Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

5 Fighters Who Could Have Been All Time Greats

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

5 Fighters Who Could Have Been All Time Greats Empty
Post5 Fighters Who Could Have Been All Time Greats

5 Fighter's Who Could Have Been All Time Greats

5 Fighters Who Could Have Been All Time Greats Ba-olympics_wres_0498983321
(Kevin Jackson celebrating with another winner)

These are 5 fighter's that have accomplished a good amount in their mma career's, some have even won titles and tournaments, but they still did not live up too their full potential.

Kevin Jackson - The most decorated wrestler to ever enter MMA/NHB. This guy was a gold medalist in 92, not a 7th place or alternate (like Coleman and Severn) this guy was probably the best wrestler on the Olympic squad. He entered MMA in 1997 at an Extreme Fighting event, he faced John Lober (a tough fighter) and he won via arm triangle. He then entered UFC 14's 200 Pound tournamet and submitted 2 nobodies. He then lost to Frank Shamrock and Jerry Bohlander both via armbar, after the Bohlander fight he beat Sam Adkins. Then something happened. The USA Wrestling Olympic team told Kevin (a coach) too choose MMA or Olympic Wrestling. He chose wrestling. If he continued to learn (and he would have) who knows what he could have accomplished.

Kevin Randleman - Another beefed up collegiate all star wrestler with talent for days. Its kind of mind boggling to imagine THe Monster wrestling at 178 pounds because in his MMA career he was a huge beast (sometimes 250). Randleman had a very impressive run to start his UFC career beating former popular champion Maurice Smith, lost a controversial (Randleman won IMO) split decision to Bas Rutten, beat Pete Williams for the title, defended against Pedro Rizzo and then lost to Randy Couture. Thats an extremely impressive run. Unfortunately Randleman seemed to peak during this run and never really grew, he remained an impressive wrestler who would occasionally drop knees (LOOK OUT when he did) and punches from the top. But if I had a nickel for everytime Kevin Randleman was on top of a fighter gasping for air, I'd have a shit load of nickel's. He had some more impressive wins (Rua and Cro Cop) but Randleman never lived up to his full potential. He still accomplished alot though, not trying to knock him at all.

Vitor Belfort - No joke, there was a time when UFC brass thought Vitor Belfort would reign over the promotion for as long as he wanted. They thought he would destroy everyone the way he had Tank Abbott or submit them (Carlos Gracie were talking here) if needed. Randy Couture smashed that pipe dream and Vitor never again really lived up to the lofty expectations that were lofted on him at the age of 19. Hey he still has a chance though when he faces Anderson Silva to finally do it. Belfort did have a title reign but he was kinda a paper champion (dont like to use that term).

Ricardo Arona - He has wins over Guy Mezger, Jeremy Horn, Dan Henderson, Murilo Rua and Alistair Overeem but he has never lived up to his full potential (like the other men on the list). Honestly maybe we can't blame him for being so inactive the past 4 years (2 fights), you would be to if you took that Rampage slam. But if Ricardo Arona had really stayed on top of his craft and fought smart he could have gone down as one of the best all time. He also still has a chance at redemption.

Mark Kerr - Sadly has gotta be the number 1 coulda been of all time in the MMA world. However, Mark Kerr's own demon's did him in. From 1997 to 1999 Kerr posted an 11-0 1 NC record. Although his biggest wins were over Fabio Gurgel, Paul Varelans and Takada. Then something happened, if you have seen Smashing Machine you know what I mean. When Kerr lost his first fight to Kaz Fujita it was clear he was not the same fighter he was even a year ago (yet alone the one from 1998). Kerr basically was living in a living hell and it showed in the ring and cage. He went 1-6 after the Fujita loss, seemed to always gas and was mediocre standing. Kerr has gone 4-11 since Y2K (ya I typed Y2K). His last fight was a 25 second loss to King Mo in 2009, sad to see knowing what he could have been.

Honorable Mention : Mark Hunt (if he trained), Ryan Gracie (if he wasn't the "bad boy"), Ricco Rodriguez (Im ready for wolf to complain)
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

5 Fighters Who Could Have Been All Time Greats :: Comments

Andrew the Raider King
Re: 5 Fighters Who Could Have Been All Time Greats
Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:48 am by Andrew the Raider King
I think you have made some great points. I would also add Jerry Bohlander to the list, just because he could have been something special. I thought he was one of the first guys to integrate multiple styles and was usually great in transition. Last I heard he was a cop somewhere in NoCal...
Wolfgangsta
Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:49 am by Wolfgangsta
Why would I complain?

Pedro Rizzo is another one that walked this line.
Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:52 am by Birdofthad
[quote="Andrew the Raider King"]I think you have made some great points. I would also add Jerry Bohlander to the list, just because he could have been something special. I thought he was one of the first guys to integrate multiple styles and was usually great in transition. Last I heard he was a cop somewhere in NoCal...[/

I personally have bohlander and mikey Burnett up there as well an yep Jerry became a cop after 9 11. Bohlander may have been the top under 200 pound fighter n the world
Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:53 am by Birdofthad
Wolfgangsta wrote:
Why would I complain?

