Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What makes an event great in your opinion?

Go down 
+4
Birdofthad
KingsOwn19
OU
LA
8 posters
AuthorMessage
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

What makes an event great in your opinion? Empty
PostSubject: What makes an event great in your opinion?   What makes an event great in your opinion? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 8:02 pm

There was an interesting split with UFC 126 which lead me to ask this question. It certainly didn't live up to expectations, but at least for me, the overall quality of the matchups outweighed or overcame some of the letdown. We had people voting 4's and 5's and other 9's, really just curious what makes a great event for you?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: What makes an event great in your opinion?   What makes an event great in your opinion? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 8:05 pm

Exciting fights from high ranked fighters. Preferably with a guy I'm a fan of winning and/or a guy I hate losing. Good fights from good fighters from top to bottom.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: What makes an event great in your opinion?   What makes an event great in your opinion? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 8:13 pm

exciting fights from top to bottom.

great moment can make poor events good.

great moment with decent fights top to bottom might make an event great.

I probably would have rated UFC 126 a 4-5 if not for Anderson Silva's front kick. So if the card was about a 6-7 for me at that point, then i might consider it great.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: What makes an event great in your opinion?   What makes an event great in your opinion? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 8:23 pm

3.5 out of 5 stars

I took a couple of my boxing friends to watch the fights, when it was over they werent that impressed, one of them said "thats it? well that sucks"

I think for an event of this magnitude the common fan was expecting a much more exciting card and a main event that wasnt over in the first round
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: What makes an event great in your opinion?   What makes an event great in your opinion? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 8:48 pm

I had the opposite experience with MMA noobs. The 2 new guys that were with my group loved it. As for what makes an event great, it's about a combination of relevance and excitement. This card was fantastic in that regard. Most of the fights were pretty good, then the fact that there were so many fights that were relevant to title pictures. The people saying this was like a 4 or 5 are insane.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: What makes an event great in your opinion?   What makes an event great in your opinion? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 9:06 pm

What makes a great event to me is an evenly matched card with at least 1 title on the line and the fights are competitve. There would have been nothing better than Spider vs Vitor going 5 rounds in a back and fourth battle with both having a shot to win it at certain points. Although I was happy with Spider winning and seeing something I have never seen before in a straight kick to the face to end it, the fight was no where near what i thought it could have been. Basically it didnt get close to the hype.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: What makes an event great in your opinion?   What makes an event great in your opinion? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 9:49 pm

I think u can get to a great event in numerous ways.

I prob gave 126 too high a ranking. I actually didn't watch most of the card. But what I did watch was 2 great fighters doing what great fighters do, and I'm all about that.

Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: What makes an event great in your opinion?   What makes an event great in your opinion? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 9:53 pm

chorky777 wrote:
I had the opposite experience with MMA noobs. The 2 new guys that were with my group loved it. As for what makes an event great, it's about a combination of relevance and excitement. This card was fantastic in that regard. Most of the fights were pretty good, then the fact that there were so many fights that were relevant to title pictures. The people saying this was like a 4 or 5 are insane.

I just think after hearing Rogan shout about this being the biggest Middleweight fight ever in the UFC they were expecting a war, not a flash KO
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: What makes an event great in your opinion?   What makes an event great in your opinion? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 9:55 pm

I mean honestly for me...what makes a great event? well heres how it goes

minimum excitement - a guy that trains with the Lions Den wins
Pretty fucking excited - a fighter from the Lions Den gyms wins
Im fucking amped - an original Lions Den fighter wins a fight
Most Monumental Event Ever - a Lions Den fighter just won a title
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: What makes an event great in your opinion?   What makes an event great in your opinion? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 11:39 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
I mean honestly for me...what makes a great event? well heres how it goes

minimum excitement - a guy that trains with the Lions Den wins
Pretty fucking excited - a fighter from the Lions Den gyms wins
Im fucking amped - an original Lions Den fighter wins a fight
Most Monumental Event Ever - a Lions Den fighter just won a title

lol nice
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: What makes an event great in your opinion?   What makes an event great in your opinion? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 11:24 am

I'd give an event a 10 if every fight was exciting, that's it, know I'll give an event a high ranking just on a BJ win or a GSP/Brock loss but the make the event a 10 every damn fight has to be exciting. And to me most the fights on UFC126 were exciting so it gets a high rating from me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What makes an event great in your opinion?   What makes an event great in your opinion? Empty

Back to top Go down

What makes an event great in your opinion?
Page 1 of 1