Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ultimate Book Thread

Go down 
+8
KingsOwn19
OU
josh200612
bobbitt15
Ziggy116
Birdofthad
Primetyme199
GDPofDRC
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

Ultimate Book Thread Empty
PostSubject: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 2:20 pm

I know people in here are readers because I know. So what are you reading, what do you suggest to people, what are your thoughts on what you've read?

study
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 2:21 pm

All the ZA furor lately prompted me to go pick up World War Z last night. Like a mockumentary government study finding on the zombie war and it's world impacts. People have been telling me about it for a while.

On the topic of apocalypse, I recommend Earth Abides to interested people. The absence of people replaces reanimation of the dead as the renaissance of human society amongst its collapse. Part of the narration reads very similar to the TV show, Life After Man, as it chronicles the reclamation of the built environment by natural forces, which is interesting in its accuracy considering when the book was written.
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 2:40 pm

I just got From The Fields To The Garden. Only read a couple of chapters so far but it's good. It's the Stitch Duran story.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 4:00 pm

The Stranger Beside Me

Just got done reading Ring of Hate about Schmelling and Louis it was a great read

Dark Trade is probably the best boxing book I have ever read
Back to top Go down
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rampage, Fedor, Gangster brothers, Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 11:31 am

I love non-fiction but haven't read much lately. I like Harlan Coben, James Patterson and the Dan Brown books, but was not a fan at all of The Lost Symbol.

Need something to to read.
Back to top Go down
https://apps.facebook.com/groupsplus/group.php?id=2139
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 2:11 pm

I just finished the Lost Dogs about the Vick case and the rehabilitation efforts of the dogs that they saved. Brought back my hatred for him 500% not that it ever really went away
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 2:22 pm

hey bobbitt what did he kill the beagles for?
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 2:55 am

Message to all the dudes who posted in the zombie threads, World War Z is cooler than seahorses and seashells under a light house at a sea hell party.

Addicting approach to story telling because there is no centralism on setting and characters. It's all told from the perspective of a variety of personal interviews and touches on so many unique aspects of, things...

Picked up The Devil in a White City, that's my next read. It's about a serial killer at the 1893 World's Fair held in Chicago. An deeply interesting setting in itself if you've ever read or seen anything about the World's Fair back then. The story intertwines the lives of the serial killer and the man who was the main architect of the White City they built for the fair. It is non-fiction, by the way. I'll let yall know what I think.

Has anyone read The Road?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 9:38 am

This thread discriminates against half the board. I demand it be removed.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 2:46 am

I'm reading Sarah Silverman's new book right now. Pretty funny so far
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 3:05 am

OU wrote:

But how could you even know that?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 3:07 am

I'll also be starting Dennis Lehane's Moonlight Mile shortly. He was the author of both Mystic River and Shutter Island and I immensely enjoyed both novels before they were turned into films. I'm looking forward to this one (he wrote Gone Baby Gone as well but I never read that one)
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 4:35 am

Last book i read was Intensity by Dean Koontz.

Thrilling for most of the book, gets kind of gay at the end which has become a trend with most Koontz books i read. A sappy ending to a thrilling Koontz book is becoming to me like "nobody is dead and everything's back to normal" ending for the old Goosebumps books.

Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 4:57 am

Kings, are you a fan of Koontz? I grew up reading nearly everything that Stephen King wrote and was told by fans of his that in comparison Koontz's writing came off a little amateurish and there were pretty much just straight forward easy reads. I've always wanted to see what some of them were about that. It sounds to me like a lot of recent stuff he's done is pretty corny though
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 12:21 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
All the ZA furor lately prompted me to go pick up World War Z last night. Like a mockumentary government study finding on the zombie war and it's world impacts. People have been telling me about it for a while.

On the topic of apocalypse, I recommend Earth Abides to interested people. The absence of people replaces reanimation of the dead as the renaissance of human society amongst its collapse. Part of the narration reads very similar to the TV show, Life After Man, as it chronicles the reclamation of the built environment by natural forces, which is interesting in its accuracy considering when the book was written.

Speaking of ZA books, I just picked up a couple by Joe McKinney. Dead City and Apocalypse of the Dead.

I've almost finished the first book...and will pry be starting the next one in the upcoming couple of days...after that I may go check out the World War Z book.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 12:26 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
OU wrote:

But how could you even know that?

