anyone else think Stonewall Jackson was a bit over rated, ya the Valley campaign was basically flawless, but he was going against Banks. I say this only because he performed so poorly at the Battle of 7 Pines.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: Any CIvil War Buffs?   Any CIvil War Buffs? EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 8:48 pm

yes but more world war I and II
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Any CIvil War Buffs?   Any CIvil War Buffs? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 1:43 am

Civil War is the most interesting to me because of a couple of reasons, 1 was it was really the only war fought with 18th and 19th century tactics with 19th century modern weaponry. Also, for some reason, military genius seemed to be at a peak during that time, the United States was the greatest military in the world and the Civil War literally resulted in the greatest army in the world fighting itself. Seriously, Grant, Sherman, Lee, Jackson, Stuart, Forrest, Sheridain,A.S. Johnston, Longstreet, etc. Its nuts. If we had been unified that would have been the greatest army ever, with McClellan raising the army and Gran, Lee and Sherman leading them, man that would have been crazy.

Honestly ask this question, could america have empirically dominated the world during that time?I think they probably could have. Britian and other European powers stayed out of the war and even annexed Canada because the United States threatened to go to war with any outside parties involved in the war.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Any CIvil War Buffs?   Any CIvil War Buffs? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 2:11 am

for guys that dont know much or havent seen many civil war movies, here are some

Gettysburg - Pickett's Charge, pretty much doesnt get crazier than charging a mile of open ground against a well fortified enemy. Lee's massive blunder. This scene is the "High Water Mark of the Confederacy" when Armisteads brigade charged the wall.

Little Round Top - also from Gettysburg, Chamberlains bayonet charge at the Alabama and Texas Confederates was ballsy as it gets, and it worked. BAYONETS!!!!!!!!!

Glory - cant find any of the movie scenes on youtube, so watch the fucking movie, its epic heres the original trailer. Denzel Washington won an oscar for it.

Fredericksburg (Gods and Generals) - basically think of 7 brigades making 14 charegs like this one that the IRish Brigade made. Cross a bridge and charge 250 yards to a stone wall. The closest Union charges got to the wall was 10 to 20 yards. You see Zooks Brigade charge as well (2nd to charge at Fredericksburg). Great scene.

Chancellorsville - Stonewall Jacksons genius flanking move finally on the big screen.

Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Any CIvil War Buffs?   Any CIvil War Buffs? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 2:38 am

ever seen any of those movies freak?
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Any CIvil War Buffs?   Any CIvil War Buffs? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 4:17 am

A common misconception about the war is that, I'm just bullshitting and haven't thought about the wars since American History, but good shit bro.

I'd say Glory and God and Generals are the best Civil War movies I've seen, but can't think of too many.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Any CIvil War Buffs?   Any CIvil War Buffs? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 9:57 am

this movie had a lot of civil war references as it was set during the war
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Any CIvil War Buffs?   Any CIvil War Buffs? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 1:30 pm

I tihnk the 150th anniversarty has kinda sucked me in

ok not kinda , its totally sucked me in haha
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Any CIvil War Buffs?   Any CIvil War Buffs? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 1:31 pm

if you have 4 hours check out Gettysburg, its the sequel to Gods and Generals
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Any CIvil War Buffs?   Any CIvil War Buffs? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 1:40 pm

150 years ago exactly to the day, P.G.T. Beuregard attacked Fort Sumter
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any CIvil War Buffs?   Any CIvil War Buffs? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any CIvil War Buffs?
Page 1 of 1