Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Randy back to light heavy

Go down 
+5
SOKO
NoRegret
Jruq
OU
captain organic
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

Randy back to light heavy Empty
PostSubject: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 11:26 am

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/couture-likes-light-heavyweight-19448

Sounds cool, there are some good fights for him there. I think there are still some good fights for him at heavy, but obviously Brock is way too big, and I thought Nog looked much bigger as well. I still want Page to matchup with Lyoto after he fights evans but a Randy-Jackson fight would be cool.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 11:30 am

I want to see him whoop up on Tito again. What about Lil Nog vs Randy?
Back to top Go down
Jruq
Green Belt
Green Belt
Jruq

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 11:36 am

Randy would go to sleep against Rampage. Jackson is hard to take down and hits too hard and fast for the old man. I think he's too slow for most LHWs actually.

I suppose it would be intriguing to see how he would do, but I think I will end up feeling bad for him after he gets KO'd.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 12:25 pm

Randy vs. Rich Franklin could be a decent fight, but I think Rich would out-point him on striking and take it to a decision.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 12:34 pm

What about avenging his loss to big bro(Nog) by taking it out on lil bro(lil Nog)?
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 12:41 pm

randy vs cain would of been nice. At lhw he better go up against wrestlers cause any stricker will pick him apart he is getting a bit slower.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 12:43 pm

I have mixed feelings about this. I tend to agree with Jruq, Randy will get put to sleep against most of the 205ers at the top of the division. I'll be interested to see who they match him up against first.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 12:43 pm

I think Cain would destroy him.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 12:45 pm

I think Randy would beat Forrest, Jardine, Thiago Silva, Tito, Luiz Cane, Vera, Hammill and plenty others. I would pick Randy to beat everyone I listed. So I think the move is good.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 12:53 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
I think Randy would beat Forrest, Jardine, Thiago Silva, Tito, Luiz Cane, Vera, Hammill and plenty others. I would pick Randy to beat everyone I listed. So I think the move is good.

I think most of those guys would give Randy a hell of a fight, and none of those guys are in title contention.

When I think of Randy I think of title fights, title contention, and I don't think he'll be in either of those at 205.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 12:58 pm

Bigs03 wrote:
OUSOONERSOU wrote:

I think most of those guys would give Randy a hell of a fight, and none of those guys are in title contention.

When I think of Randy I think of title fights, title contention, and I don't think he'll be in either of those at 205.

Yeah well those days are officially over, Randy is all about interesting matchups these days. That is why I am predicting a Spider vs Randy matchup so Nate can take on Hendo.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 1:23 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
What about avenging his loss to big bro(Nog) by taking it out on lil bro(lil Nog)?

Well it's not the typical route. In most cases one brother will try to avenge the loss of the other brother. Going after a little brother after a big brother beats you up sounds kind of fucked up. But I'm cool with that matchup.

Personally Im not counting Randy out vs anybody outside of Machida(or Spider) at 205. What he can't beat a guy that Forrest Griffen beat? Jardine gave Page a heck of a fight, so would Randy.
Back to top Go down
Jruq
Green Belt
Green Belt
Jruq

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 2:21 pm

You guys know they are twins, right?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 2:49 pm

Jruq wrote:
You guys know they are twins, right?

Yeah I know they are twins but they fight at 2 different weight classes. 1 fights at HW and 1 fights at LHW. 1 is bigger and 1 is smaller, hints the nickname "lil Nog". I think everyone is aware of that.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 2:49 pm

I don't see Randy winning many fights at LHW, yeah there are some intriguing mtachups, but he'd be in trouble against a lot of guys.

And a Anderson fight? are we serious?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 2:54 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
I don't see Randy winning many fights at LHW, yeah there are some intriguing mtachups, but he'd be in trouble against a lot of guys.

And a Anderson fight? are we serious?

