Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Derek Jeter

Go down 
+7
Farmer1906
Jruq
timthebim
cascade_run
Bigs03
CainVelasquezFan
oggy420
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 11:22 pm

Honestly i know alot of people hate the Yankees but i think everyone has to respect this guy. I mean this guy is the model of consistency and sportsmanship. I think he is underappreciated by major legue baseball fans. He has been one of the top players since he entered the league in 95. He is the Captain, he is Mr. November.

Congrats to number 2 for becomin the NY Yankees all time hit leader. Number 3,000 is right around the corner. Do i hear 4,000???
Back to top Go down
CainVelasquezFan
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
CainVelasquezFan

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cain Velasquez and Diaz Brothers, Urijah Faber, Gilbert Melendez and Jon Jones

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 12:57 am

congrats for that great achievement...
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 1:25 am

No way he gets to 4000 but he's an awesome player for sure.
Back to top Go down
cascade_run
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
cascade_run

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 1:07 am

Respect his bed post.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 4:37 pm

I respect him a ton but cant wait till my Tigers knock them out of the playoffs in a couple weeks. We will play them in the 1st round.
Back to top Go down
Jruq
Green Belt
Green Belt
Jruq

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 12:04 pm

oggy420 wrote:
Honestly i know alot of people hate the Yankees but i think everyone has to respect this guy. I mean this guy is the model of consistency and sportsmanship. I think he is underappreciated by major legue baseball fans. He has been one of the top players since he entered the league in 95. He is the Captain, he is Mr. November.

Congrats to number 2 for becomin the NY Yankees all time hit leader. Number 3,000 is right around the corner. Do i hear 4,000???

Underappreciated? lol!
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 12:20 pm

Jruq wrote:
oggy420 wrote:

Underappreciated? lol!

+1

No way 4000, but 3000 is special.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 1:01 pm

Derek Jetuh
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 5:46 pm

umm yes. When people talk about the greatest players of all time Jeter is never brought up. Even around yankee fans he's not mentioned as one of the top yankees even though he is their all time hit leader. Show me another SS that has put up those type of numbers year in and year out.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 5:49 pm

oggy420 wrote:
umm yes. When people talk about the greatest players of all time Jeter is never brought up. Even around yankee fans he's not mentioned as one of the top yankees even though he is their all time hit leader. Show me another SS that has put up those type of numbers year in and year out.

Because he isn't one of the greatest of all time. He a great and a HOF lock, but compared to Mays, Aaron, Ruth, Williams, etc he just isn't in that class. Just because he did it as a shortstop doesn't make him better than the best. Now if you want to call him the greatest shortstop ever I guess you could make an argument. I'd say he's probably the 2nd best on his own team though.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 5:55 pm

im assuming you are talking about A-rod? Yea maybe we can talk when he gets 1 meaningful hit in october or November. He's not nearly as clutch as Jeter. When the game is on the line there is no one i'd rather have at the plate than Derek Jeter.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 5:59 pm

A lot of Yankees I bet would want Matsui
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 6:11 pm

Matsui? He's good but not on jeter's level. Cant see why they would want Mtsui who has never played in a world series game at the plate at a clutch time when Jeter has proven to be probably the most clutch player in the league.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 6:27 pm

oggy420 wrote:
im assuming you are talking about A-rod? Yea maybe we can talk when he gets 1 meaningful hit in october or November. He's not nearly as clutch as Jeter. When the game is on the line there is no one i'd rather have at the plate than Derek Jeter.

I'm really just splitting hairs here. Jeter is a great great great player. I think we all realize that.

But if I want a clutch players I might go with Big Papi (on roids), Manny, or Pujols. They're just as clutch yet have a shit ton more pop in their bat.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 6:52 pm

oggy420 wrote:
Matsui? He's good but not on jeter's level. Cant see why they would want Mtsui who has never played in a world series game at the plate at a clutch time when Jeter has proven to be probably the most clutch player in the league.

Became a Yankees fan after 2003?

Jeter is overrated by most Yankee fans first off, he's good, but not nearly as good as they make him out to be.

