Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December

Go down 
+2
gomez1012
Wolfgangsta
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December Empty
PostSubject: Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December   Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 7:44 pm

This explains why White and the UFC wasn't as militant about the HWGP.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December   Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 8:03 pm

UFC knew they needed more depth at HW?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December   Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 9:37 pm

The UFC needed more depth at HW, WW, LW, LHW and MW in terms of "names" and Strikeforce has stars and potential stars in all those classes("we need more fighters" - Dana on the buyout). Further, the UFC has long desired all the lineal titles to be returned to the promotion. This achieves that as well. The UFC also wanted to get in bed with a premium cable network. Bingo, now they have a contract with Showtime. The UFC also now can break into women's MMA and cash in on Gina's return.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December   Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 10:09 pm

I thought the same thing, but I don't think they care too much about Gina, Wolf. They could care less about womens MMA right now. I know you heard DW say that. He may let SF do it, but in two years when the curtains close, Bellator will be the organization that promotes the ladies, imo.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December   Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 10:11 pm

I could see Zuffa keeping SF in a few years for a minor league, where newbs fight gatekeepers. If they are smart that is what they would do. That would ensure no more smaller orgs get any bigger.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December   Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 12:52 am

Watch the last two episodes of the Reem. You get a look at Scott behind the scenes, doesn't seem like a guy giving any indication of impending sale. Even in interviews Dana reported this as having just came up. The UFC probably got wind of other potential offers and swooped in. I think the Prix delay deals more with finding a venue for Barnett.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December   Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 8:37 am

I thought everyone knew by now that talks started in Dec? But then again we all got to read about it for a week while Wolf was out of the loop.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December   Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 2:43 pm

I know that OU, I am simply stating this explains Dana's uncharacteristic silence regarding the HWGP when that was announced. Dana knew his company might be the one actually promoting the GP by the second round so why shoot yourself in the foot? I imagine the vitriol would have cranked up two notches minimum if pro-elite was the buyer last week.

BBC - I have also heard Dana say he thinks Gina is talented and would like to promote her. And so far the very first cross promotional business activity involving fighters is Gina Carano promoting a UFC video game. Like I said in other posts in the last few days, the comments Dana also made about not liking women's MMA enough to have it in the UFC and not having enough fighters to seriously promote it only have validity in a universe where all the women's stars are locked up in contracts outside the UFC/Zuffa umbrella. This is no longer the case. Imagine Strikeforce trying to break into the WEC's market with nearly every legitimate smaller fighter under WEC contract. Imagine Bellator trying to seriously promote LHW while all the best guys are in the UFC and Strikeforce. There is a reason why Bellator hasn't done LHWs in three seasons and Strikeforce only had the major weight classes. Consider those suitable analogues to this situation.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December   Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 3:05 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
The UFC needed more depth at HW, WW, LW, LHW and MW in terms of "names" and Strikeforce has stars and potential stars in all those classes("we need more fighters" - Dana on the buyout). Further, the UFC has long desired all the lineal titles to be returned to the promotion. This achieves that as well. The UFC also wanted to get in bed with a premium cable network. Bingo, now they have a contract with Showtime. The UFC also now can break into women's MMA and cash in on Gina's return.

iight

Be interesting to see how they handle Showtime while they merge the two outfits

Ken Herschman/Coker are bright guys, hopefully all works out

Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December   Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 3:14 am

Might be far fetched or far off but I can imagine UFC cutting ties with Showtime while taking a few of their production guys with them and making their own premium channel in 2014. No more PPV's just $55 a month premium channel rates or something. Programming would be 2 or 3 super cards a month, a regional card every week, vintage UFC/Pride/SF/IFL/best of/KO's/etc., Reruns of old Tuf seasons and cheeser shows like Late Night with Joe Rogan and Super Lame interviews with Goldie or Arriany Next Door. But yeah they would still sell PPV's for all the non subs, jacked up prices though
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December   Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 3:18 am

Very smart thinking GDP, I thought about yearly subsciptions and their own station, not detailed like that though.

I like the idea of lower PPV prices by $10 in the long run too, or any number the UFC can come up with where losses from the drop are made up for in more buys.

Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December   Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 3:22 am

I think they would raise PPV prices as an incentive to subscribing to the channel. Get more pay less vs pay more get less. Easier to sell the buying of the premium channel.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December   Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 3:31 am

Are you saying previously free cards are on the station also? Like Spike and Vs. shows with PPVs?

If so, then I get raising prices to encourage subscriptions, but if pay cards and entertainment are on the station, then they should get some people only want to buy certain PPV shows.

I was just talking in general though about PPVs, not sure a station would even happen.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December   Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 10:16 pm

A UFC channel would be easiest to sell to national TV providers as part of an existing sports tier and that is what we would likely see it as. Like the NFL network or the MLB network. I don't know that a relatively small sports franchise like the UFC(Yankees>UFC) would really gamble on a premium pay channel.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December   Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 1:08 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
A UFC channel would be easiest to sell to national TV providers as part of an existing sports tier and that is what we would likely see it as. Like the NFL network or the MLB network. I don't know that a relatively small sports franchise like the UFC(Yankees>UFC) would really gamble on a premium pay channel.

Cable network could always work though

Just takeover Spike already lol
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December   Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 1:16 pm

I could see them going premium. I pay like $660 a year already for UFC event one shots compared to like $120 a year for 8 Showtime channels.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December   Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 1:18 pm

I don't see the premium channel ever being a reality. I think we are more likely to see UFC on ESPN on day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December   Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December Empty

Back to top Go down

Strikeforce-Zuffa talks began in December
Page 1 of 1