Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bellator in trouble?

Go down 
+7
killerofchicken
Andrew the Raider King
MMAEYES
Birdofthad
KingsOwn19
LA
Wolfgangsta
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Bellator in trouble? Empty
PostSubject: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 1:59 am

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/11/8/1802082/rumour-bellator-finances-about-to-go-way-down-south

# I really wish I wasn't the bearer of bad news. Bellator has kept me thoroughly entertained since the summer of 2009. However, things with Bellator are starting to 'hit the fan'. As of this morning, Bellator does not have a television deal to air their season four tournament scheduled for the beginning of 2011. Negotiations with G4 supposedly fell through around the time DirecTV decided to drop the channel from their lineup.

# Each Bellator show costs the organization around $400,000. A fee of $65,000 is paid to NBC (similar to what the IFL did) to broadcast regionally in hopes that NBC will pick up the program for a national time slot. They make roughly around $20,000 from sponsors per show which still leaves them in a substantial hole that gets deeper with every week of Bellator broadcasts.

# The hedge fund investing in Bellator understood they would take a loss when the organization was created, but with season three wrapping up, they are just not happy with the financial results thus far.

# Bjorn Rebney has given away a substantial portion of his share in Bellator away to investors solely for them not to 'pull the plug' on Bellator.

# Hence, one of the reasons why Bjorn has been pushing for an Eddie Alvarez vs. Gilbert Melendez fight is to not only garnish interest for Bellator, but if Eddie defeats Gilbert, Bjorn can then use that as leverage for his investors.

Doing some rough calcuations Bellator could be as much as $13,500,000 in the hole, now I have no idea what FSN pays them but I doubt it's significant enough to cover those losses and fighting a lawsuit from Zuffa is not cheap just ask Ken Shamrock and the large legal bill he's trying to pay off.

If these rumours ring true it leaves a large number of fighters with uncertain future's. Eddie Alvarez would draw the most attention with the both the oft-mentioned Melendez fight and Dana White recently admitting that he is a fan. Cole Konrad, Hector Lombard and Ben Askren would draw interest from both the UFC and Strikeforce while the UFC would be only realistic option for Joe Warren and Zach Makovsky.

Now I again stress that these are rumours and may come to nothing but if Bellator does indeed fold I wish the fighters the best and hope that something can be learned from this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 2:45 am

Sad if true, Bellator was doing a solid job and had the second best production in the business. I'm not gonna lie, I'd like to see all their top fighters go to the UFC, I'd say Warren, Pitbull and Soto would def now that the WEC merged, then Eddie would be great, and Lombard, Askren and Konrad all very solid adds.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 3:33 am

Well, if this article is accurate, it sounds like Bellator is pretty much finished. No TV deal for season 4. Almost 14 million in the hole. Consistantly shitty attendance in small venues. It sounds like a situation where the UFC or Strikeforce/Showtime will end up picking up the peices.

It would be a shame. Bellator has done a great job introducing new talent that can be among some of the best in the world in the future and I love their tournament model. I hope they find a way to stay afloat.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 3:56 am

sad to hear i men read
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 5:01 am

They would add great depth to Strikeforce.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 9:07 am

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
They would add great depth to Strikeforce.

It would be huge for SF if they could land some of those fighters, I don't want to see Bellator go under, but yeah even if they just got Eddie it would be huge for them.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 11:23 am

Well Strikeforce is valued at around $100 million. They could eat that and buy the whole organization and that would greatly add to their depth, which is not good.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 11:26 am

wtf is up with the china avatar?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 1:11 pm

http://mmajunkie.com/news/21336/bellator-exec-blasts-reports-of-impending-demise-says-new-tv-deal-official-soon.mma
To say that Bjorn Rebney disagrees with a recent report describing the impending demise of his fight promotion would be a slight understatement.

In fact, the Bellator Fighting Championships founder and CEO says the report is lacking one vastly important factor: the truth.

"Usually, when you see rumors that are completely ridiculous, they're coupled with something that's true," Rebney told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "In this instance, it's false on top of false on top of completely ridiculous on top of completely unfounded."

A weekend report on MiddleEasy.com outlined a series of issues Rebney and Bellator were said to be currently facing. Among the concerns were the lack of a television deal, angered investors looking to "pull the plug" on the promotion and a desperate need to arrange a long-discussed bout between Bellator lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez and his Strikeforce counterpart Gilbert Melendez as a last-ditch effort to save the company.

Wrong on all accounts, says Rebney.

"Either it's someone just starting rumors for the sake of starting rumors, or it's just the most ridiculous type of amateurish nonsense," Rebney said of the report. "I don't even like to call it journalism because it has no connection to reality.

"That blog, whoever that is that wrote that, is just so filled with nonsense. It's completely, unequivocally untrue on every front they wrote. It's literally as if someone stepped out and just said, 'I'm going to create whichever fantasy I choose to create, and I'm going to write it.' There wasn't even the slightest hint of accuracy or truth in anything that showed up on that blog.

"It's the downside and the negativity of the Internet. Any idiot can write any ridiculous, completely unfounded nonsense thing, and it can gain traction."
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 1:12 pm

there is alot more to it I didn't copy and paste.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Could be a dumb rumor, but I think Rebney is a semi-shady character just trying to save face here. Something about that guy...
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 3:39 pm

Oh man, sounds just as bad as Affliction collapsing
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 3:47 pm

Not as bad, they were way overpaying fighters on top of losing money on every show
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 4:00 pm

LA wrote:
Not as bad, they were way overpaying fighters on top of losing money on every show

Making 20k on a 400k show on top of paying 65k to have to air your cards is very bad
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 4:02 pm

That's just from sponsors
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 4:03 pm

hope they stay around, but I have a feeling they won't be around in 2012.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 4:05 pm

IF the report is to be believed. They didnt really offer a true source to their information and i've personally seen a lot of garbage posted on middleasy and bloody elbow.

Affliction never had a chance. There were fighters on the preliminary card making main event money.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 4:09 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
IF the report is to be believed. They didnt really offer a true source to their information and i've personally seen a lot of garbage posted on middleasy and bloody elbow.

Affliction never had a chance. There were fighters on the preliminary card making main event money.

Yup, Timmy making like 800k in the Fedor fight No
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 4:17 pm

Lol 250k for Lindland and 1.5 million for AA
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 4:57 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:

same here
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 10:54 am

I don't know about the rest of the stuff, but as of now, Bellator does not have a TV deal, their last TV deal was severly lacking, and one of their recent shows drew about 900 people.

Of coarse it's pretty much standard procedure to question the viablity of any non UFC organization, wether founded on solid ground or not.

And conversely Bjorn could very much be doing damage control with his strong retort.

It would be very interesting to see where the fighters went if indeed they fold.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 2:57 pm

My dream sequence would involve the UFC buying Bellator and using it as a developmental league as the WEC was used. Now that the WEC is inside the UFC, the UFC could use another developmental brand. Stick em back on VS, do weekly tournament shows just like they did. They could roll out FW this way, build the division, and later absorb into the UFC. If they kept the womens fights and FlyW, then they would have a similar hook to the WEC, in that they may not be "UFC" but it's the same company with the world champion in a weight class the UFC doesn't have.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 2:59 pm

I would love to see TUF have live fights on FSN for their tournys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bellator in trouble?   Bellator in trouble? Empty

Back to top Go down

Bellator in trouble?
Page 1 of 1