Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes

Go down 
+5
Ludo
Wolfgangsta
Birdofthad
GDPofDRC
captain organic
9 posters
AuthorMessage
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes Empty
PostSubject: Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes   Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 7:14 pm

as per Ariel.

Posted by Ariel Helwani on 12/9/2010 at 1:48PM
Pick A Side
~fireup-a-tag~Fire It Up

Fire It Up

Email

Japanese featherweight star Michihiro Omigawa has signed with the UFC and will debut against Chad Mendes in either February or March, Versus.com has learned from sources.

Omigawa, 12-8-1, has won his last five fights in a row and is 8-2-1 since dropping down to featherweight.

The 34-year-old Japanese fighter is universally considered one of the 10 best featherweights in the world. He has defeated the likes of Hatsu Hioki, Cole Escovedo, Marlon Sandro and Nam Phan.

It has been rumored for several months that he was in contract negotiations with Zuffa, the parent company of the UFC.

Mendes, 9-0, most recently defeated Javier Vazquez at WEC 52 via unanimous decision. The Team Alpha Male member debuted in WEC in March and has won his first four fights in WEC. This will mark his first fight in the UFC.

It is still unknown whether the fight will take place at UFC 126 in February or 128 in March.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes   Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 7:18 pm

Useful signing. Thinking about it, the somewhat lower exposure of these divisions in the US and globally (even though it's not nearly the same case in Japan) is gonna make it easier for the UFC to pump their divisions up trt style. The fight with Mendez is good. Right now I'm picking Mendez but ask me again in a week.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes   Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 7:25 pm

Omigawi is one of the most well respected guys outside the UFC in this division. This is a big signing. If Mendes wins, it's a big win for him, an upset win.

Great signing.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes   Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 7:29 pm

WOW this is awesome, never thoguht I would see Omigawa in the UFC again , happy he is back and man cant wait to see him in the division
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes   Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 9:50 pm

I literally yelled "Yeah!!" when I read this. My wife gave me a weird look.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes   Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 9:52 pm

cant blame ya wolf
Omigawa is a pretty dangerous fighter right know and can give anynoe in the division a tough out

They are stockpiling these two divisions alot better know that they are under the UFC banner instead of the WEC banner
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes   Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 9:55 pm

I think they are putting more effort into it now because of brand recognition. There were still people who either didn't know what WEC was or hadn't seen a WEC event until just last month. Now that the divisions are being folded into the UFC brand it's time to really get serious and sign what little of the top ten in each division they didn't already have.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes   Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 9:57 pm

It's a shame they gave him a blanket for his first fight back.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes   Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 9:59 pm

They had to give him someone in the top ten and most of the others are either not in the UFC yet or booked or injured.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes   Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 10:01 pm

yeah I know.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes   Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 10:03 pm

I dont see a problem with hinm fighting Mendes
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes   Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 11:39 pm

My first thought "Awesome!!"
My second thought "I wish he wasn't fighting a LnP faggot"
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes   Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 12:46 am

Sweet.

Bout time. UFC is raiding Japan. Even they realize their FW division is past best if sold by date. Kid and Omigawa are big pick ups. Bibiano is probably next.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes   Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 5:36 am

It certainly was a great signing for the UFC, name recognition is really going to do favors for the FW and BW divisions. On Omigawa, aside from commenting on the obvious angle of Japanese FW/BWs in the US/UFC, this guy has really killed it since dropping down a division. Some very impressive wins since the drop. Before moving down, if you remember he was in the UFC as a LW with loses to like Winman and Tavares. Now has a win over Sandro and Hioki I believe. That said, I wouldn't be surpirsed to see Mendes win here, infact I'd probably pick him via takedowns and LnP.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes   Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 pm

I was hoping him and Sandro would rematch, I had Sandro winning that on my score card. It was a close fight but I don't agree with the title tiebreaker method they used. It's not out of the question that they still might rematch one day.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes   Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 2:16 pm

I like it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes   Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes Empty

Back to top Go down

Update : Omigawa signs with UFC, to debut against Chad Mendes
Page 1 of 1