I disagree and yes I think Randy could put on a good fight vs the god they call Anderson Silva. Randy is a true warrior and a handful for any fighter in the world. Any fighter in the world doesn't bring their A game and Randy is going to give them hell.
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 3:02 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
Bigs03 wrote:
OUSOONERSOU wrote:

Yeah well those days are officially over, Randy is all about interesting matchups these days. That is why I am predicting a Spider vs Randy matchup so Nate can take on Hendo.
the spider is just a faster version of nog IMO or close enough to compare so I think this is a bad matchup.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 3:03 pm

I don't think Randy would give Anderson much trouble at all. Anderson is WAY to quick for Randy. Anderson's striking is head and shoulders above Randy's.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 3:05 pm

How many times did Nog drop Randy? Imagine what Anderson would do, I bet Randy would be finished in the 1st, not a good matchup at all. I also think that if Randy got him down, Anderson has the subs off his back to finish it.

When I look at the landscape of the LHW division, I don't like many fights for him other than Tito or Coleman.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 3:08 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
How many times did Nog drop Randy? Imagine what Anderson would do, I bet Randy would be finished in the 1st, not a good matchup at all. I also think that if Randy got him down, Anderson has the subs off his back to finish it.

When I look at the landscape of the LHW division, I don't like many fights for him other than Tito or Coleman.

Really? I think Randy beats Forrest, Jardine, Thiago Silva, Vera, Hammill, Franklin, Luiz Cane, Tito just off the top of my head. I think Randy can and would beat any of those guys. Just my opinion though.
Back to top Go down
CainVelasquezFan
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
CainVelasquezFan

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cain Velasquez and Diaz Brothers, Urijah Faber, Gilbert Melendez and Jon Jones

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 6:35 pm

have randy fight the winner of Ortiz-Coleman..so basically have him fight Tito

maybe even a Couture-Liddell 4? in the future
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 7:45 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:

Really? I think Randy beats Forrest, Jardine, Thiago Silva, Vera, Hammill, Franklin, Luiz Cane, Tito just off the top of my head. I think Randy can and would beat any of those guys. Just my opinion though.

Ya, but what you didn't tell us is who you think he can beat.

Luiz Cane would lead to an ambulance ride, but really I am not sure he could beat a lot of those guys.

Randy wins fights by out striking and out working larger, slower guys like Gonzaga and Sylvia. Yes he uses clinching and ground fighting too, but all his fights have significant portions where Randy establishes dominance in the striking. Ones where that doesn't happen, he loses. He will lose against many LHW. He would be able to land punches and slip punches, but eventually he'd get caught, and at 46 I really question his durability. Liddell stopped him twice, Brock stopped him, and Nog rocked him many times. He was hit in all those fights. He took almost no punches from either Gabe or Tim. Brock and Nog both have good heavyweight speed, but most top LHW's are at least as fast or faster. Randy is 46. Randy will enter his next fight another near six months and three rounds of heavy punches to the head older and slower against a field of guys who are all improving.

Randy - do not move to LHW. NO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
OUSOONERSOU wrote:

Ya, but what you didn't tell us is who you think he can beat.

Luiz Cane would lead to an ambulance ride, but really I am not sure he could beat a lot of those guys.

Randy wins fights by out striking and out working larger, slower guys like Gonzaga and Sylvia. Yes he uses clinching and ground fighting too, but all his fights have significant portions where Randy establishes dominance in the striking. Ones where that doesn't happen, he loses. He will lose against many LHW. He would be able to land punches and slip punches, but eventually he'd get caught, and at 46 I really question his durability. Liddell stopped him twice, Brock stopped him, and Nog rocked him many times. He was hit in all those fights. He took almost no punches from either Gabe or Tim. Brock and Nog both have good heavyweight speed, but most top LHW's are at least as fast or faster. Randy is 46. Randy will enter his next fight another near six months and three rounds of heavy punches to the head older and slower against a field of guys who are all improving.

Randy - do not move to LHW. NO.