Have you seen those Burger King commercials about the chicken sandwiches? Where the guy has both hands full so someone else is his hands. Well I have someone standing behind me that will read everything out loud. Mine has a British accent. Everything sounds so sophisticated that way.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 10:51 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Kings, are you a fan of Koontz? I grew up reading nearly everything that Stephen King wrote and was told by fans of his that in comparison Koontz's writing came off a little amateurish and there were pretty much just straight forward easy reads. I've always wanted to see what some of them were about that. It sounds to me like a lot of recent stuff he's done is pretty corny though

I'd agree with that assessment of Koontz in contrast to King. His stuff isnt that complex but his books that i've read are hard to put down. He knows how to leave you wanting more but seems to take the easy way out with his endings. King is much better than Koontz. I read a Koontz book called "Tick Tock" awhile ago, and that was pretty much a thicker, more vulger, Goosebumps book. Extremely corny, but i remember reading in a review that making a corny book was his aim with that one. "Intensity" is a good one. If you ever seen the movie "Haute Tension" you would be amazed on how much that movie rips off that book without giving it credit.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 2:58 pm

A list of some recent(and some not so recent) books I've read.

No Country for Old Men was very good.

Water for Elephants was good.

Couldn't finish Lawrence in Arabia. Kind of seemed like the same thing over and over.

Same for Three cups of Tea.

Old school book of choice is Shelley's Frankenstein. Excellent. Written when the girl was in her teens(or something like that).

1776 was GREAT.

Adams(which like 1776 was written by McCullough) very good.

Team of Rivals was very good, puts Lincoln in a different light then I ever considered. It also relealed Ulysses S Grant as a very intriguing character, and if anyone knows a good book on him during the civil war i'd appreciate it.

No Ordinary times, was pretty good, about FDR and his wife, I enjoyed the parts that revolved around the war more so then other parts.

The Malcolm X autobiography was excellent.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Ultimate thread of Book   Ultimate Book Thread EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 1:41 am

Couldn't find the other main book thread, though I think it was only was only two pages deep anyways if I recall.

Bought Could Atlas in print the day after I saw the film. I have not been disappointed. It is a conglomeration of stories from different time periods ranging from the mid 1800's to a future several hundred years off.

All of the stories have a varying level of interesting-ness which is amplified by the differing prose. For example, a section of the book is written entirely in the form of Diary entries of a young 1850's San Francisco Lawyer. In a sense it is difficult reading compared to how communication is dictated by today's norms. Or another part that is written entirely of letters composed to by a eccentric aspiring composer in the early 1900's to his abandoned lover. I'm currently on a section about a 1970's black journalist way over her head in a dangerous story being told as an afterthought in an almost corny rag magazine style, like something you would read from a readers digest.

It's very fun to read.

I have a modern Syfy book waiting after this, Robopocalypse, typical AI vs Human story it would seem.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 2:07 am

Strictly books or could this thread include Graphic Novels ?
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 2:13 am

yeeeeah i guess.

I like Batman: Year One, first Graphic Novel I ever owned. Had it when I was younger and it took me growing up to actually start to appreciate it. They made an animated movie based entirely on it a couple of years ago, entirely true to the panels. I got, I liked it still.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 2:22 am

GDPofDRC wrote:
yeeeeah i guess.

I like Batman: Year One, first Graphic Novel I ever owned. Had it when I was younger and it took me growing up to actually start to appreciate it. They made an animated movie based entirely on it a couple of years ago, entirely true to the panels. I got, I liked it still.

That's a fantastic novel, you can see it influenced Nolan's Batman world. I enjoyed reading Batman: Long Halloween a while back, a really interesting insight into Harvey Dent's character.

A series I'd strongly recommend would be Y The Last Man, just a gorgeous, entertaining, witty odyssey to read.

I've been trying to work my way through Garth Ennis' The Boys but it's not been easy or as great as Preacher was.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Recommended Reading List   Ultimate Book Thread EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 9:02 pm

figure just post good books youve read recenty in case anyone is interested

Black Banners - FBI agent Ali Soufan detailing his interrogations of High Value Al Qaeda prior to CIA enhanced interrogations.

Fiasco - best book out their on the Iraq war from 2003-2006

The Dark Side - details the moves taken by Cheney and his lawyer after 9-11 which allowed Bush almost unchecked Executive powers, also deals with the process that allowed the CIA to get into killing abroad again. Oggy you should really check this out, because this is directly tied to our drone program now. Whether you aree with the olicies or not its worth knowing what actually happened.

whats yalls? Im up for anything even hard core conservative shit.........just no Tito biographies.
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 9:36 pm

Erm I was expecting actual novels.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 10:40 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
figure just post good books youve read recenty in case anyone is interested

Black Banners - FBI agent Ali Soufan detailing his interrogations of High Value Al Qaeda prior to CIA enhanced interrogations.

Fiasco - best book out their on the Iraq war from 2003-2006

The Dark Side - details the moves taken by Cheney and his lawyer after 9-11 which allowed Bush almost unchecked Executive powers, also deals with the process that allowed the CIA to get into killing abroad again. Oggy you should really check this out, because this is directly tied to our drone program now. Whether you aree with the olicies or not its worth knowing what actually happened.

whats yalls? Im up for anything even hard core conservative shit.........just no Tito biographies.

That's nice, how bout some fiction though?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Book Thread   Ultimate Book Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Ultimate Book Thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next