Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight

Go down 
+6
LA
Wolfgangsta
Bigs03
acccardinal12
bobbitt15
cascade_run
10 posters
AuthorMessage

Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight Empty
PostSubject: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 7:18 am

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/03/20/nate-marquardt-leaning-towards-move-to-welterweight-division/

And make a run at the title. Even if GSP is still champ. What is happening to Greg Jackson's camp?
Back to top Go down
cascade_run
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
cascade_run

PostSubject: Re: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 2:35 pm

I think Jones has changed a lot of things at that camp, next the 155'ers will be getting into it.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 3:02 pm

I'm sure he thinks GSP will crush Shields and move up
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 3:42 pm

Speaking about the move though, not sure how it would look. Nate said he's practically walking around at what GSP does so he could make the cut. I'd be in favor of it. His status in the MW division has kind of staled out. Would have some new interesting challenges at WW
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 4:55 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Speaking about the move though, not sure how it would look. Nate said he's practically walking around at what GSP does so he could make the cut. I'd be in favor of it. His status in the MW division has kind of staled out. Would have some new interesting challenges at WW

+1 if he can do it with ease and not be "emaNciated" in a 3-5 round fight. I am sure Nate can do it, but I thought he had atleast 20 lbs more than GSP's walk around weight. GSP is about 195lbs before he cuts right? Nate is around 210-215 right? Nate said he was cutting from 210lbs a few years ago on one of the countdown shows featuring him if I am not mistaking? Maybe he has been shedding a few lbs the last 6 months.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 5:00 pm

I guess that would be alright. I'd much rather see someone leave a division because there's no competition left instead of because they can't compete for a title at their current weight class. But whatever, I like Nate and wouldn't mind seeing him compete at 170.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 8:23 pm

Fitch wont be able to do a Fitch to the much bigger Marquardt.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 10:28 pm

Nate's a LHW fighting at MW not a WW...not happening.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

PostSubject: Re: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 10:55 pm

Anderson Silva is a HW fighting at MW.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 10:58 pm

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
Anderson Silva is a HW fighting at MW.

Not quite. He used to be the worlds best WW.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

PostSubject: Re: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 11:01 pm

He walks around at 220-225. Nate walks around at 200. If he says he could easily make WW I'll take his word for it. I agree with Bobbitt though that he thinks GSP will be moving up soon and he sees a chance for himself to be champ.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 1:25 am

I like this move more him, his career had stalled at MW and he was slowing losing "Elite MW" status. If he can comfortably make the cut, I say give it a try. Could give him some new life, the division a new contender and possibly a challege for GSP.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 1:45 am

LA wrote:
I like this move more him, his career had stalled at MW and he was slowing losing "Elite MW" status. If he can comfortably make the cut, I say give it a try. Could give him some new life, the division a new contender and possibly a challege for GSP.

I pretty much agree with all of this.
Back to top Go down
jimbojones1950
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostSubject: Re: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 9:51 am

Marquardt can definitely make 170. He has a very muscular body and muscle is easy to slim down. Its different then somebody with the body type of Jon Jones trying to go down a weight class.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 10:12 am

If he can make the cut then why not
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 4:00 pm

What about Marquart vs Kampmann 2 at WW? Could be a good way to get Nate right there for a WW title shot.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 5:16 pm

I am completely siding with Wolf on this one. I think it will hurt more than help Nate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 3:33 am

Why ?? he's doing fine at Middleweight.

Nate's a huge bulky Middleweight, moving down would be dangerous.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 4:10 am

He's going backwards at MW.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight   Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight Empty

Back to top Go down

Nate Marquardt wants to move down to Welterweight
Page 1 of 1