In terms of clutchness, ur really sealing Matsui short, most Yankees fans know how clutch the guy is, I bet he's had more clutch hits then Jeter this season.

And Jeter certainly isn't the most clutch hitter in the league
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 7:05 pm

derek jeters playoff stats

309. Batting Average
17 hr's
16 steals
377 on base %
85 runs - most by any player ever
153 hits - most by any player ever
50 rbi's

thats not clutch though right?
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 7:31 pm

and how is he overrated by yankees fans? What about him makes him overrated at all?

Is it because he has a career batting average of almost 320? Is it that he's the ALL TIME YANKEES HIT LEADER? Is it because he will probably end up with over 3,500 hits in his career?

Just curious.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 7:46 pm

Playoff totals don't impress me that much because well he's been in the playoffs almost every year of his career. That has more to do with how the Yanks are run then how good he is compared to everyone else. Very very few players have the luxury of having the guys he's had behind him his entire career.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 8:01 pm

For Yankee fans playoff stats are all that matters. I dont care if you hit 50 hr's in the regular season, if you dont produce in the playoffs you are useless. Thats why Derek Jeter is held in a much higher regard than Arod is in NY.

Derek Jeter always comes through on the biggest stage when the pressure is on. He's been a worls series mvp, i've mentioned his stats, they speak for themselve. Why anyone would even want to try to down play what this guy has accomplished in his career is beyone me.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 8:03 pm

Clutch is the guy who comes through in the big spot, not the guy who has played in a ridiculous number of playoff games so is likely to accumulate the most stats. Also, being the Yankee hit leader, games played leader whatever doesn't neccessarily make him such a great player, he is a great player, but in terms of Yankee fans, he is overrated. He played in a lot of games, and started at a young age, so was likely to become the all-time leader in some categories as a Yankee. As a player, he is good, he's a great average hitter, and in good years will give you around 200+ hits, but he's not a very good fielding SS, gets a lot of runs, but has always played in a great offenses, with very good hitters around him.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 8:10 pm

+
----
-"Clutch is the guy who comes through in the big spot"

is the world series a big spot. Is 12 game winning hits in one season meaningless because he's played alot of games? I dont get this "he's played in alot of games so he's gonna break some records". WTF is that? Seriously? If he wasn't the great player he is he wouldn't be the all time mlb playoffs hit and runs leader. Period. No matter how many games he's played.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 8:30 pm

and let's not act like he's an atrocious fielder. He's won 5 gold gloves and his running jumping fade-away throw is his trademark play. Yea he's a bit older now and doesn't have the range he used to have, but in his prime he was as good a fielding ss as anyone.

and one final thing about Derek. Im not sure if there has ever been a more respectable person to play the game. He is such a class act. The dude has always given his all and all he cares about is winning games. If there has ever been a more classy professional and yet fierce competitor as him, well i cant think on any. He's a team first guy and thats why Yankee fans really put him in such high regard.
Back to top Go down
Thomasdrrn09
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
Thomasdrrn09

Favorite Fighter(s) : MMA-Forrest Griffin, Nate Diaz, GSP Boxing-Cotto,

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 9:05 pm

yeah farmer playoff stats don't matter....... when you are an astros fan cuz they are never in
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 10:25 pm

Thomasdrrn09 wrote:
yeah farmer playoff stats don't matter....... when you are an astros fan cuz they are never in

Of course they matter. But is it really more impressive to have to most hits when you have a ton more ABs than everyone else? Why not look at best batting avg or OPS with at least 100 ABs? Seems more fair for individual comparisions.

As for the 'stros we've been in the playoffs in '97, '98, '99, '01, '04, & '05. (recent history) so that aint bad for someone without an unlimited payroll.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 11:04 pm

lol@derek jeter career assassination attempts.

like Patriot/Brady attempts, it's just assbabble from sour grapes fruitcakes who skew logic to fit their world view.

I hate the Yankees, but fuck, Jeter is one of the absolute best of our generation.

LA can't have ya back here nigga
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Sponsored content

Derek Jeter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Derek Jeter   Derek Jeter Empty

Back to top Go down

Derek Jeter
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next