Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?

Go down 
+5
GDPofDRC
MMAEYES
OU
killerofchicken
captain organic
9 posters
AuthorMessage
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? Empty
PostSubject: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 2:45 pm

Personally I hope so. CBS is where it needs to be.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 2:53 pm

i would love for it to be on CBS! it would get huge numbers because SF has stepped up their advertising, and CBS is in a lot more houses than SHOWTIME
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 2:55 pm

I doesn't kill it. But it sets it way back.
http://mmapayout.com/2011/02/ufc-strikeforce-set-to-enjoy-early-2011-success/
"The ratings Strikeforce pulled with its last event are certainly encouraging. I'm not certain a PPV is necessarily in the cards for 2011 - especially now that Fedor is out of the tournament - but I do think they'll do enough to get themselves back on CBS within the year."
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 2:58 pm

Yes I would say the ppv idea is dead.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 3:09 pm

I don't think so. They could easily put together a card of equal dollar value to a UFC event of the same price. They won't yet though because it spreads them too thin. Is there anyone here that would not of paid $55 if the entire HW GP first round was one card? I would of if they did.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 3:12 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
I don't think so. They could easily put together a card of equal dollar value to a UFC event of the same price. They won't yet though because it spreads them too thin. Is there anyone here that would not of paid $55 if the entire HW GP first round was one card? I would of if they did.

I don't think it is dead, but a major setback.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 3:16 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
HELL YEA I WOULD HAVE PAYED IT!
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 3:38 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:

Hell yeah I would have. And I do agree they could put a card together that would equal the excitment of a ufc ppv but like you said they wouldn't cause it would spread them to thin. They could revive it but right now that shit is dead imo.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 5:01 pm

MMA fans, at least PPV buyers, by in large pay for the best fighters, not names. While Fedor being the best had that x-factor, those that beat him bring with them the respect of MMA fans. A setback sure, a killer? No.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 5:39 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:

You are dreaming. Quality wise they could maybe equal it, but name value is what sells and they don't have that...yet. I say they are 2-3 years away at their current rate of growth.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 5:47 pm

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:

You are dreaming. Quality wise they could maybe equal it, but name value is what sells and they don't have that...yet. I say they are 2-3 years away at their current rate of growth.

Can you restate that first part without contradicting yourself so much please.

I say they could put a show on equal to a $55 UFC show, then you say I'm dreaming, then you say what I said, it lacks something.

Are you a spectator who decides to purchase a ppv based on the name of the org or do look at the contents of a card in determining your interest in purchasing a ppv?
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Good point, not trying to fuck up my own argument and I did. Do you think DW would sit by and see how much money SF could do in PPV revenue on 1 special night? Fuck no, he would take a hit in the shorts, shell out the bucks (because he can afford to) and put on a free show with some of his top fighters on Spike TV and they would decimate Strikeforce and possibly put them in the red for the event and kill them for the rest of the year, because they had to blow their wad on the one event. That is not a sound business plan. They need to keep building their stable and slowly pull even. SF is only 1/10th their size anyhow, so they are not in a position to play David to Goliath. They need to be a third their size to even try and compete. 2-3 years though. Does that make sense?
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 6:23 pm

Yes.

It reiterates my point that they will not do it until they have a stable capable of potential PPV shows beyond the 'one shot'.

I think their roster could easily produce two PPV quality cards with out having the same fighters on either, that's too thin though right now compared to the UFC which I think could put out nearly 10 PPV quality cards without using the same fighter twice.

DW fucking with it by countering with a free card backfires in some ways. There are no free cards I remember that would rival the interest that could be potentially generated by SF putting together a PPV quality show. Lack of funds is it. Then people would just stream it.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 7:57 pm

Andrew makes a point.

And that is, there are guys like him, who will pay for a dozen mediocre UFC cards, yet won't pay for a stacked SF card. And they can't even explain in a rational manner why.

There are also those, of a similar ilk, who currently pay for UFC ppv's, but do not even know what SF is.

