Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fights to make after UFC 126:

Go down 
+3
corydd7
GDPofDRC
LA
7 posters
AuthorMessage
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

Fights to make after UFC 126: Empty
PostSubject: Fights to make after UFC 126:   Fights to make after UFC 126: EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 8:37 pm

GDP usully does a thread like this, but saw this on BE and was thinking the same on some of the matchups

We already know two fights coming out of UFC 126. Jon Jones earned himself (with the help of Quinton Jackson's 250-pound physique) a title shot against Mauricio Rua in six weeks at UFC 128. And UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva will finally meet welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre, should GSP get by Jake Shields at UFC 129.

But what about the rest of the UFC 126 roster?

Forrest Griffin vs. Quinton Jackson coming off a loss OR Lyoto Machida coming off a win - At this point in his career, Griffin isn't going to be fighting the likes of Hector Ramirez again. As Rich Franklin alluded in his pre-fight hype video, you're stuck in the shark tank once you jump in. So fights with fringe top-20 guys like Alexander Gustafsson and Jason Brilz aren't an option. Griffin's out for six months anyway, so waiting things out isn't an issue. Jackson or Machida would provide an interesting storyline (revenge match for Jackson, Forrest seeks revenge for Couture with Machida) and an elite fighter.

If Page doesn't get a shot if he beats Thiago, I like the Forrest fight still, Machida if he beats Randy vs Forrest would be great too.

Rich Franklin vs. Ryan Bader - I could see the UFC throttling back on Bader coming out of UFC 126, but I think he's entering "what you see is what you get" territory. It gives him a good name to fight that he has the tools to beat. The UFC can throttle him back should he lose. Plus, Franklin is in a similar position as Griffin, and he isn't a great option for the other guys in the top ten right now.

Love it

Vitor Belfort vs. Yushin Okami - We're assuming, of course, that Georges St. Pierre beats Jake Shields, and that Yushin Okami isn't going to pull a Rashad Evans as a result. I'm also assuming the UFC doesn't scrap plans of Wanderlei Silva vs. Brian Stann in favor of the Wandy/Belfort rematch (in which case, Okami fights Demian Maia). I could also see Belfort fighting Jorge Santiago should he join the UFC.

Feel bad for Okami but be a great fight in the division

Jake Ellenberger vs. Dong Hyun Kim - Much to his chagrin, I don't think Ellenberger is getting a fight with Jon Fitch, regardless of the result of Fitch's fight with B.J. Penn at UFC 127. This fight acts as a sort of eliminator into the Lytle/Sanchez/Thiago tier at welterweight.

Perfect matchup within the division where both guys are

Miguel Torres vs. Demetrious Johnson - The UFC probably wants to push Urijah Faber into a title shot should he get by Eddie Wineland, so we can rule him out. Wagnney Fabiano is available, but he's coming off a loss to Joseph Benavidez. Johnson's probably going to jump into a lot of top ten lists this month, and the timing just makes sense.

I'd take this or Bowles if he wins his next fight

Chad Mendes vs. Kenny Florian or Tyson Griffin - The 145-pound division is about to get awfully interesting. I think Griffin's the likely option, as I see the UFC handing Diego Nunes or Dustin Poirier or Michihiro Omigawa to Kenny Florian. Mendes is probably in line for a title shot if he wins his next fight regardless of the opponent.

I see they like both our ideas here, Mendes fighting either Flo or Griffin

Donald Cerrone vs. Evan Dunham - Everyone's calling Cerrone out, and there's a lot of UFC lightweights that would be appropriate opponents for him, but I think this is the fight that makes the most sense to me

Eh, little too big a jump for Cerrone IMO
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Fights to make after UFC 126:   Fights to make after UFC 126: EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 8:55 pm

Vitor - He somehow needs to fight Wanderlei Silve at UFC: Rio. Even with the Anderson fight being for the belt, I think, from a South American perspective(lol which I don't actually have) that this would be the biggest fight ever between two Brazilians.