Pedro Rizzo is another one that walked this line.

Weargued cause I said he didn't fulfill his potentialatleast I thought wedid
Wolfgangsta
Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:54 am by Wolfgangsta
If I had to complain I would bring up how you constantly devalue Jackson's tournament victory.
Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:55 am by Birdofthad
I will never forget when Jerry semi flip sprawled ferrozzo and then kneed ferrozzo I. The head and sunk in a guillotine
Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:58 am by Birdofthad
Wolf he beat Todd butller (1 and 4) and Tony frykland (14 and 9) a tough fighter but by no means a stacked tournament, he grounded them and won in under 2 minutes impressive but Kerr, Couture and Jackson all won pretty weak tourneys. Colemans default tourney as well was a let down.. Don't worry I'm not saying it was Steve Jennum tournament winner bad
OU
Lee Murray?
Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:56 pm by Birdofthad
OU wrote:
Lee Murray?

Murray had the skill set to be something , hell he owned Andersons buddy, but so did Travis Lutter and I dont think we consider Travis a possible ATG. Jose Lanid Jones was his biggest win, but the emphamis Tito Ortiz street fight makes everyone wonder more than his actual 8-2-1 record IMO.

Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:06 pm by Birdofthad
Kevin Jackson winning the GOld at the 92 Olympics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMS0SPaXY38
KingsOwn19
Post Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:40 pm by KingsOwn19
Nice write up. I don't think i agree with Belfort being there simply because the book is not closed on him yet. He still has plenty of years left in him and he's about to fight the most prolific middleweight of all time for the most prestigious belt.

Also, i'm suprised that you didnt mention that in between 2004-2007, where Belfort went 2-5 before getting on his current win streak, he was dealing with the kidnapping and eventual murder of his sister. I don't think it's a coincidence that was the only real down time of his career as far as performance goes.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:26 am by Birdofthad
KingsOwn19 wrote:
Nice write up. I don't think i agree with Belfort being there simply because the book is not closed on him yet. He still has plenty of years left in him and he's about to fight the most prolific middleweight of all time for the most prestigious belt.

Also, i'm suprised that you didnt mention that in between 2004-2007, where Belfort went 2-5 before getting on his current win streak, he was dealing with the kidnapping and eventual murder of his sister. I don't think it's a coincidence that was the only real down time of his career as far as performance goes.

Ya I remember that right before the Couture rematch, he definitely hit a personal skid, but IMO , he still never lived up to what he could have been or the hype that surrounded him. I definitely dot think Vitor tapped into his full potential or reached his ceiling when he could have.

Other than the win over Heath Herring and Wanderlei (I aint chalking the Randy cut eye as a big win) Vitor has come up short vs the top competition. Losing to Kazushi, Chuck, Tito, Randy (twice), Dan Henderson and Overeem

Franklin was done as a top fughter when they fought

just my 2 cents though, glad you enjoyed the write up and appreciate the comments
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:44 pm by Birdofthad
Belfort's mental fortitude has been called in to question in the past and for some time it had to be asked before his bouts, "Which Vitor will show up to fight?"

that statement is Vitor in a nutshell

http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/2010/1227/535008/wanderlei-silva/#
Wolfgangsta
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:48 pm by Wolfgangsta
Franklin still isn't done as a top fighter. If he KO's Forrest I'd advocate for a title shot. He's owed one by the promotion at this point for all the catchweights and short notice bouts he's taken.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:07 pm by Birdofthad
agree wolf Franklin isnt done as a top fighter but no one and I mean no one will argue he is still in his prime
Wolfgangsta
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:14 pm by Wolfgangsta
Birdofthad wrote:
agree wolf Franklin isnt done as a top fighter but no one and I mean no one will argue he is still in his prime

Yes I am sure a lot of people might argue that. I don't think it's the case either but it's plausible he could end 2011 as LHW champion, and if that happens...?
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:20 pm by Birdofthad
shit if hat happens my mind will be blown, I just dont think he can compete with the top guys, and I dont think Forrest is a top guy anymore honestly....I hate Tito and well, I still dont know how Forrest got that decision...and I was happy he did
GDPofDRC
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:31 pm by GDPofDRC
I personally feel Forrest is highly overrated right now. Since finishing the hurt Shogun over three years ago he has been Ko'd twice and won two decisions that plenty of people thought he lost yet is still top 5 in a lot of places. He fights a lot of good guys in the last 5, but hasn't looked wholly better than any of them as it stands today. And it's been 13 months since the Ortiz split decision. I got Rich.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:55 pm by Birdofthad
great sum up GDP pretty much my thoughts exactly, and I think Rich beats Forrest

what Im saying is I dont think it means as much as some people will claim

GDPofDRC
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:11 pm by GDPofDRC
I think he would need another win over a top 5er. If he beats Forrest he still isn't top 5 for me unless he obliternihlates the gump out of him.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:38 pm by Birdofthad
I agree, no offense to Forrest he had an impressive run, but beating him and Chuck Liddell isnt worthy of top 5 at the moment

5 Fighters Who Could Have Been All Time Greats

Page 1 of 1