Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why Fighters Fight

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

Why Fighters Fight Empty
PostWhy Fighters Fight

Why Fighters Fight.
By Ludo
Ninjasplace.com

I'm sure if you asked many fighters in mixed martial arts you would receive a variety of answers. Some do it because they just love to fight, some for the competition, some for the money, and some simply because it's easier than getting a "real" job as put by Phil Baroni. For all the various reasons one might have to become a professional fighter the reason itself is seldom even thought about. All we tend to think about as fans is what fighters do inside the cage or ring while occasionally paying attention to what they might say in an interview.

A fighters last performance means more on the grand scale than why someone got into this business to begin with. Though perhaps some more attention should be paid to how someone arrived at the decision to enter into mixed martial arts. It's one thing to train some jiu jitsu at the gym to stay in shape; it is quite another however to step into the cage with the intention of knocking someone out. I would presume that for many fighters the question "why did you become a fighter?" they would find it difficult to sum it up in a one word answer. Those who could are likely those who didn't enjoy lengthy and illustrious careers.

Some have had the kinds of performances and careers that answer that question without having to say a single word. Some have accomplished things that leave no question as to why they got into mixed martial arts. Some have put forth the kinds of performances that might lead one to question why they decided to become a fighter in the first place. Despite the last category there are a select few whom have escalated by way of performance sometimes in and out of the cage/ring that make it clear the answer is simply that they were born for this.

Whatever the reason that those fighters chose to be professional fighters we as fans of mixed martial arts are better off for it.

Last edited by Ludo on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Why Fighters Fight :: Comments

Wolfgangsta
Re: Why Fighters Fight
Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:32 am by Wolfgangsta
I think there are three types of MMA fighters that are commonly represented in terms of motivation.

1. Fighters. Nick Diaz and Quinton Jackson are the archetype fighters in this category. If you asked them at their peaks why they are there and what they are looking to do, the answer is always a blunt "whoops someones ass".

2. Athletes. Randy Couture is the archetype athlete. If you know anything about Randy, you know he "loves to compete". A lot of wrestlers with a competitive drive go down this avenue once their wrestling career has ended.

3. Martial Artists. Lyoto Machida is a name that comes to mind. He isn't there to whoop someones ass, or to simply compete with violence, but defend something less tangible and more spiritual.

A lot of fighters I think struggle with their identity at various points during their careers. Many MMAists are hybrids. BJ Penn is a fighter-martial artist. GSP is an athlete-martial artist. Chael Sonnen is a fighter-athlete.
Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:50 am by Guest
Brock is an athlete for sure.
Wolfgangsta
Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:57 am by Wolfgangsta
freakzilla316ftw wrote:
Brock is an athlete for sure.

I was thinking about him when I said I think some fighters struggle with this. Before this last fight he started talking about how he is a "fighter" now. He didn't seem entirely comfortable with what he is. Doubly now, I think.
Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:12 am by Guest
He will never be a fighter. He doesn't have the natural instinct of fighting back when he's getting punched in the face. He'll always be an athlete.
Wolfgangsta
Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:28 am by Wolfgangsta
That underlines his struggle.
Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:36 am by Guest
If he was 10 years younger and was brought along slowly then he could've probably adapted but I think it's too late now.
MMAEYES
Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:21 am by MMAEYES
Wolfgangsta wrote:
I think there are three types of MMA fighters that are commonly represented in terms of motivation.

1. Fighters. Nick Diaz and Quinton Jackson are the archetype fighters in this category. If you asked them at their peaks why they are there and what they are looking to do, the answer is always a blunt "whoops someones ass".

2. Athletes. Randy Couture is the archetype athlete. If you know anything about Randy, you know he "loves to compete". A lot of wrestlers with a competitive drive go down this avenue once their wrestling career has ended.

3. Martial Artists. Lyoto Machida is a name that comes to mind. He isn't there to whoop someones ass, or to simply compete with violence, but defend something less tangible and more spiritual.

A lot of fighters I think struggle with their identity at various points during their careers. Many MMAists are hybrids. BJ Penn is a fighter-martial artist. GSP is an athlete-martial artist. Chael Sonnen is a fighter-athlete.

Agreed. This is pretty much spot on imo
timthebim
Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:29 pm by timthebim
Simply put fighters fight for money. If u dig alittle deeper u can talk about the thrill of the competition or other things like that but deep down fighting is alot better than a 9 to 5 job. Could u picture Rampage working in a store or a fast food joint? me either?
Ninja
Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:47 pm by Ninja
Wolfgangsta wrote:

Where does Fedor fall?
Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:50 pm by Guest
I'd say Fedor is a mix of 3 and 1 even though the 2 sort of contradict one another.
Wolfgangsta
Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:02 pm by Wolfgangsta
Good question about Fedor. Many fighters probably couldn't be squeezed in any category, but I'd say Fedor is closest to a martial artist.
MMAEYES
Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:30 am by MMAEYES
Fedor is martial arts athlete. He was an athlete, competed in Sambo, but he also has that fell of defending something less tangible and more spiritual as wolf says.
Wolfgangsta
Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:07 pm by Wolfgangsta
Was also a Judo player too.
Post  by Sponsored content

Why Fighters Fight

Page 1 of 1