Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP

Go down 
+5
Jamal
acccardinal12
killerofchicken
Birdofthad
bobbitt15
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP Empty
PostSubject: Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP   Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 11:32 pm

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/2/8/1982709/ufc-welterweight-number-one-contender-jake-shields-will-be-bringing

Solid training partners, but won't help him from getting battered on the feet. I think it will be interesting to see if Shields can get GSP down but even if he does I don't think he'll be able to sub him and see Jake wearing down as the fight goes on
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP   Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:01 am

I guarantee you Askren isnt being brought in to stand with him, these guy are just for the wrestling and their on honstly 2 of the best in the business
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP   Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:11 am

no, i think he's trying to pick up some stand up game from askren

lol!
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP   Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:17 am

I figured he would be training with a bunch of wrestlers. He has better BJJ than GSP imo and the one area they are both strong in is their wrestling. Jake needs to bring in top wrestlers to help him outwrestle GSP. He has two guys that can help in out big time here.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP   Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:21 am

thats his only hope, if he can't take GSP down he'll face the same fate as koscheck
Back to top Go down
Jamal
Green Belt
Green Belt
Jamal

PostSubject: Re: Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP   Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 2:37 am

GSP fights better against wrestlers so bringing them in is a waste of time. Just ask Koscheck.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP   Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 3:34 am

Shields is a different kind of wrestler then Kos. Kos is a power puncher wrestler with some subs, nothing crazy; Jake is a wrestler/grappler with slick BJJ and great top control, he could potentially be a more dangerous opponent. I would still pick GSP in dominant fashion though.

If Jake is gonna win here, I see it with a guillotine, can't imagine him pulling anything else really, and he can't hold down GSP long enough to ek out a decision here.
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP   Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 9:30 am

yep askren has some real solid ground and pound with a lot of power.....good pick up

haha not quite. sonnen is all he needs for the wrestling. atleast sonnen can throw a punch. Sonnen slipped anderson a few times and popped him standing.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP   Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 9:59 am

I assume that Jake is bringing in these guys to help him improve his takedowns and not his takedown defense. Most guys train wrestling for GSP to avoid takedowns but Jake's only chance in this fight is on the ground.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP   Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 10:56 am

I would have brought in Cody McKenzie too, just to help perfect my guillotine. But bringing in two world-class wrestlers, one of which outweighs you (Chael) and one who is quicker (Askren) is a really smart move. Now can he bring it together to offset GSP? No, but a good plan none the less.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP   Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP Empty

Back to top Go down

Shields bringing in Chael and Askren to help train for GSP
Page 1 of 1