Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket

Go down 
+12
KingsOwn19
Wolfgangsta
acccardinal12
Cu Bu
Jamal
LA
bobbitt15
captain organic
GDPofDRC
Primetyme199
corydd7
Birdofthad
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 11:29 pm

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
Sefo vs Othereem apparently in an alternate bout. Maybe they can make SDR vs Lavar Johnson?

I think they should have SDR or Lavar in over Grim. He is coming off of two straight losses right? If they go with SDR they could have Grim vs Lavar.

Well he won a fight outside the promotion. But he is the most established with the biggest win, of the SDR Lavar Grim trio.

Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 11:34 pm

captain organic wrote:
bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
Sefo vs Othereem apparently in an alternate bout. Maybe they can make SDR vs Lavar Johnson?

I think they should have SDR or Lavar in over Grim. He is coming off of two straight losses right? If they go with SDR they could have Grim vs Lavar.

Well he won a fight outside the promotion. But he is the most established with the biggest win, of the SDR Lavar Grim trio.

Meh, I would take an undefeated up and come like SDR over Grim right now. I could say the same for AA and I hate to admit that.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 11:42 pm

beast gets it we have 3 fights we have all been yelling for and we get 2 of them no matter what

also guys, lets keep something in mind, If Overeem and Fedor get easy route to the finals who is going to watch the tournament, whereas with this we have a stacked tournament with each card featuring a blockbuster match up that us fans will surely watch.

Seriosuly guys are we going to bitch if we watch Overeem vs Fedor in April and say ohh but I wanted this in 2 months, no way, way to go strikeforce I for one will be watching......at a friends.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 11:43 pm

Quote :
They could still both potentially lose in the first rd, exiting 2 of the other 4 top contenders regardless.

Look at this criticism. They wouldn't be the top contenders anymore then, and the winners would be. If the matchmaking were different you'd be whining that they were giving the favorites easy bouts.

SF announces a tournament and who is the only person contriving ways to criticize them? LA. Who else?

LA I was going to criticize myself and everyone for even engaging in this discourse with you, because it's a fruitless effort and your routine and angle are well known. This isn't an honest, good faith discussion. But you serve as a devil's advocate we can use to present the casual UFC joe sixpack view point and expose it for what it is. So carry on gentlemen.

Last edited by Wolfgangsta on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 11:44 pm

Quote :
Meh, I would take an undefeated up and come like SDR over Grim right now. I could say the same for AA and I hate to admit that.

Likewise. I'd also rather have the NFC west team kicked out of the playoffs.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 11:46 pm

I wish Grim was on the other side of the bracket so he could possibly fight Overeem again. You could probably smell the fear through your TV speakers
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 11:57 pm

haha thats pretty true bobbit, i wonder if Grim was like look damn it put me on the side with the old guys haha
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 11:59 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
I wish Grim was on the other side of the bracket so he could possibly fight Overeem again. You could probably smell the fear through your TV speakers

eh, the fear factor does not overtake the blah factor on this one.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 12:18 am

no problem with the tournament bracket. It's not set up to where the two favorites(Fedor, Ubereem) are in seperate brackets for a potential final showdown, but it does set up the appropriate title contender/shot system. Werdum gets the first crack at Overeem for beating Fedor. The winner of the Fedor-Bigfoot fight should clearly get to fight for the title next...and whoever comes out of the other side of the bracket will have earned a title shot.

In the end, the ultimate prize is the championship because barring any "non-title match" shenanigans. The title is going to the finals.

I don't know if they needed to do that in tournament format, but it does set the stage for the SF HW division and title for the next year.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 12:21 am

Are title fights in the tourney 4 rnds?
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 12:24 am

I hope they would be 5 rounds.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 12:43 am

KingsOwn19 wrote:
no problem with the tournament bracket. It's not set up to where the two favorites(Fedor, Ubereem) are in seperate brackets for a potential final showdown, but it does set up the appropriate title contender/shot system. Werdum gets the first crack at Overeem for beating Fedor. The winner of the Fedor-Bigfoot fight should clearly get to fight for the title next...and whoever comes out of the other side of the bracket will have earned a title shot.

In the end, the ultimate prize is the championship because barring any "non-title match" shenanigans. The title is going to the finals.

I don't know if they needed to do that in tournament format, but it does set the stage for the SF HW division and title for the next year.

+++
It's almost like it makes too much sense.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 12:59 am

KingsOwn19 wrote:

Yup it looks straight to me... I would rather see Fedor vs Reem/Werdum sooner rather than later.
Back to top Go down
Jamal
Green Belt
Green Belt
Jamal

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 1:02 am

What happens in the case of a draw?
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 2:50 am

No draws, they can fight up to 25 minutes.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Jamal
Green Belt
Green Belt
Jamal

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 2:56 am

So overtime? If so that awesome.
Back to top Go down
Jamal
Green Belt
Green Belt
Jamal

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 2:57 am

Overeem's fight can't be 5 rounds then.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 4:56 am

hi freak
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 7:49 am

Gee to me it looks like they are setting up for bracket A to kick the shit out of bracket B. I think Carrot Top could have put together a better bracket with a blindfold, darts, a spinning wheel.
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 11:11 am

figured they would of put reem and fedor on opposite sides of the bracket to set up the likely championship bout but hey earlier is fine with me.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 10:58 pm

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/1/8/1923703/fabricio-werdum-isnt-happy-about-giving-alistair-overeem-a-rematch

Quote :
Two-time BJJ world champion, two-time ADCC champion, and UFC and Pride veteran Fabricio Werdum shocked the world when he choked out Fedor Emelianenko in 2010. Now he'll challenge Alistair Overeem for the Strikeforce title in the first round of their heavyweight tournament.

He talked to Tatame about the fight:

Technically, your side of the key is stronger, is where the favorites are. Why do you think that Strikeforce matched the fights this way?

I believe they did it that way so that they can sell many pay-per-view subscriptions on the semifinals and on the finale. They're betting I'll beat Overeem and that Fedor beats Big Foot, because they know everybody wants that rematch. So, they want to guarantee a good semifinal so that they sell it out and they're betting on it. Who doesn't want to watch a rematch like this one?
Both Kharitoov and Arlovski has beaten you. Do you think about fighting them again?

What I think about is a rematch with Fedor. I wouldn't like to give Overeem this rematch, I'm just fighting because the event matched this fight. To Fedor I'll give this rematch happily, because I like him and he deserves this rematch. But first I have to think about how I'll beat Overeem so that rematch can happen.

When this fight is announced I may have a countdown in my sig on the number of days left until Fabricio is regaining consciousness just in time to see Overeem giving his post fight interview
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 11:09 pm

Werdum knows he wont beat Overeem and thats why he sounds so stupid about not wanting to fight Overeem in a rematch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket   Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Strikeforce's Heavyweight Grand Prix Bracket
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2