Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rickson Gracie vs Rei Zulu : The Battle for Supremacy

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Rickson Gracie vs Rei Zulu : The Battle for Supremacy Empty
PostRickson Gracie vs Rei Zulu : The Battle for Supremacy

Rickson Gracie vs Rei Zulu : The Battle for Supremacy Rei-zulu

Everyone on this site should be familiar with the Gracie legend by now. They were a family of amazing jiu jiutsu practitioner's. Helio Gracie and brother Carlos Gracie taught the family clan Gracie Jiu Jitsu and they won. The family never lost a fight in over hundreds if not thousands of matches. They became the best grapplers and fighters in Brazil and later gained universal fame when Royce Gracie won 3 of the the first 4 UFC events.

However, the Gracie's were not the only skilled fighter's in Brazil. In 1963 a fighter by the name of Rei Zulu was 18 when he had his first match. Of course there is no way of knowing the truth but legend has it that Rei would win for 17 years, never losing a match. It is said that by 1980 Rei was 150-0. True or not, we do know for a fact that Rei would issue a challenge to the Gracie's in 1980.

Another thing that is clear is that the Gracie's took Zulu seriously, they decided Rickson Gracie would face Rei Zulu. Rickson Gracie is considered by many to be the best Gracie to ever fight. His rumored Brazilian fight record was 400-0. Seriously, thats the number that gets thrown around, he fought in sanctioned MMA and is undefeated.

The fight was televised on Brazilian television, it was a huge event and was sure to send shockwaves through the Brazilian Vale Tudo / Jiu Jitsu world. Simply put, the fight did. Rei Zulu was a legitimately feared striker and it was obvious Rickson was wary of standing from the beginning. Early in the fight Rickson seems to get overwhelmed in a clinch and pulls guard but Zulu slams him pretty good. Rickson uses the Gracie guard and heel strikes and tries to stand but surprisingly Zulu keeps him on the ground. It was a big mistake, Zulu tired and was picked apart by Rickson, Rickson works a great transition, gets Zulu's back and gets a rear naked choke.

It may have not been the best fight ever and yes, I am sure records have been and were inflated, but this was a historic bout that not many people have heard about. This bout is the main reason why Zuluzino (Zulu's son) faced Fedor. This fight also preserved the Gracie legend and showed that their style could beat another top challenger in the sport. Rickson and Rei would fight in a rematch a couple years later and Rickson would win via RNC again. However, it failed to live up to the first battle. Hopefully you will check out the fight and enjoy.

Last edited by Birdofthad on Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:27 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Rickson Gracie vs Rei Zulu : The Battle for Supremacy :: Comments

GDPofDRC
Re: Rickson Gracie vs Rei Zulu : The Battle for Supremacy
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:44 am by GDPofDRC
Good stuff man. I really wish Rickson would of fought a few more fight in Pride before he retired. Fights against some more talented opponents. He was born about 10 years to soon.
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:45 am by Birdofthad
agree its too bad he didnt continue fighting on but cant blame him he probably had over a hundred fights
GDPofDRC
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:58 am by GDPofDRC
lol, I bet he'd tell you more than that.

Rickson always reminds me of Boondocks' A Matter of Pride video and how it implies Rickson and Sakuraba should of squared up. I wish they had.

Great movie making, anyone know if Boondock makes movies still?
Wolfgangsta
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:23 am by Wolfgangsta
MMA from 1980. Very rare.
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:30 am by Birdofthad
ya man rickson vs sakuraba woulda been classic
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:10 am by Birdofthad
who do you think would have won though? I think RIckson was big enough to beat Sakuraba but who knows
GDPofDRC
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:37 pm by GDPofDRC
Birdofthad wrote:
who do you think would have won though? I think RIckson was big enough to beat Sakuraba but who knows

Hard to say. But I'd pick Sakuraba. He was pretty damn good 10 years ago. His wins were always kind of surprising too. I thought Royce would beat him.
Wolfgangsta
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:15 pm by Wolfgangsta
Saku would have beat him easily
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:37 pm by Birdofthad
Royce would have beat him if he hadnt demanded his retarded Gracie rules

go watch the fight Royce controls the first 30 minutes for the most part
Birdofthad wrote:
I would enjoy it if this was in the blog section I hope to have some posts there i just dont know how to put it tehre

just talk to wolf and/or ludo. Shoot them a PM about it. Sure looks worthy to me.
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:19 pm by Birdofthad
will do thanks OU glad ya enjoyed it
Bird, all you have to do is copy and paste this post(including the video embed code) into the blog section since your part of the blogmaster group. Just open up the blog board and post a new topic like you would in any other section.

Nice work by the way. Rickson would have fared much better than Royce against Sakuraba since he was actually capable of striking without kneeing someone in the balls. I still think Sakuraba of ten years ago would have won in the end though he simply had the Gracie jiu jitsu style figured out and was all wrong for it.
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:58 pm by Birdofthad
Thanks Ludo, well if yall dont mind I will put this in the blog thread, Glad you enjoyed it and I agree wtih what your saying Ludo, Rickson's stand up was the best of the Gracie's more than likely, this gives him a much better chance than the other Gracie's.
Wolfgangsta
Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:08 am by Wolfgangsta
Bird is this the same version? We could just import this thread to blog with comments and everything if you want.
Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:10 am by Birdofthad
oh snap ya its same version, just copy and pasted it in blog section, either way Im fine thanks yall for teacheing me how to do it
Wolfgangsta
Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:20 am by Wolfgangsta
moved it.
Wolfgangsta
Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:24 am by Wolfgangsta
Shit bird this version doesn't have that awesome pic. Add that again.
I love this piece, I enjoyed it very much. Great work Bird.
Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:19 pm by Birdofthad
Thanks OU glad you guys enjoyed it, I was just thinking back on Zuluzino and decided Rei Zulu needed some love

Rickson Gracie vs Rei Zulu : The Battle for Supremacy

Page 1 of 1