Anderson Silva - If not GSP than Okami finally.

Rich Franklin - Winner of Tito Lil Nog.

Forrest Griffin - Same as above actually.

Ryan Bader - Thiago Silva if he loses or preferably the winner of Matt Hamill vs Phil Davis.

Jake Ellenberger - Matt Hughes or Paulo Thiago

Carlos Eduardo Rocha - John Howard

Antonio Banuelos - Nick Pace

Miguel Torres - Michael McDonald, please make it happen.

Donald Cerrone - Sean Sherk

Paul Taylor - Edson Barbosa, would be sick.

Demetrious Johnson - Renan Barao
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
corydd7
Green Belt
Green Belt
corydd7

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the name Silva, Chris Leben, Nick Diaz, Don Frye

PostSubject: Re: Fights to make after UFC 126:   Fights to make after UFC 126: EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 9:00 pm

if he does drop down rashad silva makes sense to me. Did I miss how long rashad will be out I don't recall hearing anything?
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Fights to make after UFC 126:   Fights to make after UFC 126: EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 9:01 pm

VItor Belfort vs Rashard Evans!
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Fights to make after UFC 126:   Fights to make after UFC 126: EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 9:02 pm

What about Kid and Omigawa?

Though about Lil Nog vs Franklin too, also like Lil Nog vs Forrest

Sherk would work Cerrone

IDK who Rocha should fight, but he def deserves 2 more in the UFC.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Fights to make after UFC 126:   Fights to make after UFC 126: EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 9:07 pm

I'd love to see Cowboy vs Dunham, I think Ceronne deserves it
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Fights to make after UFC 126:   Fights to make after UFC 126: EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 9:10 pm

Anderson Silva - Okami.

Rich Franklin - Bader.

Forrest Griffin - Rashad or Bones/Shogun loser.

Ryan Bader - Franklin.

Donald Cerrone - Cole Miller, give the man what he wants.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Fights to make after UFC 126:   Fights to make after UFC 126: EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 9:12 pm

Well when you consider Dunham has actually lost 2 in a row, I forgot that cause I felt he beat Sherk, it isn't that bad actually.

Cerrone vs Louzon (spelling) wouldn't be bad either.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: Fights to make after UFC 126:   Fights to make after UFC 126: EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 9:14 pm

LA wrote:
Well when you consider Dunham has actually lost 2 in a row, I forgot that cause I felt he beat Sherk, it isn't that bad actually.

Cerrone vs Louzon (spelling) wouldn't be bad either.
as long as he gets a good step up in comp. not that im saying kelly is a bad fighter, cuz he's always dangerous
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Fights to make after UFC 126:   Fights to make after UFC 126: EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 11:14 pm

killerofchicken wrote:
VItor Belfort vs Rashard Evans!

For sure if Rashad has to drop
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Fights to make after UFC 126:   Fights to make after UFC 126: EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 11:14 pm

See some good ideas. Franklin vs Lil Nog-Tito winner is my favorite probably. That should definitely happen
Back to top Go down
Jamal
Green Belt
Green Belt
Jamal

PostSubject: Re: Fights to make after UFC 126:   Fights to make after UFC 126: EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 2:41 am

GSP said he needs 6-9 months of training after the Shields fight to fight Silva. That means the fight wont happen until November at the earliest. Silva has more than enough time to fight Okami by then.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: Fights to make after UFC 126:   Fights to make after UFC 126: EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 pm

I would also like to see Cerrone vs Guilllard
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Fights to make after UFC 126:   Fights to make after UFC 126: EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 8:35 pm

That'd be a huge jump up, Melvin's like a Sot win from a Title shot.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: Fights to make after UFC 126:   Fights to make after UFC 126: EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Fuck it, I wanna see what Cerrone is made of... Feed him to the wolves, if he comes out on top then he's legit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fights to make after UFC 126:   Fights to make after UFC 126: Empty

Back to top Go down

Fights to make after UFC 126:
Page 1 of 1