Now, when a million people tune in to watch an SF card on a pay channel, that is def a sign that things are changing. But I still don't think SF is there yet. Not so much in terms of talent, cause they could stack a card, but in terms of organizational recognition.

I dunno, maybe a Reem Barnett Final, with Fedor vs Werdum as the co-main? Throw on Lashley Batista freak show, Gina's return, and then another solid slugfest involving a Lawler type. That would prob sell well.

But they better get the quarterfinals on CBS first.
Back to top Go down
Jamal
Green Belt
Green Belt
Jamal

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Maybe for the final if they could get a card like this then they could put it on PPV-

Alistair Overeem vs Josh Barnett= Tourney Final
Fedor Emelianenko vs Fabricio Werdum
Antonio Silva vs Sergei Kharitonov
Brett Rogers vs Shane Del Rosario
Valentijn Overeem vs Daniel Cormier

I'd buy it.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 10:24 pm

no and let me tell you why

Fedor will fight the loser of Overeem vs Werdum on that PPV as well as the GP finals
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 11:36 pm

throw Gina back on there and likely Nick Diaz. They won't go into PPV without a stacked card. I'm thinking Hendo also. Maybe even a Hendo-Fedor super fight.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 12:20 am

showtime has a lot of strikeforce on in the middle of week. Heavy artillery on right now. Bigfoot aa then REEM brett. Last week was fedor werdum. Never noticed before, but I've only had showtime since the start of the year. That kind of stuff doesn't hurt for gaining viewers. they are to the point where they can do a best of sf series with 33 sf shows and good shomma fights. More live shows and background programming is useful.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 3:27 am

captain organic wrote:
Andrew makes a point.

And that is, there are guys like him, who will pay for a dozen mediocre UFC cards, yet won't pay for a stacked SF card. And they can't even explain in a rational manner why.

There are also those, of a similar ilk, who currently pay for UFC ppv's, but do not even know what SF is.

Now, when a million people tune in to watch an SF card on a pay channel, that is def a sign that things are changing. But I still don't think SF is there yet. Not so much in terms of talent, cause they could stack a card, but in terms of organizational recognition.

I dunno, maybe a Reem Barnett Final, with Fedor vs Werdum as the co-main? Throw on Lashley Batista freak show, Gina's return, and then another solid slugfest involving a Lawler type. That would prob sell well.

But they better get the quarterfinals on CBS first.

No cap. You are wrong. You see I actually watch a lot more MMA and than you think I do and (Shhh. Don't tell anyone, but I am not Dana White. Thanks for helping out bud) one of the many problems SF has that the UFC doesn't is they don't have a very good sales staff. Do you know how hyped they got people for the last card, which wasn't a bust show wise, but it was not what we were sold?! They had all my friends going "Don't worry the next fight is gonna be worth it!" Strikeforce can't do that. Yes the UFC has an excellent sales machine, Strikeforce doesn't. They completely depend on diehards to make them viable and that is not good. Casual fans make the UFC viable. Casual fans by 3-5 fights a year. That is $235 per buy BTW. Doesn't seem like a lot, but it all adds up. Let me put it in terms you might be able to understand, for simplicity sake. This is the equal to Aquaman attacking Superman on dry land...not smart.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 3:39 am

SF isnt attacking UFC though, they know they cant compete, they are doing a good job its silly to act like they are crumbling when they just drew their largest television audience ever. Strike Force isnt ElitXC, they didnt put their eggs in the basket of a street fighter they put the eggs in the basket of the possible best fighter ever. Not a bad idea.

What happens when great fighters get beat? Other stars are made. People used to claim SF just had Fedor. They cant claim that anymore. Fedor, Big Foot, Overeem, Werdum, Barnett. Thats a murderers row right there.

Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 4:02 am

andrew is so clueless it is comical
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 10:50 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
andrew is so clueless it is comical

R U not buying into the aquaman analogy?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?   Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does the Fedor loss kill the PPV idea?
Page 1 of 1