Well those are his more recent wins, and as he is a small heavy of coarse his wins there were going to come against larger guys. And I don't see how losing to a prime Chuck years ago, and more recently to a humoungous Brock or Nog mean he can't win against some of the 205ers.

Tito would be a very interesting matchup. and why not a Randy Chuck IV? Forrest, Jardine, Vera etc. There are some winnable quality fights for him at 205.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 6:02 pm

Quote :
Well those are his more recent wins, and as he is a small heavy of coarse his wins there were going to come against larger guys. And I don't see how losing to a prime Chuck years ago, and more recently to a humoungous Brock or Nog mean he can't win against some of the 205ers.

Tito would be a very interesting matchup. and why not a Randy Chuck IV? Forrest, Jardine, Vera etc. There are some winnable quality fights for him at 205.

You don't see how those losses mean he can't compete with the top of the division because you don't understand how he fights, how he has won all his recent fights or how he lost. Read what I said again. Look at his last seven fights. Slow strikers that can't catch him lose, everyone that is fast enough to catch him rocks him and wins. Simple as that. Jardine and Vera would be tough fights where he'd have a high likelyhood of losing. While Jardine has been stopped recently, Randy doesn't have the kind of pop or intensity to replicate what Wandy and Houston did, and has never shown the one punch ability of Thiago. Jardine would land something in the second or third rounds and TKO him. Vera would be an even tougher fight as he is faster than Randy by far, longer, and has great clinching defense though both established greco and muay thai backgrounds. I am not saying he is better in the clinch than Randy, but I am saying he could nullify that aspect of the fight enough to force more stand up exchanges. Vera would murk him in that department. No one wants to see Couture lose to Jardine or Vera.

Look at his last seven fights. Randy can beat big oafs with slow telegraphed punches who can't wrestle and Mike Van Arsdale. He loses to everyone else.

People make it out like Brock beat Randy do to size. No sir, Randy handled his wrestling, gnp and strength fine, it was his reach and speed that felled Couture. Couture even saw what he threw, he just couldn't slip it.

People make it out like Nog's small size advantage or superior BJJ won him the fight, again not true. It was the fact he beat the shit out of Randy for three rounds in slugfests. The sub attempts were only facilitated by the fact Nog slapped Randy silly when they were standing and trading. Watch the Pedro Rizzo fights and look at how Randy handles harder punches than the ones Nog were throwing.

I know Randy looks good for his age, but I am pretty sure if he in his current state had to fight the Tim or Gabe fights again, he'd probably lose. Especially the Tim one(if Tim were the same fighter he was back then)

Loss Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Decision (Unanimous) UFC 102 - Couture vs. Nogueira 8/29/2009 3 5:00
Loss Brock Lesnar TKO (Punches) UFC 91 - Couture vs. Lesnar 11/15/2008 2 3:07
Win Gabriel Gonzaga TKO (Punches) UFC 74 - Respect 8/25/2007 3 1:37
Win Tim Sylvia Decision (Unanimous) UFC 68 - Uprising 3/3/2007 5 5:00
Loss Chuck Liddell KO (Punch) UFC 57 - Liddell vs Couture 3 2/4/2006 2 1:28
Win Mike Van Arsdale Submission (Anaconda Choke) UFC 54 - Boiling Point 8/20/2005 3 0:52
Loss Chuck Liddell KO (Punches) UFC 52 - Couture vs Liddell 2 4/16/2005 1 2:06
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 6:12 pm

But Randy traded well with Nog, especially early, but Nog was not phased, while Randy was Rocked. As far as Brock, I think it's fair to say his power is somewhat related to his size.

When does Jardine KO guys? Who has Forrest KO'd? Vera went the distance with Reese Andy!!! And none of these guys are especially quick either. Certainly none of these guys can be compared to a prime Chuck.

Plenty of quality matchups for Randy at 205.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Randy back to light heavy   Randy back to light heavy Empty

Back to top Go down

Randy back to light heavy
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next